Logitech G602 - Where to buy

LinusTech

Where I live this mouse is 20 USD cheaper than the G700s. But I feel that this will serve better as a portable laptop mouse than a gaming one, especially with the only battery life. 

I dont get what yiour trying to say as its only slightly smaller in the grip than the G700/s but the physical size isnt much different. Also I easily use the G700 as a laptop mouse and am currently using the G700s for that purpose. I do think ill replace it with the G602 since it heavily gaming oriented and many of the feature that make the G700/s also productivity oriented are not there.

Hyper scroll is nice, the G700....not so much. I have one and I wish the 602 was out when I had bought it so I could have gotten the 602 instead.

What problems do you have with the G700?

What problems do you have with the G700?

Battery life is crap, I ended up just running it as a wired mouse, the G4,5,6,7 buttons are uncomfortable after several hours for a lot of usage, G8,9,10 buttons are too awkwardly shaped. On a slightly unrelated note I realized that I wanted a few more buttons than the G700 has, this only came after playing games where I had more things to bind than I had buttons for. If the 602 had been out at the time I would have definately gotten it instead, I hate rechargeable batteries I just figured it was something I would have to deal with.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

As I said there are mice like that thats just a ambidextrous mouse with an optical sensor. Plenty of people use ambidextrous mice, though few have optical sensors due to the dpi war. i would like to also point out that just because its optical doesnt mean its a better sensor, yes the best sensors right now are optical but new laser mice are right behind them and after them. Now I am confused at what you want because the MX518 or any of its following revisions doesnt have buttons on the other side and there wouldnt be any way to implement them without just looking like they were glued on. Also the sensei and every mouse SteelSeries currently offer are ambidextrous.

For me when I use ambidextrous mice I almost always turn off the opposite side switches as I bump them far more than I purposely use them. As my thumb can easy deal with hitting something like the 6 buttons on the side of the G602 since well its a thumb.

Just because I've pointed out that I'm using the sensei doesn't mean that I'm only looking at ambidextrous mice. I just want a mouse that has two buttons on both sides and an optical sensor. I haven't found a mouse that meets my criteria. It's simply not out there (at least not from a decent brand that I know of). I don't care whether it's ambidextrous or not.

I don't know why you're confused. The reason why I pointed out that I used an MX518 and MX500 before the sensei was to show that I like logitech's design, nothing more. I'm just adding to the convo by talking about what I'd like to see in a mouse. Logitech is close, but for now I'll stick with the sensei (even though, I'd love to use logitech again).

I dont get what yiour trying to say as its only slightly smaller in the grip than the G700/s but the physical size isnt much different. Also I easily use the G700 as a laptop mouse and am currently using the G700s for that purpose. I do think ill replace it with the G602 since it heavily gaming oriented and many of the feature that make the G700/s also productivity oriented are not there.

I mean that with the better battery life it's a great portable mouse. As a gaming mouse, the 500 Hz polling rate and lack of DPI may out some off.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Just because I've pointed out that I'm using the sensei doesn't mean that I'm only looking at ambidextrous mice. I just want a mouse that has two buttons on both sides and an optical sensor. I haven't found a mouse that meets my criteria. It's simply not out there (at least not from a decent brand that I know of). I don't care whether it's ambidextrous or not.

I don't know why you're confused. The reason why I pointed out that I used an MX518 and MX500 before the sensei was to show that I like logitech's design, nothing more. I'm just adding to the convo by talking about what I'd like to see in a mouse. Logitech is close, but for now I'll stick with the sensei (even though, I'd love to use logitech again).

Well I dont know of any mice that arnt ambidextrous that have buttons on the non thumb side. My guess why you dont see this is because their hard to use id rather have 6 for my thumb to use than 2 for my thumb and 2 for my ring finger and pinky to use. This is because the thumb is far more capable than the rest of the fingers and can more easily press in instead of down. I also tend to disable those buttons side I activate them more often when I dont want to then when I do, though maybe thats just me. I do know of a few mice that have something implemented like the G600 where there is a third click for your ring finger to use if thats what your after.

I mean that with the better battery life it's a great portable mouse. As a gaming mouse, the 500 Hz polling rate and lack of DPI may out some off.

Yes it could have had 1000hz and 4000dpi. I know why they didnt use the 1000hz that due to battery life and which is also why there is a hardware switch to lower the polling and the time it takes for the mouse to go to sleep. The G700/s has both of these features but their software controlled so the easiest was to use them would be to setup 2 different profiles one for desktop use and one for gaming, which is what I did until I started setting up a profile per game once I got my orbweaver. 

Also the thing about lack of dpi for gaming for most people it should be fine. I mean I wish they would have used the 4000dpi sensor from the G400s instead of the 2500dpi sensor from the G100s but I really only need that additional dpi for desktop usage not gaming. Also their are plenty of great optical mice that have the same dpi or not much more than what the G602 has.

Battery life is crap, I ended up just running it as a wired mouse, the G4,5,6,7 buttons are uncomfortable after several hours for a lot of usage, G8,9,10 buttons are too awkwardly shaped. On a slightly unrelated note I realized that I wanted a few more buttons than the G700 has, this only came after playing games where I had more things to bind than I had buttons for. If the 602 had been out at the time I would have definately gotten it instead, I hate rechargeable batteries I just figured it was something I would have to deal with.

Where you using any of the power saving options when not gaming or did you leave it on 1000hz and Max Gaming all the time and never shut it off? If thats the cause yes your going to have and appallingly short battery life. How did the buttons become uncomfortable? Your thumb has its nice little place to rest and then when you need to press one of the buttons you move you thumb up a bit and hit it then move your thumb back down. To me the G700/s is probably the most comfortable mouse our right now. Also if you like the buttons on the G700/s you probably wont like the ones on the G602 as its more of the same except their smaller but a bit different to hit, maybe a tad harder even (like you have to reach more). The other buttons I dont use for in game actions usually probably dpi cycle and bring up a menu or something. Why do you hate rechargeable batteries? Their great especially NiMH ones and the Eneloop's that come with the G700/s are some of the best!

I actually never charged over USB it took too long and just never charged the batteries properly. i bought a set of 4 eneloops (you could get away with 2) and when the mouse died I would just pop a new one in and charge the dead one with a proper NiMH charger. I got much better charges on the batteries and thus longer life also I could get right back to using the mouse wirelessly. I should mention I only let the mouse die when on the desktop if I was gaming I would check the battery before and if it was red pop a charged one in  before starting.

Also were yo possibly leaving your thumb on the G4-G7 botons on the G700/s the whole time or most of the time? if so something like the Naga 2014 or G600 would probably be a better fit for your needs.

Where you using any of the power saving options when not gaming or did you leave it on 1000hz and Max Gaming all the time and never shut it off? If thats the cause yes your going to have and appallingly short battery life. How did the buttons become uncomfortable? Your thumb has its nice little place to rest and then when you need to press one of the buttons you move you thumb up a bit and hit it then move your thumb back down. To me the G700/s is probably the most comfortable mouse our right now. Also if you like the buttons on the G700/s you probably wont like the ones on the G602 as its more of the same except their smaller but a bit different to hit, maybe a tad harder even (like you have to reach more). The other buttons I dont use for in game actions usually probably dpi cycle and bring up a menu or something. Why do you hate rechargeable batteries? Their great especially NiMH ones and the Eneloop's that come with the G700/s are some of the best!

I actually never charged over USB it took too long and just never charged the batteries properly. i bought a set of 4 eneloops (you could get away with 2) and when the mouse died I would just pop a new one in and charge the dead one with a proper NiMH charger. I got much better charges on the batteries and thus longer life also I could get right back to using the mouse wirelessly. I should mention I only let the mouse die when on the desktop if I was gaming I would check the battery before and if it was red pop a charged one in  before starting.

Also were yo possibly leaving your thumb on the G4-G7 botons on the G700/s the whole time or most of the time? if so something like the Naga 2014 or G600 would probably be a better fit for your needs.

Yes I'm using the power saving options, I only ran it at max when I was gaming and I turne it off whenever I'm going to be away from my desk for more than 10 minutes just like I do with my keyboard, monitors and speakers. My thumb doesn't rest on the buttons, it sits below them and I move my thumb as needed, the discomfort is more of a minor concern as it only becomes an issue after about 3 hours of very heavy usage of the side buttons, I use it as an indicator of when to take a break. There are some games that I play that I only use one set DPI level on, I usually end up wanting more commands bound to my mouse so I end up using the DPI adjustment buttons and the battery level button they are just awkward to use so I want more buttons on the side, like I said before this was only something I realized after I got some time with it.

I hate rechargeable batteries because when they die they take ages to charge, they lose their ability to hold their charge over time, and the fact that rechargeable batteries are rubbish in general

. If the 602 had been out at the time or there was a wireless mouse with reprogrammable buttons that ran on AA's I would have bought it instead despite my love for Logitech's products. I can overlook all of these issues if it was powered by AA's because my biggest problem is with the crap battery life it's too short and in the end I ended up using it as a wired mouse, if I had wanted a wired mouse I would have gotten something else.

I guess I'm biased in a way, before I bought the G700 I had the M705 marathon, not a gaming mouse I know but it was comfortable and powered by AA's. I struggle to remember ever having to replace the batteries in that mouse before my nephew dropped it in a glass of milk and killed it. Also don't suggest Razor crap stuff to me they are crap.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Yes I'm using the power saving options, I only ran it at max when I was gaming and I turne it off whenever I'm going to be away from my desk for more than 10 minutes just like I do with my keyboard, monitors and speakers. My thumb doesn't rest on the buttons, it sits below them and I move my thumb as needed, the discomfort is more of a minor concern as it only becomes an issue after about 3 hours of very heavy usage of the side buttons, I use it as an indicator of when to take a break. There are some games that I play that I only use one set DPI level on, I usually end up wanting more commands bound to my mouse so I end up using the DPI adjustment buttons and the battery level button they are just awkward to use so I want more buttons on the side, like I said before this was only something I realized after I got some time with it.

I hate rechargeable batteries because when they die they take ages to charge, they lose their ability to hold their charge over time, and the fact that rechargeable batteries are rubbish in general

. If the 602 had been out at the time or there was a wireless mouse with reprogrammable buttons that ran on AA's I would have bought it instead despite my love for Logitech's products. I can overlook all of these issues if it was powered by AA's because my biggest problem is with the crap battery life it's too short and in the end I ended up using it as a wired mouse, if I had wanted a wired mouse I would have gotten something else.

I guess I'm biased in a way, before I bought the G700 I had the M705 marathon, not a gaming mouse I know but it was comfortable and powered by AA's. I struggle to remember ever having to replace the batteries in that mouse before my nephew dropped it in a glass of milk and killed it. Also don't suggest Razor crap stuff to me they are crap.

I remaped changing DPI to DPI cycle and put it on G11 originally but later found that G10 was much better as I could just move my pointer finger a bit to the left when needed vs hitting the weird sport where G11 is. I now use G11 for profile switch when in hardware mode. I check battery just by turning it on the off again since I dont check it all that often once per day at best probably much less. 

You could quick charge them which is why a good external charger is nice but that will decrease the amount of charge cycles in can take in the end over all. You also will get a better charge on them by going slower. All batteries that can recharge can be recharged less over time but thats just a nature of the beast. Its still way nicer than having to constantly buy new batteries especially on high drain devices. Have you ever used the  newer "smart" NiMH barreries like the eneloops? the standard version claims 1500 recharges and reports on battery forums have shown people getting more than that even upwards of 1900. I dont see why you would want to keep buying alkaline batteries or lithium ones (what I did for my G602) and then just throw them away it doesnt make sense for electronics. I dont know why you were getting such short battery life but you did take the approach logitech presented I however did not and never had any real problems with battery life though I never gamed 3hrs a day every day or anything close. For something like that batteries probably arnt the best solution and I cant imagine any current gaming grade wireless mouse being able to handle that minus the G602. The G602 was optimized with battery life in mind and they even reduced some of the specs to keep it that way.

Yea that M705 is just a consumer mouse probably 125hz and goes to sleep as soon as possible and has a relatively low dpi with any configurations done to mouse happening in the software on the computer not on the mouse itself. The G700/s is more of a wired gaming mouse without a wire and lots of gaming mice are the full 500ma that a usb 2.0 port will deliver when your battery is 1900mah (standard 2nd gen eneloop) you do the math.

I think your also biased on razer I know what youve used but their finally coming back around. All of their new stuff I have is great minus a few software hickups right after release but those usually get Ironed out pretty quick.

Look at the post "Rocket is missing" :) He was apparently found a tad later :)

He actually hasn't been found yet.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

He actually hasn't been found yet.

At this point there sadly isnt much hope I must say. This comes from having cats my entire life. Once their cone to long or stray too far away, their not likely to return to you via their own accord.

At this point there sadly isnt much hope I must say. This comes from having cats my entire life. Once their cone to long or stray too far away, their not likely to return to you via their own accord.

I know how it feels.  I've lost cats before also.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads