[Completed] iSwitched from Windows to Linux for 30 days

Why elementaryOS?

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Why elementaryOS?

Because it is based of Ubuntu and as far as I'm aware it is the most commercially known distribution with the most applications for it. I've picked Elementary OS mainly because prefer the way it looks over Ubuntu xD

Is this on a laptop or a desktop?

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

This is my personal review/daily blog that is presenting you with my personal experiences as well as comparisons/observations that I have made

as a noob when it comes to Linux compared to Windows. I have used Windows ever since I've got a computer and now I have decided to give

Linux a go. I've been inspired to do this because of a unit that I have to do for my college course and since I always wanted to give a really

good go at Linux, now seemed like an appropriate time.

As you can see in the image above I will be switching from Windows 8 to Elementary OS Luna. I will report back each day with all of the things

that I have found out and compare as well as give pros and cons about different aspects that I will be faced with once using Elementary OS.

I hope you will enjoy your lecture for the following 30 days :D Make sure to follow this topic so that you get the updates!

Coming soon!

You aren't much of a gamer, are you? Switching to Linux basically destroys your rig's capabilities as far as gaming goes because there aren't many games that could utilize your gaming rig on Linux side of things. Here's hoping Valve can change this with SteamOS, Steam Machines and all that noise. :D

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

You aren't much of a gamer, are you? Switching to Linux basically destroys your rig's capabilities as far as gaming goes because there aren't many games that could utilize your gaming rig on Linux side of things. Here's hoping Valve can change this with SteamOS, Steam Machines and all that noise. :D

Are you installing it alongside windows, or is it in a virtual machine?

Edited the introduction, check it again and it should answer your questions  :P

Are you installing it alongside windows, or is it in a virtual machine?

nvm, its in the intro now

I don't think you should switch back to windows for games. It won't be a true "iSwitched".

Try using wine, or running native games for linux, like SuperTuxKart or java and flash based games, like Minecraft.

And TF2 via steam for linux.

I don't think you should switch back to windows for games. It won't be a true "iSwitched".

Try using wine, or running native games for linux, like SuperTuxKart or java and flash based games, like Minecraft.

To be fair, Linus still used his iP4 during the Android iSwitched.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I somewhat agree.

In the sense of, try and do everything you can first to get something running on Linux. Run wine, run anything to try and get it working on Linux.

Than if it doesn't you can use Windows and report that you either had low/higher performance while running it in linux, it was extremely difficult to get running, or wouldn't run. That way people can get a batter idea of the troubles and benefits of using Linux over Windows.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I use linux on my laptop :) God speed!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I somewhat agree.

In the sense of, try and do everything you can first to get something running on Linux. Run wine, run anything to try and get it working on Linux.

Than if it doesn't you can use Windows and report that you either had low/higher performance while running it in linux, it was extremely difficult to get running, or wouldn't run. That way people can get a batter idea of the troubles and benefits of using Linux over Windows.

Absolutely will! I will definitely want to install my Office 2013 and some smaller applications so I will keep in mind to include them and how hard it was for me to get them running :P I guess including guides that I potentially will use would be helpful for some so I will do that too.

I don't see a point in making this post because everybody knows what Linux is currently capable of and yes its a more powerful OS under the hood but software is not always widely available. until gaming makes it way to Linux and it becomes mainstream Linux is always going to be a crappy OS. Not to say that Linux doesn't have its advantages but right now like 90% of PC users are running Windows so there is always going to be more software written for Windows. one more people start running Linux I will consider doing something like this but SteamOS hasn't come out and driver support on Linux is not that great.

I don't see a point in making this post because everybody knows what Linux is currently capable of and yes its a more powerful OS under the hood but software is not always widely available. until gaming makes it way to Linux and it becomes mainstream Linux is always going to be a crappy OS. Not to say that Linux doesn't have its advantages but right now like 90% of PC users are running Windows so there is always going to be more software written for Windows. one more people start running Linux I will consider doing something like this but SteamOS hasn't come out and driver support on Linux is not that great.

I disagree, not everyone knows a lot about tech. Some people are new, and some people find this forum just by googeling a question. This is a way for people who haven't tried Linux because they hear it is bad to get a better understanding of why and in what ways.

This will bring people to the site and inform a lot of people.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

To be perfectly honest I'm doing this to challenge myself and to see if I can 'survive' without the operating system and the applications that I've been used to. One way or the other I will need to make a report of some kind for my college unit so I asked a question earlier today if people would want to read this and a lot of people wanted to so I made this thread. One way or the other I would be doing this so I might as well share my experience as a noob when it comes to Linux.

I disagree, not everyone knows a lot about tech. Some people are new, and some people find this forum just by googeling a question. This is a way for people who haven't tried Linux because they hear it is bad to get a better understanding of why and in what ways.

This will bring people to the site and inform a lot of people.

True that it might bring people to the site but I was saying from the end user who is actually switching to the Linux distro it might not be worth it.

I actually don't know squat about Linux, what its limitations are, and why its much more powerful "under the hood". I am interested in this iSwitched because the OP is also a Linux noob and will educate us all on what Linux is like to a newcomer. However your point is also valid, most PC's run Windows and i really don't see Linux being too prominent in the near future. No reason not to try it though!

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

This looks promising, I'm interested. I second those who said it would be interesting if you tried gaming onLinux, be it with Wine or native games, to see what your experience is. Which isn't to say you shouldn't go play windows games if it doesn't turn out great :)

CPU: Intel 3930K @ 4.6GHz || MOBO: Asus P9X79-E WS || GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX Titans || CASE: Fractal Design Define XL R2 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i

RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum @ 2100 MHz || Storage: 240GB Samsung 840 Pro & 2TB Seagate Barracuda || Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Peripherals: Samsung S27B970D - Asus PB23HQ - Logitech MX Revolution - Corsair K95 - Samson Meteor Mic - Logitech C920 - Bowers&Wilkins MM-1

This looks promising, I'm interested. I second those who said it would be interesting if you tried gaming onLinux, be it with Wine or native games, to see what your experience is. Which isn't to say you shouldn't go play windows games if it doesn't turn out great :)

Well we'll see how it goes I'm going to play around with it now and tomorrow give some feedback on things I did.

Because it is based of Ubuntu and as far as I'm aware it is the most commercially known distribution with the most applications for it. I've picked Elementary OS mainly because prefer the way it looks over Ubuntu.

You can customize and 'Linux' distro to look however you want it, but okay..

Dude, you still need to watch Death Note?

Shame on you!

CPU: i7 3930K 3.2Ghz on Noctua NH-U14S| RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz + 32GB Kingston Beast @ 1866Mhz | MBO: Asus P9X79 | GPU: ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB + Crucial M500 480GB  |  HDD: 2*3TB Seagate | PSU: Cooler Master 850m2 850W | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos Pure Black

Dell P2715Q, 4K @t 60Hz :)