Sennheiser HD 518 vs HD 558 and Sound Card?

Trail Mixorz

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones, because I've had crappy Turtle Beaches that recently broke. I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 518 and 558 and they both look pretty good. The 558 is more expensive so I was wondering what the difference between the two were. I play fps games and I'm always listening to music, and write/record my own. I've heard the 518s had more bass presence, but the 558s had better mid ranges. Also, do I need a sound card for these headphones? Will there be a significant difference in sound quality? If I need one, I'll probably get an Asus Xonar, because I've heard by everyone that it's really good. Thanks!

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

The main difference is exactly what you said, 518 has more bass than the 558 but that doesn't mean it is bassy. You should definately pair your choice with a Xonar soundcard, its a must. However, I would suggest taking a look at some more headphones around that price range like:

Beyerdynamic DT990

Audio Technica AD700

Shure SRH440

Hope it helped!

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

You should definately pair your choice with a Xonar soundcard

I'd think his onboard (especially if it's newer) is enough for ~50 Ohm headphones unless he wants it ear-splitting loud or something.  I'd definitely skip the Xonar cards based around the fact it's not a major increase in sound quality for what you'll spend (even at $30), it's just louder.  The drivers are also a hassle.  Not to mention the high output impedance will probably EQ the bass on either of those headphones.  If you REALLY need more volume, a FiiO E10 should be plenty for either of those.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

The main difference is exactly what you said, 518 has more bass than the 558 but that doesn't mean it is bassy. You should definately pair your choice with a Xonar soundcard, its a must. However, I would suggest taking a look at some more headphones around that price range like:

Beyerdynamic DT990

Audio Technica AD700

Shure SRH440

Hope it helped!

A sound card definitely is not a must...

So should I get a sound card or not?? I'm not rich here lol I don't wanna buy something I don't need

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

So should I get a sound card or not?? I'm not rich here lol I don't wanna buy something I don't need

For those headphones, you don't need one.  You can get one if you really want, though.  It's your money.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I'd think his onboard (especially if it's newer) is enough for ~50 Ohm headphones unless he wants it ear-splitting loud or something.  I'd definitely skip the Xonar cards based around the fact it's not a major increase in sound quality for what you'll spend (even at $30), it's just louder.  The drivers are also a hassle.  Not to mention the high output impedance will probably EQ the bass on either of those headphones.  If you REALLY need more volume, a FiiO E10 should be plenty for either of those.

The FiiO E10 costs now 62$ on amazon but it is on sale(23% off). I was thinking about a Xonar DG/DGX nothing more which they cost around 30-40$ maximum. 

A sound card definitely is not a must...

Okay, maybe I exaggerated a little by saying it is a must but low impedance headphones like the Sennheisers, the Shure SRH 440 and the AD 700 which they are around 50-60 Ω are easily driven to higher dBs when you have a desktop soundcard. So if you can easily drive your headphones to the volume you like there is less distortion. 

Sorry if I confused anyone, but imo if you can find a soundcard that good around 30$, it is almost a must if you are going to spend 100$-150$ just on a pair of headphones.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

The FiiO E10 costs now 62$ on amazon but it is on sale(23% off). I was thinking about a Xonar DG/DGX nothing more which they cost around 30-40$ maximum. 

Okay, maybe I exaggerated a little by saying it is a must but low impedance headphones like the Sennheisers, the Shure SRH 440 and the AD 700 which they are around 50-60 Ω are easily driven to higher dBs when you have a desktop soundcard. So if you can easily drive your headphones to the volume you like there is less distortion. 

Sorry if I confused anyone, but imo if you can find a soundcard that good around 30$, it is almost a must if you are going to spend 100$-150$ just on a pair of headphones.

They are also easily driven by on board sound since there is no real difference between on board sound and a low end "sound card". All you are going to do with a cheap low end sound card is make a bad source louder and bring out all of the crappy qualities.

You can't find a good sound card at $30, and stop calling it a must. It's not.

So what do sound cards do? Other than just making it louder without distortion.

So what do sound cards do? Other than just making it louder without distortion.

convert digital signals to analog signals and then what you said.  That's it.  Your headphones are where most of the distortion occurs, unless the amplifier on your soundcard is a poor match for your headphones.  It usually is if it has a 10 Ohm output impedance.  So if you'd rather listen to your headphones and not your amp, get one with a low output impedance.  Which leaves out pretty much every soundcard.  Except Realtek's newer onboard chipsets.

convert digital signals to analog signals and then what you said. That's it. Your headphones are where most of the distortion occurs, unless the amplifier on your soundcard is a poor match for your headphones. It usually is if it has a 10 Ohm output impedance. So if you'd rather listen to your headphones and not your amp, get one with a low output impedance. Which leaves out pretty much every soundcard. Except Realtek's newer onboard chipsets.

So if that's it, what's the hype about sound cards? I feel like everyone wants one and some "need" one so I just don't really get it

So if that's it, what's the hype about sound cards? I feel like everyone wants one and some "need" one so I just don't really get it

People are un-educated about them, and they market them towards you to make you feel like you need one.

Sound cards are bit like petrol, socks, credit cards and insurance. It is all the same product where the law of diminishing returns kicks in very early.  So in order to up sales they market them as being better than anything else (even though they are almost identical), they include other features to make the product more attractive and they'll tell you anything you want to hear to make a sale (like the positional audio crap they spout for games).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On board used to be pretty crappy, and people have yet to make the adjustment - especially with marketing agreeing with past truths.