7 Gamers, 1 CPU - Ultimate Virtualized Gaming Build Log

LinusTech

So are we just going to pretend that the Nano card was the perfect choice for this build because of its physical characteristics or are we going to hear about the limitations of this card as well? 

Power wise it was either the 980 or the nano.

Roughly 10-20% faster at the resolutions they'll be running.

Easier to get single slot I/O.

Short enough to not be ridiculously difficult to remove.

TLDR: No real reason to go green team on this one.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I completely disagree with pretty well everything you just typed (as far as unRAID being "easier" to use than ESXi).

Yes, unRAID has the ability to use nVidia cards, via a workaround (that was admitted to be 'spotty' in the 2 gamers 1 tower video), but "easier" to configure otherwise, I completely disagree.

It's easier for Linus because he's got contacts with LimeTech who will help him configure it, (AFAIK) he doesn't have contacts with VMware to help set it up.

This would be an awesome addition to the LTT Folding team!!!......just sayin'.

The computer isn't the "Thing".....the computer is the "Thing" that gets you to the "Thing".  - excerpt from "Halt and Catch Fire".

Power wise it was either the 980 or the nano.

Roughly 10-20% faster at the resolutions they'll be running.

Easier to get single slot I/O.

Short enough to not be ridiculously difficult to remove.

TLDR: No real reason to go green team on this one.

You're missing the point and going back to the physical, power, and performance characteristics of the specific card, while assuming functionality is equivalent.  What I'm saying is that newer AMD cards often have problems with reset, which become a significant functionality limitation in a GPU assignment configuration.  Working well with GPU assignment should have been the first consideration, followed by power, size, performance, etc.

Umm Linus you could have gotten the Super Flower 2000W PSU. EVGA PSUs are rebranded Super Flower ones.

http://www.super-flower.com.tw/products_detail.php?class=2&sn=16&ID=119〈=en

Current "Rig": AMD FX-6200, AMD Radeon HD 7570, 240GB Crucial BX200, 1TB Seagate Barracuda OEM Drive, HP Micro-ATX case (from trash heap haha), Windows 7 Home Premium, Gigabyte Angelica2 AM3+ motherboard.

Add me on steam! ExplosiveNight. (I play CS:GO, GMod, and Terraria.)

Follow me on twitter! (https://twitter.com/blake100783)

Why Linus did not use Nvidia graphic card?

you should have watched the video........... anyways, too much nvidia stuff in everything. time for something different.

is this what Linus was doing while his sidekick was doing the WAN show Friday night?........... would have been better doing the videos separately ( or not in the "same room ") so we could have heard the "play by play" as the machine was being put together. This assembly was more important and more informative to me than any WAN show and more infromation ( and video ) put before the viewer would have been great. This was a once in a lifetime oportunity and you blew it.

you spent more time dragging out that last 3way build off.

r9 Nano's with G-Sync monitors ohhh linus..

Case: Carbide 300R

CPU: i5 4690K @ 3.90GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3

Mobo: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming

GPU: R9 290 Tri-X

PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA NEX650G

Storage: 4TB NAS

Drive 1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM

Drive 2: WD 500gb 7200RPM

Keyboard: Vengeance K50

Headset: Vengeance 1500 V2

Mouse: R.A.T 5

Monitor: LG 24EN33

What was used to do the virtualization part? HyperV? Citrix?

Is that an driver limit or an hardware limit?

i think the problem is directx (11). so an API limit. not completely certain though 

We've now got three different subjects going on, an Asian fox and motorbike fetish, two guys talking about Norway invasions and then some other people talking about body building... This thread is turning into a free for all fetish infested Norwegian circle jerk.

Holy hell, in the video you mentioned that there are a myriad of issues when you built this system, do you by chance kept a diary/log of all the issues and such? I would be interested in the ultimate behind the scenes of building this monster.

I doubt it's the hypervisor doing that over a service (dhcpd, something else?) doing so...

You dont even need the router, the hyperviser can supply a dhcp

To everyone mentioning the 7 gamers 1 cpu thing, it probably was a joke on the fact that so many people call pc's cpu's, the very start of the video already shows it as 7 gamers 1 tower.

As for the project itself, this thing is insane and awesome, well done.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

unRAID uses KVM and VFIO for GPU assignment

"it's impractical...but if nothing else, it proves we have the technology."  This thing is sweet!

Definitely would be cool to see another video with more details on the issues that were had in setting this up.   Though like Linus pointed out...it's incredibly impractical and costs as much (and way more in many cases) as a brand new car.  So none of us really could do anything like this realistically.  But it would still be fun to watch.

3 comments:

-I could have told him that 1 D5 pump wasn't going to be able to drive that many blocks.

-Also, it's not impossible to modify a dual slot GPU to be single slot.  I did it with a cheapie card desoldering the DVI connector (with a vacuum desoldering pump).  That' would have been a lot moar hardcoar, but it's timeconsuming as fuck.  Ideally you would only have to desolder HDMI or DP or something with less pins than DVI.

-Why wouldn't he just go dual PSU if needed?  When I built my system, I planed ahead to make sure the case could support dual PSUs should I go quad SLI.  I already use 1200W under full load with 2 cards.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Only problem with lanparty on this system you can see what you're friends are doing xD 

also 3 of the gamers will only get 8x pci slot i dont know if everyone got their own gpu or if all share the full workload but its not a huge issue.

The hypervisor takes care of that task.  The TL:DR version is -- the CPU cores aren't "dedicated" to each VM, and unusable anywhere else...

That is incorrect, they are dedicated to each VM.  That is how we achieve such solid performance.  We do not emulate a CPU, we pass through the host's CPU cores directly to each instance.  This means 0 emulation overhead for CPU work.  We also do not let each VM traverse across each others dedicated cores.  This is to prevent costly CPU context-switching which would deteriorate performance to the point of it being unplayable.

We do not emulate a CPU, we pass through the host's CPU cores directly to each instance.  This means 0 emulation overhead for CPU work.

That's not how it works.  Using passthrough mode on the CPU only means that the VM sees the full feature set of the CPU.  The vCPU is sill a process thread running on the host CPU.  There's still emulation, the overhead is not zero.  The physical CPUs are still usable by the host, unless isolcpus was used, which isn't specified in the video.  Pinning vCPU certainly improves a number of aspects, but let's not go overboard.

Amazing! BTW, what's that keyboard you're using near the end of the video? It looks fu**ing nice!

Maan!! Whoow!

@LinusTech I expected a really long video of this one. Especially considering that it is a $30k PC.

You could have asked Super Flower for their 2000w PSU and throw in 7 x 980 Ti in there.

7 980 Ti's wouldn't even fit in there since most of them are dual-slot cards. Even the K|NGP|N version of those cards would be extremely expensive, both in terms of price and power consumption, let alone he would have needed to go with a CaseLabs MAGNUM case and dual power supplies to even install and power up the system, plus extra radiators to properly cool the 300-watt TDP K|NGP|N cards.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

You should try this with 21 monitors. I want to see SEVEN surrond setups on one tower!

HOLY BALLS!

But, I'm not able to get to the CES 2016, so can you give me (or us) a sample on how it performs?

This is simply awesome, I am always amazed at the creativity and resourcefulness of the Linus Media Team. I like how they have begun to expand their videos beyond just simple product reviews into really cool ideas like the Two Gamer's on CPU on to even crazier ideas like this. Keep up the fantastic work and I look forward to ever crazier and better videos.  

If you quote me or are replying to me please @ me. Thanks