Nvidia Shows Off Near-Eye Light Field VR Headset - Eliminates Motion Sickness

Nvidia and Stanford University have partnered to demo a prototype Near-Eye Light Field VR Headset at VRLA (Virtual Reality Los Angeles 2016). This partnership was first announced in November, with Nvidia asking Stanford to help develop what some are calling a "4D" screen for use in VR headsets, with the purpose of completely eliminating motion sickness and eye fatigue. The first prototype only runs at an effective resolution of 640x800 per eye, far too low for any proper use, but nonetheless serves it's purpose as a proof of concept. Don't expect this technology to be available in the VIVE or RIFT anytime soon, as Nvidia claims this technology is at least 3 to 5 years away from reaching the consumer market, perhaps in 2nd or 3rd generation VR headsets.

The tech uses two layers of LCD separated by around 5 millimeters and sends each eye an entire "4D" light field of images so the eye can naturally set focus between objects.​

f4e706604cc63184a59c17d62f2a9ac6_XL.jpg

The technology behind this Near-Eye Light Field is simply two normal LCD panels, spaced 5 mm apart. Each screen is positioned at a slightly different angle, and through the use of a CUDA-Based algorithm, the Light Field Images are computed in real time, which means use of Near-Eye Light Field technology will not require special optimization from developers. This dual-screen solution eliminates motion sickness and eye fatigue by allowing your eyes to naturally focus on objects at the correct distance, rather than the traditional stereoscopic illusion.

Personal opinion: Although in theory, this technology is vendor-agnostic, the fact that Nvidia is developing it raises up a red flag. They may want to control the use of this technology through their own CUDA based algorithm. Overall, however, this pushes the VR industry ahead through solving one of the largest issues on current gen VR headsets. After this becomes implemented, the final barrier to mass adoption will be cost.

Let's hope someone didn't spam-post this first, I put effort into writing this.

Sources:

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/39762-nvidia-shows-off-its-light-field-vr-headset-at-vrla-2016

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-light-field-vr-headset-vr-la-2016/

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/mobile/39295-nvidia-hatches-vr-plan-with-stanford-university

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

I dont see why this has anything to do with motion sickness, but its another Reason to wait with a VR Headset.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Eliminating the motion sickness and eye fatigue part will definitely help push VR into all industries. Though 3-5 years is quite a long wait for this to get pushed out. Maybe AR will catch up in that timeframe (Note: I prefer AR). 

pls not another vr headset .... and on top of all that from Nvidia... is only going to work with nvidia HW + its going to support gimpworks..so.. meh ... oculus and Htc Vive  FTW...

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

light field isn't the end all to motion sickness, it does not solve the issue with locomotion and your vestibular system 

I dont see why this has anything to do with motion sickness, but its another Reason to wait with a VR Headset.

From what I understand, it's how your brain interprets the light hitting your eyes. That's what this aims to solve for people with the problem.

pls not another vr headset .... and on top of all that from Nvidia... is only going to work with nvidia HW + its going to support gimpworks..so.. meh ... oculus and Htc Vive  FTW...

Nvidia VR p0rnw0rks incoming :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

From what I understand, it's how your brain interprets the light hitting your eyes. That's what this aims to solve for people with the problem.

As far as i know it´s about the Movement. Thats why motion sickness dont appear in Games in which you dont move the Body/Legs.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I think the fact the vive doesn't make yvonne sick, and a normal monitor does, is probably a sign the vive has it's sh*t together and motion sickess might be not as big as an issue as we expect. Yes only 1 person but still, have heard a lot of positive stuff about VR headsets and being sick.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

As far as i know it´s about the Movement. Thats why motion sickness dont appear in Games in which you dont move the Body/Legs.

It's a disconnect. If you see yourself moving but don't feel the movement you can also become sick. 

Actually reading this it seems movement isn't necessary at all. You or the image. 

http://www.seesicksyndrome.com/what-is-sss/symptoms/

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

It's a disconnect. If you see yourself moving but don't feel the movement you can also become sick. 

Actually reading this it seems movement isn't necessary at all. You or the image. 

http://www.seesicksyndrome.com/what-is-sss/symptoms/

I meant the virtual Legs.