A Not-So-Professional Nexus 5X Review [Updated]

Guest Kloaked

Noice. Waited forever for this. Worth it.

Wait... You live in Georgia, too? Cool beans.

Also, how snappy does it feel?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Columbus area.

I don't experience any lag with my uses, contrary to what many people experience apparently. I mostly use the phone to derp around on Reddit (the Reddit Now app, specifically), browse Facebook and LTT via Chrome and just other small demanding applications. Note that I don't use the Facebook app or anything like that, since they're notorious for killing battery life and causing a high workload overall.

It eats through everything quicker than my Moto X 2013 did. I noticed load times for everything being faster by a good margin.

Also, something I forgot to mention and left out is that the phone is not able to properly drive my Sennheiser HD280s. I noticed a significant lack of punch and overall volume compared to even my Moto X 2013. I, however, do not have any complaints about the quality of the Bluetooth audio with my Jaybird Bluebud Xs.

i thought this was gonna be a rip on someone else's review :D

was pleasantly surprised

Looking for a job

i thought this was gonna be a rip on someone else's review :D

was pleasantly surprised

Ha, I didn't think about that. It was unintended to look that way.

Great review. I've been reading somewhat decent to poor battery life in most reviews but I guess it all comes down to how you use the phone in the end. I personally think there's too many compromises made for this smaller sized 'Google flagship' phone. Plastic body, only 2GB ram, usb 2.0, no OIS, no amoled display, no micro sd, mono sound recording and that poor headphone output. But I guess the 'stock' latest android experience that sells this phone in the first place anyway.

What sort of Dbrand skin did you get? 

Great review. I've been reading somewhat decent to poor battery life in most reviews but I guess it all comes down to how you use the phone in the end. I personally think there's too many compromises made for this smaller sized 'Google flagship' phone. Plastic body, only 2GB ram, usb 2.0, no OIS, no amoled display, no micro sd, mono sound recording and that poor headphone output. But I guess the 'stock' latest android experience that sells this phone in the first place anyway.

What sort of Dbrand skin did you get? 

You're completely right about the compromises. I would have gone the 6P route if it wasn't so big. The size was literally the only thing keeping me from doing that.

I'm assuming from all of that feedback, it'll change with the next revisions. Hopefully Google and LG will do the same size phone and give us a better premium phone but for around the same price. And I hope for the love of god it starts at 64 gigs. 16 gigs and even 32 gigs for this amount of money with no expandable storage is just plain stealing today.

I got a black carbon back with only the X showing on the Nexus logo, and the white carbon frame.

You're completely right about the compromises. I would have gone the 6P route if it wasn't so big. The size was literally the only thing keeping me from doing that.

I'm assuming from all of that feedback, it'll change with the next revisions. Hopefully Google and LG will do the same size phone and give us a better premium phone but for around the same price. And I hope for the love of god it starts at 64 gigs. 16 gigs and even 32 gigs for this amount of money with no expandable storage is just plain stealing today.

I got a black carbon back with only the X showing on the Nexus logo, and the white carbon frame.

Funny I also upgraded from a 4.7" phone but went straight to 5.7" for better productivity but that 6P imo is just too stupidly big for a 5.7".Seriously Huawei. Also LG should have provided usb type a to type c cable instead. Is the cable provided even data transfer capable?

I agree 64gb should be the min standard if the phone doesn't have expandable storage. But then I still prefer a phone with expandable storage anytime. Bought myself a Sandisk Ultra 64gb class 10 micro sd for only £10 last week. Memory card is not even that expensive nowadays. I have plenty of spare unused micro sd I bought just because it was selling for cheap.LOL

Since the 5X has plastic body, LG should have just made the back cover replaceable and maybe get third party case manufacturer like what Mozo doing leather cases for Lumia 950/XL. That would make it like 100% more premium looking 

Funny I also upgraded from a 4.7" phone but went straight to 5.7" for better productivity but that 6P imo is just too stupidly big for a 5.7".Seriously Huawei. Also LG should have provided usb type a to type c cable instead. Is the cable provided even data transfer capable?

I agree 64gb should be the min standard if the phone doesn't have expandable storage. But then I still prefer a phone with expandable storage anytime. Bought myself a Sandisk Ultra 64gb class 10 micro sd for only £10 last week. Memory card is not even that expensive nowadays. I have plenty of spare unused micro sd I bought just because it was selling for cheap.LOL

Since the 5X has plastic body, LG should have just made the back cover replaceable and maybe get third party case manufacturer like what Mozo doing leather cases for Lumia 950/XL. That would make it like 100% more premium looking 

IIRC the back cover of the 5X is easily replaceable. It has a high score on iFixit, which is another thing in favor of the phone. The 6P got an extremely low score.

The only thing they included interface-wise was the wall adapter and the single USB C cable. I think it's a fully featured USB C cable though, so yes it would transfer data if you had the adapter for one end to fit a USB A port.

It doesn't bother me much, personally, as I end up uploading everything to Drive instead of plugging my phone into my PC anyways just so I have a backup as well.

• 1 month later...

happy birthhday

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GBStorage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GBGPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video CardCase: Corsair SPEC-01 REDPower Supply: EVGA 600BNetworking Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" MonitorKeyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (Cherry MX Blue) Mouse: Logitech G100s | Quote me and say "Dope Flamingo" if you actually read this. 

• 1 month later...

Updated.