Sony to "Spin-off" PlayStation as its own company

Original Article: http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/26/sony-interactive-entertainment-llc/

IMG_5008-1024.jpg

Title says it all really. Sony is going to be cutting ties with it's PlayStation brand and forming a new "separate" company out of the new division.

The new company is rumored to be called

"Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC"

It is to combine Sony computer Entertainment with Sony Network Entertainment and will be led under Andrew House as CEO.

No much is said to change, but the company will now have its HQ based in California, and will officially class

"April 1st as its first say of business" EDIT: And will have a starting capital of $2 Million

Many are speculating this is due to Sony's recent financial struggle, even though its mobile division is not holding strong - Sony is succeeding in other ares such as Cameras and modules which it leases to other smartphone manufactures. 

People are joking at the fact that Sony can change it's name, but users cannot change their PSN names...

My thoughts:

Not much to say. They are splitting off profitable segments of their business, probably due to their recent financial issues and having to dispose of some sub-businesses (Just my thought, probably not true)

but overall, this shouldn't really affect the mass public for the time being.

Your thoughts? Please leave them down below!

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

I'm putting down $100 that in the next 5 years it is either sold to another company or will suffer the same fate as Sony Online Entertainment (now Daybreak Gaming company)

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Weren't they talking about this a long time ago? I thought it was one of the things mentioned with the break of SoE

the play station division is the only division making them money, so theres probably some strategy to that. Maybe get taxed less since they make less? 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Weren't they talking about this a long time ago? I thought it was one of the things mentioned with the break of SoE

Sony stretched themselves too far too fast. 

Vaio died, SOE died, their phones are not doing well, nor are their cameras. 

SOE (Daybreak) is doing better now, PlanetSide 2 and H1Z1 are making them profits. 

As for Playstation, it will either become stand alone, join Daybreak, or bought up by another tech giant (IDK who though, Google probably)

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Sony stretched themselves too far too fast. 

Vaio died, SOE died, their phones are not doing well, nor are their cameras. 

SOE (Daybreak) is doing better now, PlanetSide 2 and H1Z1 are making them profits. 

As for Playstation, it will either become stand alone, join Daybreak, or bought up by another tech giant (IDK who though, Google probably)

You know, Google PlayStation sounds good tbh.

You know, Google PlayStation sounds good tbh.

From one Nick-Cage-profile-pic-person to another, I do not think that will go well.

I would rather it go to Daybreak or Samsung than Google, who will buy it then either redo it and kill it or just let it die. 

Solitaire. 

From one Nick-Cage-profile-pic-person to another, I do not think that will go well.

I would rather it go to Daybreak or Samsung than Google, who will buy it then either redo it and kill it or just let it die. 

I just think Google could do some good me thinks. Put some Android version on it, implement Vulkan, gg.

Unexpected, Sony couldn't maintain all of their branching business, guess they'll start focusing on what brings them more money

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

Short term, little to no impact. But what this means in a few years when the next PlayStation console comes out is yet to be seen. This'll definitely be something to watch closely. 

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

This was rumored since PS4 launch. Despite the household name and perceived popularity, the PS4 (and the Xbox console as well) don't give the companies the profit people imagine. As OP's post mentions, Sony profits off their other products while their mobile and gaming are regularly at a loss or just hitting profit. Same for Microsoft. 

I don't imagine the business going so bad that another company buys it out (just like the regular Nintendo buy out rumors. You can't kill a brand this big)  but this is a weird step. Imagine years from now, getting a PlayStation not from Sony??

The Facebook Playstation *now with Oculus support*

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

I'm putting down $100 that in the next 5 years it is either sold to another company or will suffer the same fate as Sony Online Entertainment (now Daybreak Gaming company)

Nvidia could buy them, Or maybe AMD?

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

You know... I really want a Sega Dreamcast 2 :P

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Aren't they already a "separate" company? Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. was a wholly owned subsidiary, and so will Sony Interactive Entertainment, LLC. I don't expect anything to change.

How to create a strong password

Size does not matter; it's how you use it

Isn't this one of the 2 profitable parts of Sony?

I'm not expecting Sony to last much longer tbh.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

This was rumored since PS4 launch. Despite the household name and perceived popularity, the PS4 (and the Xbox console as well) don't give the companies the profit people imagine. As OP's post mentions, Sony profits off their other products while their mobile and gaming are regularly at a loss or just hitting profit. Same for Microsoft. 

I don't imagine the business going so bad that another company buys it out (just like the regular Nintendo buy out rumors. You can't kill a brand this big)  but this is a weird step. Imagine years from now, getting a PlayStation not from Sony??

The Facebook Playstation *now with Oculus support*

Sony, and Microsoft actually used to lose money with the Hardware sales. It was games which got them profit.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Sony, and Microsoft actually used to lose money with the Hardware sales. It was games which got them profit.

I know. But their games don't cover their loses in hardware. Sony makes money back to cover from their other products like cameras and tvs. I think I read somewhere Microsoft's big cash cow is their business systems software(?). If either company had to relay solely on their gaming divisions, they would both have filed for Bankruptcy awhile ago lol

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Should have stayed in Japan.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

"April 1st"

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Maybe AMD will buy out this new company  :lol:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.