What Do You Think About Windows 8.1?

My 2 complains is Microsoft should give you the option to have a window 7 skin format. While learning how to use window 8 you can switch back window 7 simply because you're already comfortable with where everything is even if it's not touchscreen friendly. Took me 30 mins to learn that "this PC" is my computer. I'm starting to like the start menu, but I do miss that 24/7 desktop layout. IMO it's just a better fit when it comes to themes and on the fly programs.

Major complain is when I'm gaming and I want to open a additional program. Now the start menu takes my game out of play and I'm force find what I'm looking for. Rather then gaming, and click my program in the task bar which allows me to multi task.

http://s1010.photobucket.com/user/tgunsg35/slideshow/PC%20build

Gaming rig: ASUS|CROSSHAIR V FORMULA Z-CASE CORSAIR VENGEANCE C70 BLK-ASUS HD7970 3G Crossfire-PSU CORSAIR AX1200i-CPU AMD FX-8350-CORSAIR 8g 1600DDR3-DVD BRN ASUS-CORSAIR H100I R-CORSAIR CSSD-F240GBG-ACER B6 B276HULymiidprz Black 27 1440p

If they had this option, people would use it all the time, including on their tablet, and you have 0 Windows 8 Modern UI apps.

People are afraid of change, that is the problem. Like every new Windows, it will take time. This version Windows will take more time than normal, as it's a big change, but if you look just on this very forum, more and more people prefer the Start Screen then the Start Menu, or at least, like the Start Screen and don't mind it.

If they had this option, people would use it all the time, including on their tablet, and you have 0 Windows 8 Modern UI apps.

People are afraid of change, that is the problem. Like every new Windows, it will take time. This version Windows will take more time than normal, as it's a big change, but if you look just on this very forum, more and more people prefer the Start Screen then the Start Menu, or at least, like the Start Screen and don't mind it.

see your point. Just saying they can make user friendly for the people that have a hard time with change. For someone like my mother that just uses Internet explore, and word it would take her a long time just get things to the point where I'm not doing it everything for her. Change is good, but for the ones that are set in there ways of using the start menu since win 95 is will be very default.

Gaming rig: ASUS|CROSSHAIR V FORMULA Z-CASE CORSAIR VENGEANCE C70 BLK-ASUS HD7970 3G Crossfire-PSU CORSAIR AX1200i-CPU AMD FX-8350-CORSAIR 8g 1600DDR3-DVD BRN ASUS-CORSAIR H100I R-CORSAIR CSSD-F240GBG-ACER B6 B276HULymiidprz Black 27 1440p

I'll stay with my 7

LINUX!!!!!

Win7 Master Race

Do we really need you to chime in with that on every Windows 8 thread? Every time a new car comes out do you say "I'll stick to Camry" or "Camry Master Race" (or w/e car you drive)? Get a grip!  

NO ONE CARES!!!

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

I used the test version and I liked it. This was on my desktop. Now I'm waiting if I can get it on my school-laptop that has win8. It's not in the store atm, but I'm not sure if I even have the rights. We can do what we want but we're not admins... sigh. Annoys me because I could fix the problems my self but I cant :'(

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

For me, I have Windows 8.1 installed on my laptop and I like it so far. 

Thinking about installing it on my PC

After some testing with 8.1 i came up with one flaw;

Im playing a videogame (diablo 3.....yes) and while playing I have this problem with the mouse.

The mouse has some imput lag which is frustrating.

Just to let you all know.

There are still some things I absolutely despise of Windows 8. Such as most native Windows 8 apps. Thankfully I don't have to use them often/never at all.

I mean who got the fucking idea to have right click bring up a menu that doesn't include everything (or anything actually important) but you need to hit "Windows+C" than "settings" even though that is now an app settings and not a computer settings. But when you hit "Windows+C" normally the same 5 icons appear and it's the most confusing POS I've ever met.

Updating to windows 8.1, go to windows store, not on main page for some fucking reason, type in windows 8.1, nothing you need to type in WindowsUpdate:Windows8.1 for it to appear. Like how fucking stupid is that also.

But besides that it's great. I like the new features. Glad they improved on a couple of things that I didn't like.

Start button is nice since you can access common named things.

Disk management appears in the start menu, but when you search it it brings up a different name. It's just so confusing, not organized, and seems like it's been made by 15 different people who never talked to each other once and than combined everything together to make a OS.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

There are still some things I absolutely despise of Windows 8. Such as most native Windows 8 apps. Thankfully I don't have to use them often/never at all.

I mean who got the fucking idea to have right click bring up a menu that doesn't include everything (or anything actually important) but you need to hit "Windows+C" than "settings" even though that is now an app settings and not a computer settings. But when you hit "Windows+C" normally the same 5 icons appear and it's the most confusing POS I've ever met.

Do you mean pressing Win+I?

Settings section is app setting, it changes content based on where (which app) you are.

Right-click is for additional options.

Updating to windows 8.1, go to windows store, not on main page for some fucking reason, type in windows 8.1, nothing you need to type in WindowsUpdate:Windows8.1 for it to appear. Like how fucking stupid is that also.

The update is normally on the main screen of the store. If it's not then then you should clear the cache of the Windows Store (known bug since day1 in Win8. Fixed in 8.1 new store)

Disk management appears in the start menu, but when you search it it brings up a different name. It's just so confusing, not organized, and seems like it's been made by 15 different people who never talked to each other once and than combined everything together to make a OS.

Actually, the name used is a description. It's all part of explaining things better to the end user, which in 90+% is not a power user. That is the direction they decided to go. For us, power users, you can right-click on the start button (or do Win+X), and you have a menu option that will appear with all sort of panels and things to quick access system things, like: Program and Feature, Device Manager, System panel, Command Prompt, and more.

Hope this helps.

I won't upgrade my desktop from Windows 7, but Windows 8.1 is good enough that I'll use it for my next build.

Every topic I post in dies.

• 4 months later...

Bitch to set up, after that it's good. I have it on 2 computers. Boots fast with SSD at least. I don't use the start menu much, but I do use the Weather App..

I'm more of the good old desktop part of it kind of user. Not much for the start menu. It's a little annoying when you have to open the folder, find the app, then create the Shot-Cut on the desktop.

It performs well. No complaints there.

• 3 weeks later...

Back to win 7. Win 8 is dumb, yes I know about the cool features it gives you, but win 7 will always be better for a gaming rig

I hated it when it first came out, pushed myself to use it when i got my new build, got used to it and now i love it. Since im the only one who uses my pc, having everything synced together is pretty awesome.