would this fold?

hey guys,

Just want to check this before i purchase this,

i have a 3-4 low end graphics cards lying around (gt 640's, gt 210 and some low end amd card).

i'm thinking about getting this motherboard:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321199444785?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Use a dremel to remove the ends of the pcie x1 slot so i can put graphics cards in them. would this work? my main concern is pcie bandwidth how much of a bottleneck is this going to be?

was thinking about using this cpu:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Athlon-II-X4-635-Propus-2-9GHz-Socket-AM3-95W-Quad-Core-Desktop-Processor-/271272404093?pt=UK_Computing_CPUs_Processors&hash=item3f2918647d

any feedback on this would be great. thank :)

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Well them GPUs are i think useless for folding, not sure thou. You need some CUDA cores on nvidia or OpenCL on AMD. Again not sure.

I can't answer all of your questions, but I know for sure that for folding you're fine with x1. I have a 7970 in a x1 slot and the ppd is the same

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

I can't answer all of your questions, but I know for sure that for folding you're fine with x1. I have a 7970 in a x1 slot and the ppd is the same

Thanks, the bandwidth was my main concern.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

EDIT: Double post.

Can a geforce 210 fold? Well last i checked with my 210, it can. 

Although only expect a 1k ppd ( i need to check again to be sure on the ppd figures.)

The 640 can fold but I dont know the PPD figures. Amd, because I dont know which cards your referring to, may or may not work.

Generally, if it's HD 5000 and above, it can fold. HD 4000 and below, I think F@H has fully dropped support for. (May be wrong on that.)

And yes, as long as the the cards can get into the PCI-e slots (doesn't matter if it's PCI-e 1.0 x1 or 3.0 x16), You'll be fine.

Although only expect a 1k ppd ( i need to check again to be sure on the ppd figures.)

The 640 can fold but I dont know the PPD figures. Amd, because I dont know which cards your referring to, may or may not work.

Generally, if it's HD 5000 and above, it can fold. HD 4000 and below, I think F@H has fully dropped support for. (May be wrong on that.)

And yes, as long as the the cards can get into the PCI-e slots (doesn't matter if it's PCI-e 1.0 x1 or 3.0 x16), You'll be fine.

thanks for the reply, i think my amd card is below 5000 series so it probably wont work, what nvidia cards don't have support? if you know :)

I wouldnt, no point in doing it on Nvidia cards IMO

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

thanks for the reply, i think my amd card is below 5000 series so it probably wont work, what nvidia cards don't have support? if you know :)

As of this moment, All cuda enabled gpu's (8000 series and above) have support. Although that has been slowly changing.

Within the next year or 2, all Nvidia gpu's at the 200 series and below WILL loose support.  So only the 400 and above series will still continue to fold.

If there just laying around, He might as well use them.  ;)

Heck there still people folding on there Intel Pentium 4 cpu's to this day and those dont net much points but use a lot more electricity than these gpu's. 

http://www.electronicscafe.com/ati-b170-dell-cp306-pci-e-dvi-s-video-256mb-graphics-card-p-n-109-b17031-00/

this is the amd card i have i'm guessing it wont work.

Saddly, no.

A quick look up relieved that it's basically a HD 2400 Pro card and thus, it isn't supported.

Also, I re-looked into what is and isn't supported, yes, AMD/ATI cards 4000 and below is not supported.

http://folding.typepad.com/news/2011/03/fah-support-for-ati-gpus.html

MARCH 15, 2011

FAH Support for ATI GPUs

We have been working to improve our support for AMD/ATI GPUs. AMD/ATI originally supported the Brook language for GPU programming, but has since moved to OpenCL, dropping support for Brook. This means that in order for FAH to support ATI GPUs, we have had to rewrite our ATI GPU core in OpenCL. This has been a huge undertaking, but is coming to fruition (check out http://simtk.org/home/openmm for details and a change log with progress updates). Due to ATI's decision to drop Brook in lieu of OpenCL, new FAH ATI GPU core development can only be done in OpenCL and thus can only run on GPUs which ATI supports with OpenCL. 

We want to give ATI donors a heads up that ATI does not support all of its GPUs with OpenCL (the series 3xxx are not supported and the series 4xxx does not have sufficient OpenCL support for efficient FAH calculations). For the short term, we will support both the older (Brook coded) ATI core 11, and the newer (OpenCL coded) ATI core 16, but we cannot support the Brook-based core for much longer. We plan to support ATI core 11 until September 1, 2011 (hopefully longer, but we want to get this on donors' radars). Closing support for a given platform is never a popular decision, but in this case, we have no choice due to the lack of vendor support of that platform.

The good news is that ATI's support for OpenCL is very strong and we're excited about our new ATI openCL core (core 16), which is undergoing testing right now. ATI core 16 will be publicly released after the v7 client is released, as the core needs the new client.

http://folding.typepad.com/news/2011/03/core-16-for-ati-released-also-note-on-nvidia-gpu-support-for-older-boards.html

MARCH 31, 2011

Core 16 for ATI released; also note on NVIDIA GPU support for older boards

In a previous post, I mentioned our plans for supporting ATI GPUs.  I'm happy to announce that with the release of v7 into open beta, we have now released ATI core 16 GPU3 WUs into advanced methods for Folding@home.  Please see Dr. Lin's forum post for details.

We are doing a gradual rollout of these WUs, for a couple of reasons.  First, while this has gone through beta testing, it is still pretty new, so we want to be cautious with its rollout.  Second, I would like to add some more servers to help the load.  These servers are being delivered today and will likley be on line in a week or two.  Depending on the load on the ATI core 16 Work server, we may wait for a full release until the new hardware is on line.

Just a reminder from the previous post that there are some limitations in our ability to support ATI boards.  In particular, we're limited to those which support OpenCL 1.1 in order to get any sort of reasonable performance out of the hardware.  This means that only 5xxx ATI GPU boards or later will work with the new core 16 (the series 3xxx are not supported and the series 4xxx does not have sufficient OpenCL support).  However, we will keep core 11 support going hopefully at least until Sept 1, 2011 in order to support the older hardware.

Also, we are looking at support of older NVIDIA GPUs as well.  In particular, there have been reported issues with some 8xxx series boards.  We may have to limit their support as well due to analogous hardware compatibility issues.

We're excited to be able to release OpenCL support for ATI GPUs.  However, I want to stress that it is still pretty early days for this code, but we're excited about where this is going.

Could you please clarify this statement and your source!

On Core 17 based projects AMD just edge out equivalent NVidia cards, yet both are almost equal and now 700 series are actually more power efficient and a LOT quieter. 780 and Titan pretty much dominate,

On any other GPU Core a NVidia card still crushes AMD. I will tell anyone who asks what card to get, NVidia is a rock solid option. Depending on other factors, AMD may be the way to go... but NVidia will never be a bad choice. As well, the Pande group now has beta drives for NVidia cards in Linux. Can you say 32 core + 4 GPU's?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Could you please clarify this statement and your source!

On Core 17 based projects AMD just edge out equivalent NVidia cards, yet both are almost equal and now 700 series are actually more power efficient and a LOT quieter. 780 and Titan pretty much dominate,

On any other GPU Core a NVidia card still crushes AMD. I will tell anyone who asks what card to get, NVidia is a rock solid option. Depending on other factors, AMD may be the way to go... but NVidia will never be a bad choice. As well, the Pande group now has beta drives for NVidia cards in Linux. Can you say 32 core + 4 GPU's?

Just in my experience I have gotten better results from a AMD card.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Make sure you review the mobo manual about PCIe lanes and power. Lot of boards disable some slots when others utilized. And yes, 640's are pretty decent ones. 4-6K PPD, no external power required... decent cards. Don't bother mixing low end AMD and NVidia... can get pretty messy. Just fold on all the NVidia ones...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Just in my experience I have gotten better results from a AMD card.

What various models have you tested and for how long?

What various models have you tested and for how long?

I honestly should have tested more equivalent cards but whatever. AMD cards are also cheaper and cheaper is more or my type :P

I believe the Nvidia card was a 5500GT. Don't remember the AMD one though. 

I honestly should have tested more equivalent cards but whatever. AMD cards are also cheaper and cheaper is more or my type :P

I believe the Nvidia card was a 5500GT. Don't remember the AMD one though.

So you tested an old nvidia card and an old amd card and you draw conclusions from that?

If something is "more of your type", that doesn't mean that the other thing isn't an option. And a good one in this case. As whaler said, the 780 and titan are current kings of gpu folding

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

So you tested an old nvidia card and an old amd card and you draw conclusions from that?

If something is "more of your type", that doesn't mean that the other thing isn't an option. And a good one in this case. As whaler said, the 780 and titan are current kings of gpu folding

Just an opinion. Thats why I put "IMO" at the end of my original post.

Just an opinion. Thats why I put "IMO" at the end of my original post.

Yes, but even with that. :)  Some new users may read the "NVidia doesn't work" and skip the rest. TL:DR you know? :)

I just want to be very careful of "blanket" statements influence others - as long as statements made are clear.

BTW - that NVidia you tested, isn't supported. :)

Yes, but even with that. :)  Some new users may read the "NVidia doesn't work" and skip the rest. TL:DR you know? :)

I just want to be very careful of "blanket" statements influence others - as long as statements made are clear.

I will go check the card when I get home form school. 

They should be fine, I used to fold on my GeForce GT 630, perfectly fine (also not a 600 series, ignore the name lol).

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

ahhh it was a 9400GT. my bad