Watercooling (reservoir installation)

Greetings all.

I come once again ask something cause I really don't know. 

I am designing a computer desk. (in some ways, similar to the so known Red Harbinger Cross Desk)

My question stands for the placement of the reservoirs. I am thinking on install them on one of the legs and wander if there is 

any problem besides I may need to install a stronger pump to make the water run from a so low position (in comparison to the components that will be placed juts under the top of the desk).

Appreciate any help.

If you're running an MCP-655, you're never going to have a pressure issue. Having a second for redundancy would also help you out. To be fair, this all relies on the number of blocks and radiators you plan to use, but dual MCP-655s are more than enough for any setup.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Generally speaking the resevoir should be above the pump, just to make sure the pump doesn't run dry especially when filling the loop.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

From the sounds of it I can't say that I support the idea of placing them on the legs for multiple reasons to include the increased probabilty of hitting them with your legs or a chair.  Without a drawing or something to see it's hard to say whether or not this is an idea that can be functional and safe for your rig at the same time.

Generally speaking the resevoir should be above the pump, just to make sure the pump doesn't run dry especially when filling the loop.

thanks both for the help. and yes that make sense on the physics..  i wonder if there is a way to "fix" that. maybe fill the loop with and "outside" reservoir and then conect to that one?.. wondering.. gonna run some test

OK, just brainstorm.. if I Install the pump under the reservoir, but the loop and components going higher (50cm higher) will the pump work well? it will not be running dry, just pumping for a higher loop....

Well at least a Swiftech MCP655/Laing D5 or two, you should be golden.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

OK, just brainstorm.. if I Install the pump under the reservoir, but the loop and components going higher (50cm higher) will the pump work well? it will not be running dry, just pumping for a higher loop....

You could mount the pump directly to the bottom of the res using something like this: 

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16078/ex-res-368/Bitspower_Dual_Single_D5_Top_Upgrade_Kit_400_-_Black_BP-D5TOPUK400P-BKBKCL.html?tl=g30c97s152

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

so, resuming, there is not prob on having the reservoir in the leg, since i keep the pump bellow it. 

the Only down side is that the pump will have to push the water to a higher position..

right?

Correct.

Actually there would be no downside to the pump having to push the water up 50cm. Most full tower cases are more than 1m high anyway.

You can use a Bitspower D5 mod kit to mount the pump under the res. Koolance also produce a similar mount but the advantage of the bitspower one in this case is the pump cover you can buy for it, which hides the pump from view.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Actually there would be no downside to the pump having to push the water up 50cm. Most full tower cases are more than 1m high anyway.

You can use a Bitspower D5 mod kit to mount the pump under the res. Koolance also produce a similar mount but the advantage of the bitspower one in this case is the pump cover you can buy for it, which hides the pump from view.

Most full tower cases are not over 1m high at least in the consumer world.  1m is roughly 39.5 inches and to give you a reference, the 900D is just over 27 inches tall.

Most full tower cases are not over 1m high at least in the consumer world.  1m is roughly 39.5 inches and to give you a reference, the 900D is just over 27 inches tall.

You're right. My guestimation skills failed me. Well at any rate that still less than the 50cm proposed by the OP.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

i got it now.

It all stands for the power of the pump and the fact it never runs dry. so it is nothing to worry about. and to answer you, Ghost, the pump will be hide inside the leg anyway:P