They are more WIndows 8 users than OSX

GoodBytes

windows vista outnumber OS X 10.8 and google chrome is in a decline O_O what on earth this cant be right....

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Actually it is explainable:

1- Vista is actually not a bad OS, especially after SP1. You just needed the computation power to run it. If you install Vista right now, you'll see it's not as bad as people made it sound like. The big problem was that OEMs was pushing Vista on computers that didn't meet Vista recommended system specs, or/and using legacy technologies which Vista didn't like, as it drop support for them in favor of new, MUCH MUCH needed security increase (which was not possible before due to the technology it supported could not be adapted), and new technologies.

To enjoy Vista you needed:

-> 2GB+ of RAM (addressable).

-> Vista 64-bit.

-> TRUE Dual Core 64-bit CPU at 2GHz or faster.

-> 256MB+ equipped dedicated GPU.

-> Pixel Shader 2.0 compatible graphic card.

-> Full DirectX 9 compatible graphic card (so no S3, or VIA, crappy graphic chip, basically, was everywhere at the time by OEMs. They are crappier then Intel integrated graphic solution by a long shot, if that's believable. They even had trouble playing DVD movies under XP.)

-> System using the latest technologies everywhere.

-> HDD that support NCQ, on SATA

While this is like "Well any computer can do this, and well over that" today, back then, it was a a nice well build Gaming PC. Mix with the fact that OEMs were too busy emptying their stock of old crap, and maximizing profits, instead of actually doing a system right for the right price, and simply go: "Well that's the price, that's the price".

2- Google have been relaxing lately with Chrome. Firefox, Opera and IE are making huge step forward, at every version.

1- Vista is actually not a bad OS, especially after SP1. You just needed the computation power to run it. If you install Vista, you'll see it's not as bad as people made it look like. The big problem was that OEM was pushing Vista on computers that didn't meet Vista recommended system specs, or/and using legacy technologies which Vista didnt' like, as it drop support for them in favor of new, MUCH MUCH needed security, and new technologies.

2- Google have been relaxing lately with Chrome. Firefox, Opera and IE are making huge step forward, at every version.

Still the fact that so many people use IE just makes me want to go down the street screaming "STOP USING IE!! Download Firefox or Chrome NOW!) :P

8 is being used a lot because microsoft has forced all OEM's like dell/hp to sell windows 8 on their products not 7.  Also that chart about browsers is wrong,  Chrome is winning with over 50% of the market share.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

Pages need to start coming up with a flashing warning saying "This website will not function on IE please download one of the following browsers"

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

8 is being used a lot because microsoft has forced all OEM's like dell/hp to sell windows 8 on their products not 7.  Also that chart about browsers is wrong,  Chrome is winning with over 50% of the market share.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Some of us quite like Win 8 :P such as myself

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

... how is any of this news?? sorry but its been this way for decades

Although, I'd love to see the figures for Linux for 5 years ago. I would love to see by how much has it increased

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

The chart is from Net Market Share, it is correct. It depends on how you measure. They don't actually check every computer on the planet. They get data form a big list of web sites around the world, and see what web browser they use, and use that as a sample space to estimate the global usage. So. it's normal that you see variation like that.

... how is any of this news?? sorry but its been this way for decades

Windows 8 didn't exists a decade ago :), which is the focus of this post.

Still the fact that so many people use IE just makes me want to go down the street screaming "STOP USING IE!! Download Firefox or Chrome NOW!) :P

So many people use it because they find nothing wrong with it. While Chrome is better, there is nothing wrong with Internet Explorer. Everyone but me in my family uses IE. (well i made my granpa switch to Chrome to enable adblock b/c he would get malware by clicking on popups and ads that come from Times of India)

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Some of us quite like Win 8 :P such as myself

I use it too!  but that graph is wrong about IE

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

I use it too!  but that graph is wrong about IE

you'd be suprised, very suprised >_> I'm forced to use it at school

Hard to believe when your in a college environment every day. I've had classes in which I am the only windows user.

Hard to believe when your in a college environment every day. I've had classes in which I am the only windows user.

the other way here.

Also, WinXP w/ Internet Explorer w/ ActiveX... ahh brings me back to those days

IE really isn't that bad especially IE10 and IE9.

Before that, IE was shit.

*From a web developer's perspective*

7.44% OSX (any version)

7.41% Windows 8

More people are using OSX than Win 8. You could also attribute the Google Chrome share slipping due to the Snowden NSA leaks as Google is clearly partnered with the NSA and with the fact that "Google Chrome" is closed source you can't be 100% sure what it is doing.

7.44% OSX (any version)

7.41% Windows 8

More people are using OSX than Win 8. You could also attribute the Google Chrome share slipping due to the Snowden NSA leaks as Google is clearly partnered with the NSA and with the fact that "Google Chrome" is closed source you can't be 100% sure what it is doing.

That partnered in with the fact that Firefox is just plain faster this generation of browsers :P

More people use Vista then OSX 10?

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

The OS chart I can definitely understand, even the fact that Vista is at 4.1%: those are pretty much all people who bought computers at the time and never upgraded. As for Windows 8, most people only have windows 8 because it came with their new notebook and there are a few who actually chose to upgrade to it because it's not nearly as bad as people say it is.

The browser graph doesn't make much sense to me though. I mean about a year ago Chrome had overtaken IE's share, how did IE suddenly gain so much and chrome loose enough to fall below Firefox? Everywhere I look everyone is running Chrome, nothing against FF but it's impossible that Firefox is more popular than chrome which is advertised across Google's services as well as android, the most popular smartphone OS and is recommended by everyone who knows how to use a computer.

Good to hear about Windows 8. I think it's a great OS once you learn how to use it

windows vista outnumber OS X 10.8 and google chrome is in a decline O_O what on earth this cant be right....

chrome has been extremely buggy for me these last few months so i've had to use firefox instead.

the decline is not surprising me

1- Vista is actually not a bad OS, especially after SP1. You just needed the computation power to run it. If you install Vista right now, you'll see it's not as bad as people made it sound like. The big problem was that OEMs was pushing Vista on computers that didn't meet Vista recommended system specs, or/and using legacy technologies which Vista didn't like, as it drop support for them in favor of new, MUCH MUCH needed security increase (which was not possible before due to the technology it supported could not be adapted), and new technologies.

To enjoy Vista you needed:

-> 2GB+ of RAM (addressable).

-> Vista 64-bit.

-> TRUE Dual Core 64-bit CPU at 2GHz or faster.

-> 256MB+ equipped dedicated GPU.

-> Pixel Shader 2.0 compatible graphic card.

-> Full DirectX 9 compatible graphic card (so no S3, or VIA, crappy graphic chip, basically, was everywhere at the time by OEMs. They are crappier then Intel integrated graphic solution by a long shot, if that's believable. They even had trouble playing DVD movies under XP.)

-> System using the latest technologies everywhere.

-> HDD that support NCQ, on SATA

While this is like "Well any computer can do this, and well over that" today, back then, it was a a nice well build Gaming PC. Mix with the fact that OEMs were too busy emptying their stock of old crap, and maximizing profits, instead of actually doing a system right for the right price, and simply go: "Well that's the price, that's the price".

When i was working at PC world and vista came out, they gave us a single core compaq with 512mb ram, to learn it on (not that I needed it), it was the biggest pile of shit of a PC i have ever had to use in my life. 

They where selling this crap too.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----