Best Linux Distro for Hacking/Programming

Liikeaturtle

Wanna do some C coding/hacking on a Unix system, not sure which distro to use.

Try Arch Linux 
https://www.archlinux.org/

It's lightweight, simple, and instead of stripping down what you don't need, you have the flexibility of building it yourself.

This OS is not for beginners.

If you aren't familiar with the Linux command line, use Ubuntu
http://www.ubuntu.com/

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Pretty much all of them.

Arch is a good option to get your hands dirty, Gentoo allows you to roll in the mud (almost everything is DIY - but there's extensive documentation to help you through).

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

What exactly do you mean by Hacking? :huh:

Regardless, if you are new to Linux, I'd suggest either Linux Mint or Ubuntu. Both are good ways to get your feet wet.

Once you know what you're doing, Arch Linux is a good choice.

Try Arch Linux 

https://www.archlinux.org/

It's lightweight, simple, and instead of stripping down what you don't need, you have the flexibility of building it yourself.

This OS is not for beginners.

If you aren't familiar with the Linux command line, use Ubuntu

http://www.ubuntu.com/

What exactly do you mean by Hacking? :huh:

Regardless, if you are new to Linux, I'd suggest either Linux Mint or Ubuntu. Both are good ways to get your feet wet.

Once you know what you're doing, Arch Linux is a good choice.

I agree, this is how my experience went. Windows has moved away from the comand line over the years and for me Ubuntu was very good at letting me into the terminal slowly. After I felt comfortable and wanted something even more lightweight then I enjoyed Arch very much, I just haven't stuck with it because when something breaks it was more involved to fix for me or in the off chance I needed/wanted a re-install there was more downtime until I got everything perfect again.

I still haven't got brave enough for Gentoo or LFS (Linux from scratch).

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

• 6 months later...

Have a look at backtrack 5 http://www.backtrack-linux.org/

Learn it as you go

This. This 100x. Backtrack is one of the most powerful OS's I have ever seen for penetration testing and network security (hacking) and is pretty simple to setup.

I might be wrong.

...if you're asking this, you're probably not going to hack anything, and you won't code anything that the oldest and least loved IDE for windows won't be enough for

so... i'd say that when you will be ready to do cool stuff, you will be able to answer this topic's question as well

but yeah, backtrack feels hardcore, with the badass dark theme and all the preinstalled programs with badass hacky names

• 3 weeks later...

If your new I would suggest Blackbuntu (a pentesting version of Ubuntu) or Katana. They are much simpler than Backtrack/Kali for beginners, at least from my experience.

"Do not pray for and easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."

"A place where everything and nothing exists, this is my playground."

Backtrack is definitively your best choice, you will find this poroject as Kali Linux, which is basically the same

Mobo: Asus Maximus Impact VI Processor: Intel 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.22Vlts Memory: 2x8 GB DDR3 1866Mhz GSkill Sniper

VGA: Sapphire HD 7970 3GB OC Audio: Asus Impact Supreme FX SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB HDD: WD Black 500GB

Power Supply: Coolermaster V650 Semi Modular Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i

Have a look at backtrack 5 http://www.backtrack-linux.org/

Learn it as you go

^This

It is mostly used for Network Penetration

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

• 8 months later...
CYBORG HAWK LINUX 

CYBORG HAWK v 1.0 - WORLD'S MOST ADVANCED, POWERFUL AND BEAUTIFUL PENETRATION TESTING DISTRO EVER

The Next Generation Penetration Testing Distro.

accessibility.png

The most advanced, powerful and yet beautiful penetration testing distribution ever created.Lined up with ultimate collection of tools for pro Ethical Hackers and Cyber Security Experts.

Simplify security in your IT infrastructure with Cyborg. Its real strength comes from the understanding that a tester requires a strong and efficient system,that benefits from a strong selection of tools, integrated with a stable linux environment.

It has 700 + tools while other penetration distro have 300+ and also dedicated tools for and menu for mobile security and malware analysis . Also it is easy to compare it with others as to make a better OS than others ,we have to outperform them.

tools.png

Distro Features:-

*Exploitation Toolkit:- Toolkit to test the integrity of your IT Infrastructure.Best exploit of for best results

*Reverse Engineering:- Reversing the core code for the analysis by going backwards through the development cycle

*Forensics:- Uncover the Digital evidence. Investigate them and interpreting electronic data for use in a court of law.

*Stress Testing:- Determine the amount of stress your computer, network, program or device can bear.

*Mobile Security:- Penetrate the mobile security and fix the vulnerabilities of it . Mobile Security covers every known platform for smartphones.

*Wireless Security:- Secure your wireless world. Cyborg have top level tools to test your security.

terminal.png

DEVELOPED BY :- TEAM CYBORG LEADED BY VAIBHAV SINGH AND SHAHNAWAZ ALAM FROM ZTRELA KNOWLEDGE SOLUTIONS PVT. LTD

Ztrela website:- www.ztrela.com
Cyborg website:- cyborg.ztrela.com

I like Ubuntu. Linux From Scratch used to be a really incredible distro back in the 32-bit days, but multilib (e.g., having both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries) made it a real pain in the ass to do once 64-bit CPUs came out.

There is no perfect os for programming/hacking, its all personal preference. just like there is no best shoe for running, it's all about what you like and how you are going to use it.