FXAA vs TXAA vs SSAA vs MSAA vs MLAA vs CSAA vs QCSAA = WTFAA?

Assassin
Go to solution Solved by Joshua,

They're all different types of Anti-Aliasing. 

FXAA - Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing

TXAA - Temporal Anti-Aliasing

SSAA - Super-Sampling Anti-Aliasing

MSAA - Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing

CSAA - Coverage Sample Anti-Aliasing
QCSAA - Don't know what it stands for

MSAA is basic, isn't specially optimised or anything, but it gets the job done. 

CSAA is basically MSAA but better, without doing a number on your GPU, it Nvidia only and preferred over MSAA.

QCSAA is better than these two, but does hit your GPU a little harder.

TXAA is along the same lines as PhysX, in that it is Nvidia exclusive and only works on games that support it, again a lot better than MSAA and CSAA but will hit your GPU hard.

MLAA is better than MSAA, as it also effects colour reproduction and blends corners and edges better.

The rest, I'm not so sure.

EDIT: FXAA is the worst of them all. It is outdated.

So what is the difference? 
I know that they are different levels of AA. And TXAA is nvidia's "special" AA. What is the difference between all these AA?

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Essentially nothing

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

CSAA is basically MSAA but better, without doing a number on your GPU, it Nvidia only and preferred over MSAA.

TXAA is along the same lines as PhysX, in that it is Nvidia exclusive and only works on games that support it, again a lot better than MSAA and CSAA but will hit your GPU hard.

MLAA is better than MSAA, as it also effects colour reproduction and blends corners and edges better.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

I can use fxaa on my card and its AMD

FXAA does support AMD now, TXAA on the other hand, is still propeitary with Nvidia

If you borrow his brain, you're like "Dude, can't handle it!".

Winning!

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

If you borrow his brain, you're like "Dude, can't handle it!".

Winning!

I was banging 7 gram rocks, that's how I roll!

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

I was banging 7 gram rocks, that's how I roll!

Winning!

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

_assassin_ vs assassin

fight!

)

this is getting old.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

I like the wtfAA. Its great when you dunno which to pick.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

when you understand (From a games design perspective) the mechanics behind the different types of AA, u will realise how much more WTF they are.

FXAA is by far the most simple to understand though

Character artist in the Games industry.

Linus made a video about it but it doesn't explain most of the AA that you mentioned lol: 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I like the wtfAA. Its great when you dunno which to pick.

"JustGiveMeTheBestOneIDon'tCareWhichAA"

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

@Assassin

@_assassin_

Little puns/jokes about you having similar names will  probably happen again (you know, because your names are the same).  But I am sorry for angering either of you.

@Assassin

@_assassin_

Little puns/jokes about you having similar names will  probably happen again (you know, because your names are the same).  But I am sorry for angering either of you.

I was just messing, I wouldn't feel actual resent over a comment.. ya know, because it's the internet

= WTFAA?

Ive seen this setting in left 4 dead 2 before!

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Curious to know too. Too much WTFAA.

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB