Teen Drops $33K on Historic Wikileaks Server Using Dad’s eBay Account

mgsstar

After 10 days and 93 bids, an historic server used to host Wikileaks’ treasure trove of secret documents has sold on eBay — to a 17-year-old who used his dad’s email account without permission.

Swedish ISP Bahnhof, which had hosted Wikileaks for about eight months starting back in 2010,decided to sell the server last week, hoping to raise money for two charities: Reporters Without Borders and the 5th of July Foundation, a digital rights group.

The winning bid was $33,000. But according to Bahnhof CEO John Karlung, soon after the auction closed this morning, he got a message from the buyer, saying he wants to back out of the deal. His son bought the item without his knowledge or permission.

---------------------------------------------

Karlung wouldn’t identify the buyer, saying he wanted to preserve his privacy. But he put us in touch with the unlucky server-winner. He says he’s an industrial maintenance worker who lives just outside of Lisbon. He forwarded us the messages he sent Karlung after his son won the auction.

“My son is 17 years old and is crazy about conspiracy theory,” the winner wrote to Karlung.

In an email interview, the forlorn winner said that he was “speechless” when he learned about his son’s purchase. But they haven’t had time to talk yet. “A more serious conversation will be tomorrow,” he said.

The number-two bidder now gets a shot at owning a piece of history — for $32,900. Lucky them — provided their bid is legit.

Source:http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/09/teen-wikileaks/

$33,000 for a server is quite expensive. That teen is probably in big trouble now for dropping that much money for a server lol.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

MY dad would have beat me up and down the block several times if that was me

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

MY dad would have beat me up and down the block several times if that was me

Ah, Armenian dads, gotta love them.  :D

It's the moms you have to watch out for, they have serious chstik throwing skills. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

Just to give you guys some info. Take it or leave it. I have bipolar disorder and kids who have bipolar disorder usually do stupid crap like this. They are also more inclined to believe in conspiracy theories. I remember before I was on meds that I used to really get into stuff way too much and I would usually spend a lot of my mom and dad's money thinking that I really NEEDED the stuff I was buying. One month alone I spent over $1000 on Xbox games that I still never played. That was a long time ago and I am on meds for the bipolar disorder now. If this is the case, I feel really bad for the kid and his family because living with someone who is bipolar is not fun. If he is indeed bipolar, it probably never crossed his mind how this could be affecting his dad because most of us bipolar people, when we get into that mode, we just act without thinking of the consequences.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

Murica

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

What a dumb kid. To be honest he is 17, should be considered a young adult.

Not sure about you guys, but when I was 17 even 13 I had more common sense than this...

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Should have bought Codename: 'Murica

Should have bought a 64 core folding rig and made Whaler cry

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Ah, Armenian dads, gotta love them.  :D

It's the moms you have to watch out for, they have serious chstik throwing skills. 

They got nothing on grand ma's. A whole life of practicing that shit. Ninja accuracy

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Oh god if I did that my dad would kick me out. 

thats it ?

lucky

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Eh, I don't see the big deal. Lots of buyers retract even after they pay for their bids. If I were the second-chance winner though, I'd wonder how much I'd have to pay for it if it weren't for this conspiracy kid jacking the price up.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Is that kid still alive?

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

Is that kid still alive?

your avatar fits this topic :P 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

your avatar fits this topic :P

So does yours  :P

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

thats it ?

lucky

he would do a lot more, I just don't feel like i should post it on this forum. lol. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

It's insane that kids do this kind of stuff, but it happens all the time. A kid in my engineering class last year ordered 8 xbox 360s and a pair of beats headphones off of his dad's credit card because he was mad at him. What makes it even worse is that he ordered the most useless items in the world lol.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

So does yours  :P

lol

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler