FCC says it will unlock set-top boxes

Guest Kloaked

Original article: http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/01/in-blow-to-cable-lobby-fcc-wants-tv-to-be-available-on-any-device/

fcc-logo_white-on-black.jpg

Pay-TV providers would have to make video programming available to the makers of third-party devices and software under a proposal by Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler.

Well there you have it. All you need to know. Take care now. Bye bye then...

2014-08-20-theresmore.jpg

Yeah man. There's more to this to understand what could potentially come from it (I emphasize the word potentially).

Wheeler wants TV providers to give third parties access to three main categories of information and content: information about what programming is available to consumers, including channel listings and video-on-demand; information about what a device is allowed to do with that content, such as recording; and the video content itself.

This would allow device makers or app makers to make each customer's TV programming available in new interfaces with innovative menus and comprehensive search functions. It could also help consumers avoid expensive set-top box rental fees. Potentially, devices like the Apple TV or Chromecast could provide traditional pay-TV content alongside online streaming video.

Mmmmmmm yes behbeh pls gimme

Now, again, this is something that could potentially happen. You could be looking at ChromeCast sized devices as replacements for your stupidly oversized set top boxes for your cable. Why are those things still so large when we have shit like the ChromeCast and whatnot that just runs off of your internet connection? These set top boxes are outdated; even the ones today are just so overly large for what they do.

Anyways, go read the rest of the article to get what is supposed to happen. I do hope the FCC gets this passed.

so essentially this means that a slightly larger apple tv with a coaxial in can play cable tv channels or does it mean that it it would play tv channels over the internet?

LG 34" 21:9 1440p

1080ti EVGA FTW3

i7 8700k @ 5GHz 1.3V Delidded

so essentially this means that a slightly larger apple tv with a coaxial in can play cable tv channels or does it mean that it it would play tv channels over the internet?

Yes to both. Potentially.

Broadcasters wouldn't be able to lock their content to their own set-top boxes.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

now let's watch cable companies start a fud campaign to prevent this from happening

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

now let's watch cable companies start a fud campaign to prevent this from happening

They have been. It's all in the article.

How much are set-top boxes? I've never had cable so I have no experience with them?

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

So they have to make it available for third-parties.

Probably won't do sh*t because the support will be complete sh*t and it will probably never work...

Third-part support is useless if the stuff they provide is buggy, crap and just a pile of poo that will never work...

Or do i understand it wrong?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

That first amendment part was hilarious  :D  :D  :D

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

They have been. It's all in the article.

"It's clear that government prescription of navigation device content, which is what the FCC will do as it determines acceptable presentation and menu formats and the like, violates the First Amendment free speech guarantee, This won't likely concern the Commission, but it should concern all those who care about keeping the government from dictating speech content and who respect the First Amendment."

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

I'm not even american, but even i can tell how retarded that sounds

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

So it's like CableCards ? You have access to the content but third parties can provide their own interface and shizzle ? That would be pretty sweet to be able to choose your interface and features. CableCards never made it to Canada so it always sucked to use a computer to watch live TV. You had to own 1 settop boxe per tuner... How inefficient. 

Cablecard was nice until we had to switch to SDV to increase bandwidth to IP services/DOCSIS, in the process of reallocating spectrum and transitioning to digital (vs hd analog) we now need a tuning adapter to accompany our cablecard equipment. Currently, consumers can't own SDV tuners, and most are provided for free by cable providers, for now. It seems like the FCC is on a path to allow us to actually use our own hardware in  our homes, but it might be too late already.

Companies like TWC and Verizon already  have live streaming  of your TV content on the Web, over apps on your phones and tablets, and for media devices like Samsung smart TVs and Roku streaming devices. So it seems like the FCC is lagging behind an bit. THis would have been nice 2 years ago to accompany the move to SDV (Switched Digital Video).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Cablecard was nice until we had to switch to SDV to increase bandwidth to IP services/DOCSIS, in the process of reallocating spectrum and transitioning to digital (vs hd analog) we now need a tuning adapter to accompany our cablecard equipment. Currently, consumers can't own SDV tuners, and most are provided for free by cable providers, for now. It seems like the FCC is on a path to allow us to actually use our own hardware in our homes, but it might be too late already.

Companies like TWC and Verizon already have live streaming of your TV content on the Web, over apps on your phones and tablets, and for media devices like Samsung smart TVs and Roku streaming devices. So it seems like the FCC is lagging behind an bit. THis would have been nice 2 years ago to accompany the move to SDV (Switched Digital Video).

Lagging behind or not though, there's still people locked into boxes like me. My service provider is Charter. They own TWC apparently but we haven't gotten out of boxes yet. They even gave us new ones recently.

Personally, I'd just like to be able to choose my own storage device for our DVR. Particularly, how much it can store. The one that DirecTV saddled us with 4 years ago is a fucking joke. It was a fucking joke 4 years ago, and the fact we have to pay for it endlessly, is asinine.

Go FCC go.

Addendum: Also, it can only record two things at once. And even then, you have to be on one of the channels of those two shows.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Personally, I'd just like to be able to choose my own storage device for our DVR. Particularly, how much it can store. The one that DirecTV saddled us with 4 years ago is a fucking joke. It was a fucking joke 4 years ago, and the fact we have to pay for it endlessly, is asinine.

Go FCC go.

Addendum: Also, it can only record two things at once. And even then, you have to be on one of the channels of those two shows.

Step 1: Get Cable

Step 2: Get Cablecard

Step 3: Get HDHomeRun or Ceton InfiniTV

Step 4: Use your own NAS or storage server

Step 5: Profit

Or go FTA. That's what I did. I get local news channels, PBS, and a few other interesting channels.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Step 1: Get Cable

Step 2: Get Cablecard

Step 3: Get HDHomeRun or Ceton InfiniTV

Step 4: Use your own NAS or storage server

Step 5: Profit

Or go FTA. That's what I did. I get local news channels, PBS, and a few other interesting channels.

I'd prefer just to go with Amazon Prime and Netflix for my viewing needs.

Sadly, Netflix is going full retard and putting good things on DVD only, and filling their lineup with their own shit.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I pulled an old HDD from one (was a DVR) for my lil bros build. its for storage so speed doesn't matter as much. and yes, it's 5400rpm x)

these boxes are big, slow, and run HOT.

I'd prefer just to go with Amazon Prime and Netflix for my viewing needs.

Sadly, Netflix is going full retard and putting good things on DVD only, and filling their lineup with their own shit.

Netflix might do some retarded shit like that, indeed. but as long as they keep that family guy, american dad, and bobs burger license.. I have background noise for my TV :D

Its about time, I have used cable in a very long time, the tech is old and needs to be gotten rid of. Basically this shows just how narrow minded cable companies really are.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER