6700k bending - What implications does it have on cooler choice?

KingRadical

I've already ordered a Skylake 6700k, and then before it gets delivered I find out about the bending issue. I was planning to get a Cooler Master Hyper 212X for budget reasons but if that would add to the risk then I'd rather wait and get the H100i GTX. I know there's been no official word from intel yet, and I've read that the issue has to do with mounting pressure and not weight, but I'm still nervous so I'm wondering if you guys could offer any advice. I don't really have the money for a water cooler (everything is super expensive in Australia), but I definitely don't have the money to replace a bent CPU. 

Nothing. It won't affect you even if you stuck a big ass heatsink on there.

i wonder about my be quiet dark rock 3 since i got cooler on my current CPU (that is i5 2400 lol) and after reading some posts here and there there were no word about this company. ;/

CPU i5 6600k 4,4Ghz , COOLER Dark Rock 3 from BQ, RAM 16 GB of ddr 4 2800MHz from corsair,

PSU EVGA 750 W GOLD G2, MOBO Msi z170A Gaming M3, CASE NZXT H440 Black/Blue,

GPU Geforce GTX 980 Gigabyte G1 Gaming,

STORAGE 1 SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB and 1 HDD 500GB WD, Windows 8.1.

It won't affect your choices.

BUT. Do be sure to not overtighten your cooler.

Also, it only appears to be focussed around pre-built systems, where damage occurs during shipping.

You should be a-OK.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Do be sure to not overtighten your cooler.

Just don't over tighten the cooler.

This goes for every system.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Just don't over tighten the cooler... The only issues they've seen is with pre-built systems. I haven't heard any cases about custom built systems...

prebuilts are often assembled with powertools, that make this a very real issue, even outside of skylake.

on top of that you should NEVER ship a tower cooler without added support.

>,>

pre-built system shipped with coolers that where not supported for shipping and everyone cries that its intels fault.......

CPU     4790K  4.7GHz @ 1.17 volts

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

Thank you all for the speedy replies! That's a relief. But all the talk about shipping and transporting raises another question, will it be an increased risk every time I move my PC? I drive my current rig back and forth from my friend's house often and was planning to do the same with my new build, should I instead avoid moving it at all once it's assembled?

Thank you all for the speedy replies! That's a relief. But all the talk about shipping and transporting raises another question, will it be an increased risk every time I move my PC? I drive my current rig back and forth from my friend's house often and was planning to do the same with my new build, should I instead avoid moving it at all once it's assembled?

Don't tighten the cooler down with a power drill and you're good.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

If you tether your system down properly and package it in such a way that it avoids any potential damage, then you should be golden.

You can always take the precaution of unfastening the block from the CPU before moving it around, though it is somewhat impractical.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

i wonder about my be quiet dark rock 3 since i got cooler on my current CPU (that is i5 2400 lol) and after reading some posts here and there there were no word about this company. ;/

I have a Dark Rock Pro 3, and an i7-6700k, I've tightened the screws just enough to hold the cooler in place, but not bend the whole thing... or at least i thought i did it. My CPU is bent, even tho I've never actually moved my system, or touched inside the case since I put everything together back in late september, and voila! I've found out yesterday, that the problem affects me too, but the case is not as bad as others. Here's a screen of it: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xta1/v/t34.0-12/12248840_1007352822643969_887359022_n.jpg?oh=899429cc6d1f940166128a38b83ee23c&oe=5669E45B&__gda__=1449708903_2d703249284967b4dd6e7a1ce51b5acd

I have a Dark Rock Pro 3, and an i7-6700k, I've tightened the screws just enough to hold the cooler in place, but not bend the whole thing... or at least i thought i did it. My CPU is bent, even tho I've never actually moved my system, or touched inside the case since I put everything together back in late september, and voila! I've found out yesterday, that the problem affects me too, but the case is not as bad as others. Here's a screen of it: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xta1/v/t34.0-12/12248840_1007352822643969_887359022_n.jpg?oh=899429cc6d1f940166128a38b83ee23c&oe=5669E45B&__gda__=1449708903_2d703249284967b4dd6e7a1ce51b5acd

Dark rock 3 and dark pro 3 are 2 diffrent things and if i am not mistaken dark rock pro 3 is bigger and has a little more weight (due to massive heatsink and second fan on it ) so maybe i will get better luck Lol

CPU i5 6600k 4,4Ghz , COOLER Dark Rock 3 from BQ, RAM 16 GB of ddr 4 2800MHz from corsair,

PSU EVGA 750 W GOLD G2, MOBO Msi z170A Gaming M3, CASE NZXT H440 Black/Blue,

GPU Geforce GTX 980 Gigabyte G1 Gaming,

STORAGE 1 SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB and 1 HDD 500GB WD, Windows 8.1.

I'm just saying, that it could happen. The Dark Rock 3 is 976 gramms while the Dark Rock Pro 3 is 1197g, so the 2 almost identical, therefore if this could happen with the pro version, I'm pretty sure it could happen to the non-pro version as well, but your i5 2400 is probably save from this, as far as I know it's a Skylake related issue only...  :(

Did you check it because you had problems or just from curiosity and it still works fine ? 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Well, my CPU was locked at 800Mhz so I've tried everything, but cannot fix the problem, so I picked the PC apart, to check if my skylake bent too, and if so, that is what really causing the error. The answer was yes for the bending, and no for the problem overall, luckily, My MSI motherboard got a slow-mode switch on it which is locking the voltage of the cpu at 0.800V and the ratio at 8 x 100Mhz, and that switch got a contact error, so both the normal and the slow mode standing of the switch locked the CPU at 8 (x100MHz) ratio, 0.800V. The CPU bending was minimal (but still existing ), and it still worked in an other PC. The worse part is, that the CPU pins on the board bent with the CPU itself, so I do hope that MSI will still fix/change the MOBO.  :(

-snip-

Hopefully they do. :) I'm planning a skylake build because my system is pretty old now and though that I could might as well go with the newest, but now I'm little worried.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I want to go for skylake i5 6600k with cryorig r1 ultimate/noctua nh d15 also concerned about this issue.. After reading only skylake comment 6700 im really backing off i may go for devil's canyon or get h7/212 evo with skylake just to be safe

A Shadowrock TOPFLOW from be quite! will be my optimal choice for cooling, since it's looking good (imo), got a somewhat good performance for the pricetag, and I'm pretty sure, it won't bent the motherboard or the CPU furthermore, since it's almost 800gramms easier, ordered it today, hopefully it will come together with a fixed MOBO! :D

Or if you guys have any good suggestions, on an air cooler which is around 700 gramms and looks good in a black-red themed build, I would be more than happy to see it! :)