EK Waterblock Polishing Guide

Akula

EK Waterblock Polishing Guide.

Just a quick guide for the polishing of EK Plexiglass Waterblocks, generally used for CSQ Design blocks but can be used for a wide range of other Plexiglass blocks.

The idea of this polishing guide is to remove the clouded/blurred look of the Original CSQ Design while maintaining the CSQ Circles for some people enjoy.

Sure you could go and buy the newer EK Clean CSQ Design but this is a good method regardless.

To start you'll need a few things that can be bought from your general hardware store or automotive store.

• 2000 Grit Wet & Dry Sandpaper
  • Polishing Cloth (Microfiber) & Drying Cloth
  • 10 Minutes worth of your time per block
  • Meguiar's Ultimate Compound Polish (Other polisher's will work although I've only used this particular one)

Optional

• Sanding Block for tougher edges
  • Razer blade or sharp knife

Step 1

Depending on the type of waterblock you are polishing you may be required to remove the Plexiglass outside casing from the Nickel/Copper heat-sink, during this demonstration I'll be using a Plexiglass FC Bridge so i won't need to worry about this step.

Although for all CPU & GPU Waterblocks, you'll be required to remove the Plexiglass top from the block, it's a matter of unscrewing 5-10 EK Screws and it will come straight off, make sure you keep the O-Ring that's within the block for when you re-install ;)

Gather your required gear for polishing

e1wp.jpg

Step 2 (Recommend)

Depending if your waterblock has the EK Silver Badge, i highly recommend removing the badge prior to any wet/dry sanding - You will get a horrible finish on the badge if you attempt to sand with the block.

This is where that sharp knife or razer blade comes in handy, pick the edge of the badge and eventually if you come off, it's only held together with some thin double sided tape so you can reapply straight afterwards.

fdeg.jpg

Step 3

Begin sanding each side of the waterblock with 2000 Grit Sandpaper (Do not use anything lower than 2000) Sand all 6 sides including the back of the block for a few minutes each side, the larger waterblocks can be a little more difficult, i didn't find it necessary to get into each little groove on the back of the blocks either, so you shouldn't have to worry about that section.

I recommend Wet sanding using 2000 Grit Sandpaper, i find you get a far better cutting action and a cleaner final look, although i had some success with dry sanding.

Every now and then rinse the block with some water so you remove any foreign dust/material - It will also give you a greater look at your sanding to see if it's enough ;) Generally a few minutes each side is all that is required.

k59y.jpg

m95l.jpg

Step 4

Rinse the block in water, try and get rid of all dust and gunk from the wet sanding so when you start polishing you are not polishing the dust into the Plexiglass.

You'll notice it doesn't look very transparent yet, Don't worry the Polishing will bring out that shine ;)

g8a4.jpg

Step 5

Apply a small portion of your Polishing Agent, in my case Meguiar's Compound Polish to a Microfiber cloth, a normal cloth can also be used although i had one laying around for when i polish my car :)

Begin rubbing the block in a circular motion polishing all 6 sides for a few minutes. You'll start to notice the shine straight away.

un8u.jpg

Step 6

Once you have polished all 6 sides, including the back that mounts directly to the Nickel/Copper block, with a cealn section of the towel/rag clean the entire block.

You should have a similar result, hopefully better :)

If you're not happy with the end result, you can always re-sand & re-polish :)

4syi.jpg

pqay.jpg

m8xh.jpg

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

Woah, the final product is amazing! :o I'm not a fan of the CSQ circle design but sanding down the "frosting" makes it look SOOOO much better.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Woaw!

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Very nice! :D

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

• 2 weeks later...