Way too HOT

OK folks we have a problem.....

I have a

Maximus VI Gene with a 4770k, Noctua NH-D14 cooler in a silverstone SG10

So far so good.

The problem lies in that i am running a EVGA GTX 780 ACX and purchased a second for SLI.  Now the primary card is choked and throttling.  I really should have looked for spacing on the motherboard before I took the leap

My options are:

1 Return the second card and suck up a $100 restocking fee.

2. as 1. and purchase a standard cooling card to use closest to the CPU. EVGA SC with out the ACX so it has the blower. (anyone know if this would work.

3. install a couple of Noctua fans blowing directly on the cards and put a little spacer between them to push them apart (a little ghetto)

4. Post here looking for other suggestions.

Thanks guys.

3rd option works well for me i have a ghetto fan installed directly behind the cards and top card's temps are 3c higher than bottom one (without it its like 8c to 10c)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

WATERCOOL THEM!!

no seriuslee i would go whith the ghetto but no need for 2 big noctuas

u just need air IN that space and remember all fans blow a circle of air with a 35% no blow in the middle

EDIT:if you're gonna go with the ghetto post pics ;)

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

How close are the cards?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What are your temps? Out of curiosity.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Can you take a picture of the both cards stacked together?

"It's like all common sense just goes out of the window when a computer is involved."

Option 3 sounds like your best bet. Either that or get a different Mobo.

Never eat a restocking fee. Those fees are offensive and way more than necessary.

You could get a motherboard that will not choke the top card for the price of that restock fee.

I'm not an audiophile, I'm just really picky about my music... and my headphones... and my speakers... and my microphone. Other than that, I'm totally not an audiophile.

Option 3 sounds like your best bet. Either that or get a different Mobo.

Never eat a restocking fee. Those fees are offensive and way more than necessary.

You could get a motherboard that will not choke the top card for the price of that restock fee.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_HERO/

This is what you should have bought if you were going SLI. Maybe if it is within 30 days you can upgrade and send back the board you're using.

I'm not an audiophile, I'm just really picky about my music... and my headphones... and my speakers... and my microphone. Other than that, I'm totally not an audiophile.

Ok, update...

open case I do not have a problem... Dont get the throttling issue with the case open.. Can run 3d mark without a problem.  So I need more cooling.  Im going to try the fans- hope it works

WilliamDB, I wanted a SFF case- I want an OMG this thing rocks in a 23L case.  and OMG this thing rocks, as long as the case is not closed...LOL

here are some pics.

I've decided Im going to replace the silverstone 120mm Side fan with a Noctua 120mm and 2 - 92mm Fans.  That should move about 150m^3/h over the video cards- if that doesn't do it I have no idea what will

Fans Ordered... should be here next week.  Ill keep you all posted.

my 780's did this on top of eachother but they never throttled, I just put one in slot 1 and 1 in slot 3 and it dropped the top cards temps by so much. You may just want to get a new mobo with better spacing or something, if not just try getting fans aimed at them.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

well if i get a new mobo, it means new case too.  this is a matx case.  I love the case... How the heck do you post a photo here.

Thanks guys, fans installed and it never hits close to 90 during 3dmark.  Got over 18000 now.  Thank you Noctua!  I spend $50 on fans, certainly beats $100 restocking fee.

Thanks guys, fans installed and it never hits close to 90 during 3dmark.  Got over 18000 now.  Thank you Noctua!  I spend $50 on fans, certainly beats $100 restocking fee.

Noctua is the best, bar none 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Watercooling was suggested as a joke but seriously, why not? Would solve all your issues, spacing would not be a problem and with EVGA's new overclocking suite you would get some nice clocks out of the card with little no or issues. And you can watercool for the price of a good MB

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

can you get some sticky rubber pads like the ones you put under things so they don't slip around?

You could put a few on the top card so it pushes the 2 cards away from each other.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

i think water cooling your graphics is a good idea for not a huge price

200 bucks for the blocks

50 bucks for a pump

50 bucks for a res
100 bucks for a rad

personally i think that spending 400 bucks to cool that powerful of a system is worth it.

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD