4670k Stock Temps

Tyranade

Okay so I just ran Minecraft and flew up over an area of the world and watched as it rendered everything. And I checked Hardware Monitor and my CPU Temps on a Stock 4670k where hitting near 60c with a H60 v2 in Push. I am usually sitting in the Low 30s when just web browsing and listening to music with the fan at 1200 - 1500RPM.

I am also playing at the moment on the Integrated GPU as I have not got my 760 yet.

Is that normal?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D | Cooler: NZXT Kraken 360 2023 Edition | Motherboard: Asus X670-P Wi-Fi |  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MT/s

GPU: XFX AMD Radeon 7800XT | PSU: NZXT C1000 | Storage: Corsair MP600 Core XT 2TB | Case: NZXT H7 Flow

CPU-Z Validation

Seems normal to me, maybe a tiny bit high, but nothing huge.. The H60 is a thin rad cooler, so performance is not the best. And the 4670K can get pretty hot even at stock. 

If you have some extra thermal paste, you can try to mount it again, but there probably won't be a big difference.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Seems normal to me, maybe a tiny bit high, but nothing huge.. The H60 is a thin rad cooler, so performance is not the best. And the 4670K can get pretty hot even at stock. 

If you have some extra thermal paste, you can try to mount it again, but there probably won't be a big difference.

I'm not going to Overclock it till I put it into an ATX Motherboard with an H100i. But are my Temps Okay?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D | Cooler: NZXT Kraken 360 2023 Edition | Motherboard: Asus X670-P Wi-Fi |  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MT/s

GPU: XFX AMD Radeon 7800XT | PSU: NZXT C1000 | Storage: Corsair MP600 Core XT 2TB | Case: NZXT H7 Flow

CPU-Z Validation

I'm not going to Overclock it till I put it into an ATX Motherboard with an H100i. But are my Temps Okay?

Yes, that is wayyy below the max operating temperature of the CPU. You should be fine until it gets to around 90C!

Overclocking will be great with a H100!

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Yes, that is wayyy below the max operating temperature of the CPU. You should be fine until it gets to around 90C!

I know It runs hotter than Ivy and when I looked at reviews of the H60 V2 Stock 3770K Temps at full load where 53c so I am around that ball park. I guess it doesn't help that I flew to the world height in Minecraft and watched the CPU Render it all aha.

CPU-Z Validation

Am I not right in thinking it will throttle itself down if it gets too hot anyway?

I just quickly switched on OCCT and put in in Linpack mode with AVX and 90% memory on and my CPU hit 70c O.o.

post-29713-0-38413100-1379010598_thumb.p

CPU-Z Validation

Am I not right in thinking it will throttle itself down if it gets too hot anyway?

Yes that is true, that point is around 100C. It is just safer to not let the CPU get that hot.

So yeah is it normal for a Linpack test for a CPU To hit 70c at stock O.o?

I looked at a 4770k Review and with a H100i they where getting 57c at full load and I am at 60ish with only well half the surface area and fans so XP! I guess I am fine...

But the 70c with Linpack is a bit o.0!

CPU-Z Validation

So yeah is it normal for a Linpack test for a CPU To hit 70c at stock O.o?

I looked at a 4770k Review and with a H100i they where getting 57c at full load and I am at 60ish with only well half the surface area and fans so XP! I guess I am fine...

But the 70c with Linpack is a bit o.0!

Haswell does run quiet warm, even at stock. You might be able to get better temps with a cooler reseat, but I see no point of spending time to do that if you are not going to be overclocking.

BTW 70C will cause no damage to the CPU. It is well under the max temp limit!

Haswell does run quiet warm, even at stock. You might be able to get better temps with a cooler reseat, but I see no point of spending time to do that if you are not going to be overclocking.

BTW 70C will cause no damage to the CPU. It is well under the max temp limit!

I may buy another fan for the H60 V2 in a while and I will Re-Seat it then if I buy one.

