Razer Deathstalker/Steelseries Apex (or something else?)

BarelakedNadies

I'm looking for suggestions for a new keyboard. I'm currently using an old dell that I had lying about (only finished my build a couple of days ago).

I'd love a mechanical keyboard but they seem like they make too much noise for me (PC is in the bedroom and girlfriend goes to bed earlier than me). If there are quiet mechanical keyboards then I'd be very interested in hearing about them.

In the mean time I've narrowed my choices down to the Razer Deathstalker (not the Ultimate, just the standard edition) or the Steelseries Apex (or Apex raw).

Just wondering what people's recommendations would be. I like the low profile nature of them as I keep my desk really clean and bare. I do quite a bit of gaming. I don't take it too seriously but I'd like to have a keyboard that can help when I'm doing that. Mostly FPS and indie (FEZ, Limbo, Antichamber etc.) but I've been getting into Dota 2 a little bit and have been wanting to try Diablo 3 for a while. Not sure if game types make a difference but there you go.

Any help would be great. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. Had a search and couldn't find a whole lot of information.

Thanks!

they arent as loud as you think. blues and greens might be noticable in the same room, but with a closed door, nothing. get reds or blacks(i prefer blacks, better accuracy when typing and quicker response while gaming)

other then that... deathstalker is too expensive for what it offers, and i find that the Apex is wierd.

I personally would suggest getting a mechanical keyboard, and buying some rubber O-Rings for it, though it creates a mushy feeling(your adding rubber, its gonna feel more like a rubber dome with the rings on)

but other then that, just get a cheap 10 dollar membrane keyboard.

the rules is to never buy expensive membrane.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

well lets say i have the razer death stalker, and i regret buying it at times ( standard edition )

for example the drivers are kinda shitty, razer synapses does not always recognize the keyboard, hence no macro and no gaming mode

and then there is a rare occasion where windows does not recognize the keyboard at all, it will light up and but nothing works on it. its a simple fix of unplugging and re plugging the USB, but that is still time wasted. 

and then the membrane sometimes will not recognize a key stroke, even when in gaming mode. for example i was playing dayz flying a heli, and then i started dropping out of the sky, why, well because they keyboard didn't recognize my key stroke. 

but other then that once you get use to the functionality of it and configure windows and the drivers to work 100% it's actually a nice keyboard

they key stoke issue has gone away, not sure if i adjusted or the keys just needed breaking in to say.

if you have any questions just post or pm, and i will try to answer them.

but ill be at work for the next 2-3 weeks 

Logitech G710+ comes with MX Brown keys with o-ring pre-attached. It's quite quiet but MX Reds with o-rings would be even more quiet. However, with MX Reds you'd have to attach the o-rings yourself or pay a lot of extra to have someone do it for you.

MX Blues and Browns will piss off your lady. 

O-rings ruin mech switches.

Never tried Blacks or Reds.

The Deathstalker doesn't offer a lot. It's a pretty basic keyboard. It's the Synapse software that makes it special. Other than that, it's just pretty being all matte and backlit-y. If you're not into all the "bells and whistles" as Linus would say, then you should get the Deathstalker if you're willing to spend on it. 

well lets say i have the razer death stalker, and i regret buying it at times ( standard edition )

I've had that problem with the Nostromo when it first supported Synapse.But after the first update, it was all good. Blackwidow, Naga and Naga 2012 never encountered the problem. Maybe you should contact Razer and have em t/s or RMA that Stalker for you. My friend has one and never had problems with it.

Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 - Naga 2012 - Naga - Tiamat 2.2 - Electra - Nostromo - Manticor - Scarab - Mouse Bungee - Hoodie - Messenger Bag - Keyboard Bag - L33T Pack - Synapse - Comms - Game Booster 

Logitech G710+ comes with MX Brown keys with o-ring pre-attached. It's quite quiet but MX Reds with o-rings would be even more quiet. However, with MX Reds you'd have to attach the o-rings yourself or pay a lot of extra to have someone do it for you.

Interesting. Unfortunately I absolutely hate the design of all the keyboards in that line. I'm not a big fan of the way most of Logitech stuff looks. I might look into getting something with MX Reds and fitting some O rings myself though. Thanks.

That's good to know. It's not completely put me off it but it's good to hear that side of the story from someone who's used it for a while. Most reviews are just listing specs and stuff and don't offer much insight beyond what seems to be a quick test for a few days. Thanks!