CM Storm Scout 2 Lower Hard Drive Removal?

WorldDominator

Can I remove the lower part of this? I know it probably isn't "recommended" but I would rather the radiator in the front of my case as opposed to the top, when I do get around to my own loop. It looks like it's held in with what I assume are rivets. Can I just pop those off? also, any suggestions on what to do with my hard drive once I do so? I'm going to stick my SSD to the back of my mobo tray I think, just unsure of HD lol.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Can I remove the lower part of this? I know it probably isn't "recommended" but I would rather the radiator in the front of my case as opposed to the top, when I do get around to my own loop. It looks like it's held in with what I assume are rivets. Can I just pop those off? also, any suggestions on what to do with my hard drive once I do so? I'm going to stick my SSD to the back of my mobo tray I think, just unsure of HD lol.

not possible, removed the top one today :P

not possible, removed the top one today :P

I removed the upper one as soon as i got it lol, You sure you can't just cut those out?

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

I have this case. You can remove the center drive cage but to remove the lower drive cage you will have to pop some rivets, and you will probably have to use a Dremel. The thing is, the "rivets" or whatever they are don't come out easily in my experience.

EDIT: You could mount the hard drive in a 5.25 to 3.5 inch drive bay adapter, if you aren't already using all your drive bays.

May the Force be with you.

the best way to remove rivets is to drill thru them. it s very easy.

i wouldn t use a dremel tho. it would scratch the case around the rivet unless you re very carefull.

don t expect to put them back in without bolts tho.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

the best way to remove rivets is to drill thru them. it s very easy.

i wouldn t use a dremel tho. it would scratch the case around the rivet unless you re very carefull.

don t expect to put them back in without bolts tho.

Well like I said I'm planning on putting a rad there so that's no big deal.

I have this case. You can remove the center drive cage but to remove the lower drive cage you will have to pop some rivets, and you will probably have to use a Dremel. The thing is, the "rivets" or whatever they are don't come out easily in my experience.

EDIT: You could mount the hard drive in a 5.25 to 3.5 inch drive bay adapter, if you aren't already using all your drive bays.

Good, gooood. I may be getting a dremel from santa...I'm not using any of the 5.25'ers. Were any of these adapters included with the case? :P

This sounds wonderful. Thanks guys!

• 4 weeks later...

How do you remove the top cage? I could only remove one side of it (the one facing the mobo), the other one seems fixed to the case :/

How do you remove the top cage? I could only remove one side of it (the one facing the mobo), the other one seems fixed to the case :/

you mean the 5.25" ones? I have no clue nor am I going to find out lol. sorry

• 1 month later...

you mean the 5.25" ones? I have no clue nor am I going to find out lol. sorry

No, no. I mean the top 3.5" cage... assuming they are two separate cages. I can only remove one side of it, but the side facing the front fans is fixed to the case. This leaves me with more space for the graphics card (which I don't need) and less room for HDDs, but no room at all for a 120mm rad (which could fit).

PS: Sorry for taking almost two months to reply, but my PSU died and local stores in México are the worst when it comes to warranty support.

• 2 weeks later...

No, no. I mean the top 3.5" cage... assuming they are two separate cages. I can only remove one side of it, but the side facing the front fans is fixed to the case. This leaves me with more space for the graphics card (which I don't need) and less room for HDDs, but no room at all for a 120mm rad (which could fit).

PS: Sorry for taking almost two months to reply, but my PSU died and local stores in México are the worst when it comes to warranty support.

I have yet to take the lower one. I really don't know what to tell you :3

• 5 months later...

Did you ever have any luck removing that drive cage? I might buy this case, but only if that drive cage comes out "easily" because I also plan to put a dual rad up front.

• 2 months later...