AMD's Mantle API Is NOT Open Source, Compatible Only With AMD GPUs.

There has been a lot of speculation regarding AMD's new Mantle low-level API, specifically regarding if it's open or not, meaning can Nvidia & Intel add support to Mantle if they wish ? the official answer from AMD's Robert Hallock, Enthusiast Graphics Marketing Manager is a definitive NO.

Tech Fan@ic .

@Thracks is MANTLE open source ?

@GnrlKhalid No. It is an API for the industry-standard GCN Architecture and its specific ISA, done at the request of game developers.

So not only is MANTLE AMD specific, it's also architecture specific, so it's only compatible with Graphics Core Next (GCN) based products, that's the 7000 series and up for discrete graphics, Kaveri & later for APUs.

Source : https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/383872285351739393

There has been a lot of speculation regarding AMD's new MANTLE low-level API, specifically regarding if it's open or not, meaning can Nvidia & Intel add support of they wish or not, the official answer from AMD's Robert Hallock, Enthusiast Graphics Marketing Manager is a definitive NO.

Tech Fan@ic .

@Thracks is MANTLE open source ?

@GnrlKhalid No. It is an API for the industry-standard GCN Architecture and its specific ISA, done at the request of game developers.

Source : https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/383872285351739393

That's cute. :)

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

I was wondering earlier, maybe you can answer this question. Was there ever really any point for it to be open source? I know a lot of people talked about that. 

But this is not supposed to be opengl, it's an API specifically for AMD's GPUs. So would there even be any benefit from it being open and fragmented?

Well, I guess I'll stick with my GTX 465 for a little while longer.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I was wondering earlier, maybe you can answer this question. Was there ever really any point for it to be open source? I know a lot of people talked about that. 

But this is not supposed to be opengl, it's an API specifically for AMD's GPUs. So would there even be any benefit from it being open and fragmented?

Of course there would be great benefits, develop once, run on everything is the dream of game developers.

So assumably even if it works as magicly as one would hope, only amd backed games are likely to support it.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

When folks recommended 7000 series AMD GPUs, over the Nvidia 600 or 700 series of GPUs to other people & mentioned "console optimizations" as one of the incentives, they were absolutely right about it, I remember @TechFan@ic always mentioned console optimizations for both AMD CPUs & GPUs making their way to the PC.

I've always felt that it's a valid point, but never realized that it would develop into something like MANTLE that just gives massive performance boosts to AMD users, both on the GPU & CPU side.

It's a major reason why we're seeing Nvidia compete more in terms of the feature set, because Nvidia knows competing on performance is going to be extraordinarily difficult from now on.

Let's face it. They're bound to not make things open source. nVidia cards could utilise there technology hten. MAybe if nVidia were more open AMD would have more of an incentive to make it open source! 

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

Of course there would be great benefits, develop once, run on everything is the dream of game developers.

Yes but would it be of any use on a non-AMD GPU?

Well this was kinda expected since everyone today is making their own "closed" platforms, it was just a matter of time before AMD did the same, but i am excited if this is the way to push the industry forward.

I really want to see what AMD will do with it, since the new consoles are using AMD, and according to Logan and Wendel from Tek Syndicate, there will be something new coming that will help AMD regain the advantage in single threaded workload, by splitting the same work on to multiple cores, pair that with MANTLE, AMD could become a great platform, and having the CPU ( or APU ) from AMD and a gpu from AMD could make an epic duo that could really give intel and Nvidia a run for their money.

SIGH... Still waiting for the 8 core steamroller announcement...

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Another reason to not go nvidia....sigh

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I personally believe that Nvidia will end up with its own low level API, especially if Mantle kicks off, we'll end up with only two APIs, one for each graphics vendor.
You already can't play games properly even on the lowest settings with Intel integrated graphics, so I think game devs wouldn't mind marginalizing that tiny market segment of people who use intel integrated graphics to play games.

Well this is GARBAGE. There goes the next API for Steam OS...

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

By the time this technology gets fully implemented my gtx 770 will start aging out then it will be perfect time to buy a AMD GPU

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

By the time this technology gets fully implemented my gtx 770 will start aging out then it will be perfect time to buy a AMD GPU

The first game to support Mantle will be BF4 in December of this year, a 770 will hardly start aging by then.

Well, this is a disappointment. Making this open like OpenGL would spread it far faster but since it's a hardware API I guess it has to do with the architecture of the GPUs.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

The first game to support MANTLE will be BF4 in December of this year, a 770 will hardly start aging by then.

He means when mantle is a huge thing that 25-40% of AAA titles use it (if it becomes a big thing)

the thing is that AMD wants their new GPU customers to have a reason to go to them. They are not going to allow Nvidia customers to have any access to this because that would be bad from a business standpoint. The majority of their big spender customers already have GCN cards. So that is why they are only investing the time and effort to make MANTLE compatible with GCN cards. It would be unwise for them to spend time and money to make MANTLE work for people who have 6xxx cards because when new cards come out, their older cards do not bring in the big money anymore. Therefore they would be losing money if they were to cater to the 6xxx card people. And remember, AMD might be a tech company, but they are still a COMPANY nonetheless.

I am surprised they are allowing 7xxx cards on this to be honest.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

Great so now this will end up like Physx. Everyone will hate it and devs won't use it:(

Maybe will Nvidia will counter it with an open source solution.

They are currently pretty active in the linux community and partnering up with companies like Valve and Red Hat. I could imagine that they are approaching Khronos for this.

also APIs cannot be copyrighted which means something but I do not know what it means...

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

I am surprised they are allowing 7xxx cards on this to be honest.

Their 7xxx cards sold really well because of the crazy price cut. 7970 for $450 and 7990 for $800 (maybe less) and they still perform pretty good compare to green team.

Great so now this will end up like Physx. Everyone will hate it and devs won't use it:(

I think this is a bit different from Physx. Both next gen console use amd apu and most big title game will be released on both pc and console and this make developers' jobs a lot more easier.

Their 7xxx cards sold really well because of the crazy price cut. 7970 for $450 and 7990 for $800 (maybe less) and they still perform pretty good compare to green team.

I think this is a bit different from Physx. Both next gen console use amd apu and most big title game will be released on both pc and console and this make developers' jobs a lot more easier.

true, but what I mean is that I am surprised that, from a business standpoint, they are not just going full speed with their new cards. But it might be best because not everyone is getting their new cards yet and they need to maximize their user base.