One In 10 Five-Year-Olds Has A Mobile Phone

ETRJ

I love the argument "Its just the new technology and a new generation"

Load of BS. IMO access to social media should be allowed based on maturity

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

I got my first phone when I was 12. And it was nothing special. All I really use it for now is Internet and a Camera. If I could get rid of my texting and calling I would.

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

I got my first phone when I was 12. And it was nothing special. All I really use it for now is Internet and a Camera. If I could get rid of my texting and calling I would.

That's when I got my first phone too (motorola v3) and I would get rid of my phone (nokia 6228) if I wouldn't have to talk to my parents.

TV , Video Games , Cellphones are stuff a child should not have. Mass media is promoting stupidity people just don't realize it .

I only have a mobile phone so my parent have a way of contacting me while i'm not in the house and I have a way to contact them.

I don't even pay to use the phone I use a £15 one time charge service which gives me loads of free minutes, texts and data which refreshes every month for free.  Its not even a smartphone, its one of the old samsung flip phones that I've had for years.

I've never had to pay anything but the one time £15 charge for over year.

No friends get my mobile number, if they want to talk to me, talk in person.  I dont want to be friends with a screen.

I dont have twitter, facebook or any social media stuff, its a waste of time and shouldn't even exist.

Smartphones disgust me, they have little purpose other than creating a barrier between people and promoting social media....

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I only have a mobile phone so my parent have a way of contacting me while i'm not in the house and I have a way to contact them.

Its not even a smartphone, its one of the old samsung flip phones.

Smartphones disgust me, they have little purpose.

I like smartphones because of the touchscreen and the high res camera . Everything else is BS . The guy who invented internet on phones should've been shot . You practicly can't talk to people anymore , cause they're either on fb or watching a video on youtube.

Plus texting on phones is simply stupid . Why do people text ffs ... are they too shy to talk ? 

I envy them because I got my first phone a year and a half ago. Anybody that young has absolutely NO need for any kind of phone though. 

COMIC SANS

I envy them because I got my first phone a year and a half ago. Anybody that young has absolutely NO need for any kind of phone though. 

I beg to differ I got my first phone in Grade 5 so I was 10. It was a line of communication for me and my mother because I went to school half way across the city. She worked later than when I would get home from school. It was a way to keep in touch if anything went wrong or if one of use was going to be late.

Now that was 10 years ago and it was only used for that. No one else had a phone so it wasn't for phone up or texting friends.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Main PC: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/FNsFVY

Secondary PC: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/7sv7xY

Former Intel Response Squad Member, May Class.

Member of the LTT Forums since January 3rd, 2013.

I've made it my goal not to give or allow my daughter to have a cellphone until she can afford one on her own.  I don't see any point to young ones who are still in school to have one.  I don't want to have to put up with a surprise bill with all the texting or data she can possibly do.  Also... nevermind at the age of five... elementary age, who are they going to talk or text to?  The same people they see in school???  If I survived my school years all the way up to college without a cellphone, she can do the same.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

I think what matters is what TYPE of phone it is. I think every kid should have a $20 prepaid phone from walmart but that's just for safety reasons. But when I see 3rd graders with iphones I just smh

FX 6300 - MSI 7870 Ghz - M5A97 R2.0 - Team Vulcan 8GB - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - Rosewill HIVE 550w - NZXT Source 210 (white) - Loud Fans

Peripherals - Logitech G105 - Cobra mouse - Acer G236HL - Logitech desktop mic - Logitech LS21 - Audio Technica ATH-M30

Laptop - Acer Aspire V3 - A84500m - 7670m - 15.6" screen (1366x768) - 3.5GB DDR3  - 500GB Scorpio Blue

I think what matters is what TYPE of phone it is. I think every kid should have a $20 prepaid phone from walmart but that's just for safety reasons. But when I see 3rd graders with iphones I just smh

Yeh this is fair enough, pretty much everyone should have a simple phone for contact reasons when you are young (so your parents can contact you)

But when you see them with the expensive smartphones, its just wtf?

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I beg to differ I got my first phone in Grade 5 so I was 10.

When you're 10 I can kinda see the use, but the people that this article is talking about are 5 years old, not 10. 

COMIC SANS

Yeh this is fair enough, pretty much everyone should have a simple phone for contact reasons when you are young (so your parents can contact you)

But when you see them with the expensive smartphones, its just wtf?

I get the point of having a handy point of contact for parents to check up on your kids or for emergency but...

Here's a dilemma that I've seen with my cousins growing up: not a single one of them would answer their phone when their parents would call.  Most of them just saw it as a nuisance... but hey, soon as BFF's number shows on the call display they don't even let it ring twice.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

I feel like the earliest anyone should have a phone is 16 when they start driving. Earlier in special cases. There's no need for it.

When you're 10 I can kinda see the use, but the people that this article is talking about are 5 years old, not 10. 

Ahh yes I am sorry I saw the ten and thought this was 10 year olds. I do agree. WTF is a 5 year old doing with a phone.

Do we really live in a world that you need to know 24/7 where people are and what there doing OR do the kids just complain and parents can't parent so they just buy them a phone now.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Oh wow. I thought it said 10 year olds. No 5 year old needs a phone. If you need to CALL your 5 year old to ask where he is you are doing something wrong. Seriously, just get them an ipod touch at the most.

FX 6300 - MSI 7870 Ghz - M5A97 R2.0 - Team Vulcan 8GB - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - Rosewill HIVE 550w - NZXT Source 210 (white) - Loud Fans

Peripherals - Logitech G105 - Cobra mouse - Acer G236HL - Logitech desktop mic - Logitech LS21 - Audio Technica ATH-M30

Laptop - Acer Aspire V3 - A84500m - 7670m - 15.6" screen (1366x768) - 3.5GB DDR3  - 500GB Scorpio Blue

I got my first "Emergency" phone at 13. I got my first good phone 2 weeks ago.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

I got my first "Emergency" phone at 13. I got my first real phone 2 weeks ago.

Real phone?

So you mean one that you know....phones people, which have been around for quite a long time.

Real phone?

So you mean one that you know....phones people, which have been around for quite a long time.

As in smart phone. Not a pre-paid piece of junk.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

As in smart phone. Not a pre-paid piece of junk.

So a smart phone, which has a bunch of features (which distract you from socializing)  which have nothing to do with well...you know....what phones are (to phone people), is a "real" phone?

What is a pre-paid piece of junk? I'm guessing you mean one which you pay money into say $10 for so many calls/texts etc, while a "real" phone is one you pay for with a contract monthly or w/e?

So what I have, a phone which I only have as a contact for my parents is not a real phone because its one of those old flip phones?

So a smart phone, which has a bunch of features (which distract you from socializing)  which have nothing to do with well...you know....what phones are (to phone people), is a "real" phone?

What is a pre-paid piece of junk? I'm guessing you mean one which you pay money into say $10 for so many calls/texts etc, while a "real" phone is one you pay for with a contract monthly or w/e?

Ugh. I meant a real phone as in one that could actually run apps and had a touch screen. Maybe it was an incorrect statement but I was not really trying to be correct.

I am 16 and still do not have a phone nor will for at least a few more years....So what in the world do 5 year old kids do with a phone?(maybe the call there GF/BF)

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!