Thanks for the advice.

After some googling I Found that Linpack is designed to stress the living hell out of the Thermal limits of the CPU to unrealistic levels.

CPU-Z Validation

I use AIDA64 to stress test my CPU and the max temp that I got on it was 55C on a LQ310 which is similar to the H60 and my config is push pull. And the idle temps average 35C so imo its fine.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Yea looks normal to me. My 4670k OC to 4.2 hits 27-30 at idle and 55-60 when gaming. Using an H100i.

Asus Gryphon w/Thermal Armor / Intel i5 4670K / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB / Asus ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum / Samsung 830 / Seagate Barracuda

Corsair AX860 / Corsiar 350D / Corsair H100i / Windows 8 Pro

my 4670k running at stock is running 30* idle and went right up to 80* after 1 minute in prim95 although that was using the stock cooler that came with the cpu.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini / Motherboard:GigaByte G1-Sniper-M5 / CPU: Intel 4670k / Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz / GPU: Asus GTX770 Direct CU 2GB / PSU: OCZ ZT650 / SSD: 2xSamsung 840 240GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Cooler: Corsair H100i / Fans: 3x Corsair AF120 + 2 Corsair SP120 / Mouse: Corsair M65 / Keyboard: Cheap Crap/ Headset: Razer Kraken / Misk: 3DConnexion mouse / Flight stick: Cyborg F.L.Y 5

I am just a tad concerned that I went from 60ish c under load and when running Cinebench and Watching Minecraft Render pretty much everything using the CPU to the 70c I had when I ran OCCT On Linpack.

CPU-Z Validation

I am just a tad concerned that I went from 60ish c under load and when running Cinebench and Watching Minecraft Render pretty much everything using the CPU to the 70c I had when I ran OCCT On Linpack.

typical results with that type of cooling solution. barely two-steps above the stock cooler.

i wouldn't spend any more money on upgrading fan(s) as best scenario would be 3°-5°

lower temps or worse, using wrong fan(s).

would be a better feat to learn to underclock or under-volt the CPU. even at stock,

the CPU is receiving over-compensated voltage, thus making for higher temperatures.

yeah, you don't have the high-end cooler, but you can make the system a lil more

cooler and predictable by under-volting the CPU for a stock multiplier. and you don't

even have to spend money for it.. it is free!

time to watch this video from TTL 1155 OC guide. yes it is the Ivy Bridge, but the

same principals apply. setting the voltage to a lower value will lower temperatures

without compensating on output. this will also allow you to get the education of

what under/overclocking is about.

i under-volted my i7-4770k from 1.21v "AUTO" for 39xmulti to a easier 1.000v

dropping temps from 69° loaded (OCCT) to 55° loaded (OCCT) and stable.

14° cooler with same processing performance.

airdeano

typical results with that type of cooling solution. barely two-steps above the stock cooler.

i wouldn't spend any more money on upgrading fan(s) as best scenario would be 3°-5°

lower temps or worse, using wrong fan(s).

would be a better feat to learn to underclock or under-volt the CPU. even at stock,

the CPU is receiving over-compensated voltage, thus making for higher temperatures.

yeah, you don't have the high-end cooler, but you can make the system a lil more

cooler and predictable by under-volting the CPU for a stock multiplier. and you don't

even have to spend money for it.. it is free!

time to watch this video from TTL 1155 OC guide. yes it is the Ivy Bridge, but the

same principals apply. setting the voltage to a lower value will lower temperatures

without compensating on output. this will also allow you to get the education of

what under/overclocking is about.

i under-volted my i7-4770k from 1.21v "AUTO" for 39xmulti to a easier 1.000v

dropping temps from 69° loaded (OCCT) to 55° loaded (OCCT) and stable.

14° cooler with same processing performance.

airdeano

I think I will leave it as-is. I wont be over clocking to CPU till I finally build my Z87 ATX System (Currently on ITX) and get a H100i.

CPU-Z Validation