NVIDIA SHIELD - where to buy

LinusTech

NCIX: http://bit.ly/19j9zkt

Amazon: http://geni.us/JMBgDKW

The SHIELD from NVIDIA is a pretty controversial device. People can't agree on the fairness of the pricing, people can't agree on the design, people can't agree on the usefulness of its features like game streaming, and people can't agree on the future of such devices.

I'm going to make a bold prediction here. If SHIELD fails, something else will rise up to take its place, and Android is the future of portable gaming. I really do believe this. For all the nay-sayers, I should make a calendar reminder for myself to dig out this thread in a couple of years so I can be like "yo, dawg, when's the last time you used your PS Vita?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmkgGGGI-D4

Amazon: http://amzn.to/1f1y5ZG

The SHIELD from NVIDIA is a pretty controversial device. People can't agree on the fairness of the pricing, people can't agree on the design, people can't agree on the usefulness of its features like game streaming, and people can't agree on the future of such devices.

I'm going to make a bold prediction here. If SHIELD fails, something else will rise up to take its place, and Android is the future of portable gaming. I really do believe this. For all the nay-sayers, I should make a calendar reminder for myself to dig out this thread in a couple of years so I can be like "yo, dawg, when's the last time you used your PS Vita?"

I had a conversation about this today and I honestly cant see this being that useful. A big part of the gaming experience is sitting down infront of your big screen(s) with your expensive mouse, and keyboard and playing these AAA titles, the way they were designed to be played. Not on some small screen while you're on the can

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Tell Nvidia to start making this thing to work with Mobile cards already. Paid $600 for this GPU and I get the short end of the stick when it comes to new features.

I really want this. Nice to just play games in bed or on a couch. Although if SteamOS let's me stream my games than I have the couch situation figured out just need this for the bed.

The only thing I really dislike about the Shield is the screen size, my Note2 has a larger screen. I don't know why they couldn't get a 5.5-5.8" screen on there. 

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Sorry Linus but I'm also a nay-sayer, I don't see anything useful to this either

I had a conversation about this today and I honestly cant see this being that useful. A big part of the gaming experience is sitting down infront of your big screen(s) with your expensive mouse, and keyboard and playing these AAA titles, the way they were designed to be played. Not on some small screen while you're on the can

I agree to a certain extent, but there are good "small screen" experiences, Nintendo 3DS! Pokemon, Mario Games, Mario Kart, Some Donkey Kong games,etc... Those are good portable games that I see myself playing and having fun, which brings android to the conversation, Candy Crush, those nova shooters or I don't know what they're called, gaming on android is really not on par with real games, they don't feel like real games, they feel like cheap android games... and you most definitely won't see Sony, or Nintendo developers going to make games for android, they'll always feel like cheap, indie, mobile games.

Sorry Linus but I'm also a nay-sayer, I don't see anything useful to this either

I agree to a certain extent, but there are good "small screen" experiences, Nintendo 3DS! Pokemon, Mario Games, Mario Kart, Some Donkey Kong games,etc... Those are good portable games that I see myself playing and having fun

True, but again, you wouldnt really find these games on the computer. Remember this thing primarily allows you to stream your computer games to a hand held screen. All the other fun games you mentioned are found on their respective consoles

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

True, but again, you wouldnt really find these games on the computer. Remember this thing primarily allows you to stream your computer games to a hand held screen. All the other fun games you mentioned are found on their respective consoles

Yeah I totally get that, I was talking about Android being the future of portable/mobile gaming, but about the streaming, yeah you can play your PC games, on your house, on the same network, for what? for when you are in the bathroom taking a dump? Still useless in my opinion.

With Android and IOS destroying the mobile video games market in revenue I believe we will see a large number of developers switch focus from nintendo / sony mobile consoles to Android / IOS game development. A device like this allows you to get ALOT more out of many android games.

I see this device as an android mobile game console /w the ability to stream games from my PC. As a PC gamer I will probably never use this for streaming a game from my PC. I rather play on my 144 hz monitor with a mouse and keyboard HOWEVER I would most definitely use the shit out of this away from my computer desk for all my android gaming needs + I will prob not kill my phone playing clash of clans anymore... Damn it rapes the battery!

• 3 weeks later...

I found a place in Australia selling it for $400 .. So that's 100 more than the rrp.. We don't officially have it yet in Oz... Considering it.. But the fact you can't use your PC for other things while streaming a PC game to it (or a TV via shield game console mode)... Is a big drawback. I can't justify the cost. If that limitation was fixed or there was a workaround.. I'd get it in a snap.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I completely agree and u should put it on a calender i would definitely use shield its awesome and a controller with a screen fixes the whole reason why i dont play games on my phone as it is just to hard to play on a touch screen instead of using a controller it is basically a tablet in controller form it really should be selling better its unfortunate.

are there any EU websites to buy the shield? i live in the UK :/

I'm pretty sure it's just 'Merica :(  unfortunately.... :\ there are some things I just WISH they brought over to the EU market D:

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I'm pretty sure it's just 'Merica :(  unfortunately.... :\ there are some things I just WISH they brought over to the EU market D:

I'm wrong LOOK!! :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-Shield-Portable-Console-Android/dp/B00E3667XQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382534019&sr=8-1&keywords=nvidia+shield

http://www.mobicity.co.uk/nvidia-shield.html?gclid=CNuKqJOFrboCFQjA3godcGUAIA#.UmfMERCn550

Edited by SirReallySam

PROFILEYEAH

If they made this somewhat like an asus transformer I would buy it. A 5 in smartphone with a dock for gaming.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

If they made this somewhat like an asus transformer I would buy it. A 5 in smartphone with a dock for gaming.

This thing rapes my transformer. Has a smaller screen but everything else is way better. PS. I have a bluetooth keyboard. 

Yea am another nay-sayer, I dont see this taking off like they think it will.

No one is expecting it to outsell the DS. Still a cool product that pushes the boundaries and is pretty decent for its cost. 

I want one, but I don't have a use for it when I can get a decent Mini-ITX rig for $300 and combine it with my spare parts to turn it into an awesome living room gaming machine.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Whats the point in spending all that money on devlopment ? I think there just trying to create a trend 

Sorry to say it, but you are very wrong.  They didn't release Shield to try and create a "trend."  They are putting all this time, effort and money in to push the gaming industry into the future; Shield is the first step.  In the not-so-distant future, games and all performance intensive tasks will be done on a central "grid" computer located somewhere in your home and stream the info to individual devices.  Will these devices look like the Shield does today? No.  Steam boxes with SteamOS is another example of pushing the industry forward.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I want one, but I don't have a use for it when I can get a decent Mini-ITX rig for $300 and combine it with my spare parts to turn it into an awesome living room gaming machine.

Very true. Given the cost you could easily build a HTPC worthy of some decent games + everything else under the sun. However, I think this is more for someone who wants a beefy android device with lots of cool functionality. I could see myself getting this in the next few months just to play my dozens of android games that I wish I could play with a controller + I could then hook it up to my TV and play some games off my PC or stream twitch / movie / music. 

It is a very niche device. Most people will find that they do not need this because they already have a powerful enough phone / tablet for doing all of this or many people, like myself, do not like playing PC games with a controller (except racing / fighting / platformer ) therefore I do not see many people running out to buy this device. 

Either way. I think its a pretty cool device and really want one! But also cannot wait to see what NVidia does with its In-home grid-like technology like @Warcony was saying. Hope one day soon we have chromecast sized devices able to do the same thing! ;)

i saw them but not sure if they are trust worthy, also they seem much more expensive than US shields :( and there are no deals with the 780/770/660..680 that you get 100 dollars off the shield :(

i saw them but not sure if they are trust worthy, also they seem much more expensive than US shields :( and there are no deals with the 780/770/660..680 that you get 100 dollars off the shield :(

will the US one not work in uk then as i was thinking of getting my uncle in canada to buy me one and send it over. is  there any region restrictions on it ?

CPU 5820K @ 4.5Ghz 1.295V,Motherboard Asus X99-S, RAM 16Gb TeamGroup Elite GPU Msi Gtx 780, Case Fractal Design Define R5 , Storage Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 , Samsung 840evo 250Gb, Wd Green 1TB, PSU EVGA 850w G2 ,Cooling Fully Custom Water Cooling Loop Sound Stealseries Wireless H

will the US one not work in uk then as i was thinking of getting my uncle in canada to buy me one and send it over. is  there any region restrictions on it ?

I doubt it as it only has wifi connectivity. This is not a game with region locking or a cellphone with a radio that only connects to certain frequencies. Consoles can be region locked, however; I do not think this is the case. 

I have played a pile of controller friendly computer games on my shield, and if one day I can connect it to a tv and use a bluetooth controller and have a full PC gaming experience with the shields form factor, (and hopefully controlling android with the controller as well) it will be awesome.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

true :|

PROFILEYEAH

I have played a pile of controller friendly computer games on my shield, and if one day I can connect it to a tv and use a bluetooth controller and have a full PC gaming experience with the shields form factor, (and hopefully controlling android with the controller as well) it will be awesome.

Nvidia is bringing that functionality to the shield soon! :D  Enjoy!

Have a read: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7435/nvidia-consolidates-game-streaming-tech-under-gamestream-brand-announces-shield-console-mode

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

i would like this, but i am a dedicated red team member. i will never buy a Nvidia GPU again

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

not sure, but u gotta pay import fees aswell as VAT, which would probs come up to £400 orsomething and its just not worth that much