Electrolyte

930v0VY.png

Hi guys

So this build is going to happen in a few stages due to financial constraints. The first stage will happen in a couple of weeks when some cheques and things

clear but I've got the CPU and the board/ram are in the mail.

Stage 1:

• Motherboard: ASUS ROG Rampage IV Gene
  • CPU: 2nd Gen Intel Core i7 Extreme 3970X
  • Case: Fractal Design Mini R2
  • RAM: 16GB of Corsair Vengeance Pro White (2x8GB) 1600Mhz C9
  • PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850w + short cable kit
  • PSU Sleeving: 200ft of Paracord in white and red
  • SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB + Samsung 840 250GB
  • HDD: 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Video Card: MSI GTX760 4GB
  • Cooler: 212 Evo 

Stage 2/Whenever there is more money:

• HDD: 1 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 
  • Cooler: Swiftech H320
  • RAID Card: undecided

I've thought long and hard about either an FT-02 similar to what LowFat did here or even a CaseLabs STH10 however things like shipping cost and 

accessories cost (fluid dyes, paint, fans) and with other things going on, I couldn't afford to dump the cash all on a PC. I also had an interesting

conversation with Linus and the idea of going as small as possible while getting all the performance I could. 

Eimpf86.png

Edited by Windspeed36

Update 1

More and more parts have been arriving. I've now got the Rampage IV Gene (thanks to @Analog 's suggestion) and the Cooler Master 212 Evo (thanks to @Joshuam08). Tomorrow I pick up the short cable kit for Silverstone modular PSU's and sleeving tools however the sleeving itself still hasn't arrived. I'm still torn between doing regular paracord sleeving using heatshrink or doing it like this

As for the rest of the components, I've decided that straight off the bat I'm getting a half way decent GPU - a 760. I wanted the Gainward 760 as it's an amazingly sexy card however it's a 3 slot card. I could fit that in the Fractal Mini R2 using the bottom two slots of the card then the overhang can just go below. However my issue would be the of lack airflow as the card being a three slot card would then sit flush against a PSU and die from a lack of airflow. Therefore I'm going with a Palit 760 then eventually getting probably the EK 670 backplate for it purely for aesthetics. 

Another recent decision of mine is to just run a Cat5e cable around inside the picture rail instead of depending on WiFi but also having to have a NIC in the build.

Completion date for this is set to be about November 12th ish though it could be done earlier.

EermtUA.jpg
Edited by Windspeed36

Update 2

Well shit - I don't know when I'm going to get all this finished. A certain incident the other day has left me out of pocket somewhere between $700 and $1300 which is the majority of what I was going to spend in a couple of days to get parts. 

In other news, a big thanks to @marto for his patience and skill in sleeving. 

VzpVYna.jpg4LfRO6H.jpg0GIhIu4.jpg

So the sleeving is done however as I said, I don't know when this will be finished now as I'm pretty much broke. 

So uh, it's kinda done. I began with the concept of building a Lego case until the Fractal Mini R2 releases in January however as I was building, I grew more and more concerned over the fact that the Lego could melt as it's 2011 and I also was worried about bending stuff on the back. Therefore I drove back down to PCCG and picked up an Aerocool Dead Silence White with the window. (review here). I don't know if I'm going to move to the Mini when it comes out. Aside from that, I've still got a second 760 to add, a H320 or H220, another hard drive and the LED's at minimum. I'm still unsure on the RAID array as I've got other things to spend money on. Sorry for the shitty images,  I'll be taking better ones when I do the next upgrades. 

On a side note, I've just noticed that the banners for this build log look so long on a 1920x1080 screen. 

B61JsjPh.jpgTF7Fq1hh.jpguaOJqswh.jpgMVjYedhh.jpgxdtZHnBh.jpgMVjYedhh.jpgBKTlr1vh.jpgkzBhXs8h.jpg

Reserved 

I award you a whole 28.38 widgets!

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

I thought you were going to be doing something crazy with this build... Or is that another build

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I thought you were going to be doing something crazy with this build... Or is that another build

As I mentioned, cost vs other things. 3970X + GPU + RAID card + NIC + 360mm rad is still pretty insane for an mATX case. 

how come you need so much storage?

I've got a mess of 500GB and 1TB external drives lying around. I would like a centralised storage system. 

As I mentioned, cost vs other things. 3970X + GPU + RAID card + NIC + 360mm rad is still pretty insane for an mATX case. 

I've got a mess of 500GB and 1TB external drives lying around. I would like a centralised storage system. 

That motherboard supports RAID 10 by default...? But that CPU, are you going for overclocking on it, case I don't see why you're going for Sandy if you're not going for a higher OC. O focurse, it's your PC and you can do what you want though

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

That motherboard supports RAID 10 by default...? But that CPU, are you going for overclocking on it, case I don't see why you're going for Sandy if you're not going for a higher OC. O focurse, it's your PC and you can do what you want though

I still prefer physical RAID cards to onboard RAID. The other issue is that with that motherboard, there is only 6 ports - 4 on Intel and 2 on a 3rd party chipset. meaning the biggest RAID I could do would be two drive due to my boot disk. 

I still prefer physical RAID cards to onboard RAID. The other issue is that with that motherboard, there is only 6 ports - 4 on Intel and 2 on a 3rd party chipset. meaning the biggest RAID I could do would be two drive due to my boot disk. 

Didn't think about the number of ports... It seems to me that with the RAID card, NIC and GPU that you would benefit more from having the extra lanes available on Ivy-E though...

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Didn't think about the number of ports... It seems to me that with the RAID card, NIC and GPU that you would benefit more from having the extra lanes available on Ivy-E though...

Ivy E vs Sandy E has no difference in PCI lanes. Only the bandwith which won't be that major (2.0 vs 3.0). The Gene supports 16x 16x then I think 8x and 4x in the other 16x slot and then the 4x slot.

• Motherboard: ASUS ROG Rampage IV Gene (Mail)
  • CPU: 2nd Gen Intel Core i7 Extreme 3970X (Arr)
  • GPU: 770?

Gotta admit, I actualy laughed at that one. :lol:

Then again, maybe it's just that my definition of insanity is wrong.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Gotta admit, I actualy laughed at that one. :lol:

Then again, maybe it's just that my definition of insanity is wrong.

I was expecting like a build inside...... A router or something

I am good at computer

Spoiler

I was expecting like a build inside...... A router or something

Ah, yes. Different gauges for insanity then. :lol:

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Ah, yes. Different gauges for insanity then. :lol:

It's not that bad... I was going to say rubbish bin. It seems apple beat me to it

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Where are you getting the Mini R2 in Aus? I'm pretty sure PCCG and CPL only have the first edition still?

Subbed too :)

I'm also having to wait for that.. 

Ahhh windspeed can not wait :P

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

Looking forward to pictures :)

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

Really looking forward to this! 

gc3WbmR.gif

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

More components either arrived or in the mail :D

Still deciding on keyboards, really tempted to go with my old Mac wireless board. 

Can't wait to see some pics when this bad boy is being built. 

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |