H80i vs Antec Kuhler 920

Hi guys,

I currently have a 920 in my system and find the pump noise quite obnoxious and am thinking of upgrading to the H80i (or H100i if I get a new case as well). I couldn't find a noise sample of the H80i pump anywhere so wanted to get your guys' opinions on how loud the respective pumps are compared to each other. I've read that the H80i pump noise is almost inaudible - is this true?

Another thing, based on this video: http://youtu.be/0KL8Et8vk8o?t=23m28s - it shows that the noctua NF-F12 are not actually that quiet compared to some other solutions in this test and aren't the best performing either. Was this just a dodgy fan/setup or are they this loud? From this video, it looks as though the Akasa is the best balance between noise/performance. Was going to buy some new fans for said cooler and wanted the quietest ones possible as performance isn't absolutely crucial. Would love some suggestions/personal recommendations.

Thanks a lot!

Why not get a high end air cooler?

Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme

Thermalright Archon SB-E X2

Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Prolimatech Megahalems

Prolimatech Armageddon

Noctua NH-D14

Noctua NH-U14S

Noctua NH-U12S

The only noise you will hear will be fan noise and it will be less prone to failures unless you are for whatever reason constantly moving your rig around.

If you want the best quiet fans for a rad/heat sink then get Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2 fans. Those will be even quieter than the F12s while providing almost the same performance. The F12s are good but they shouldn't be used in a pull configuration, just push. Akasa fans are okay but a little loud. If I were in your shoes I would get a Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2 fan.

For low RPMs noctuas are among the best. They go down to a very low RPM and are incredibly quiet at that RPM. Scythe Gentle Typhoons are best for mid to high RPMs.

The Fans in the H80i are modified SP120s. They are modified to spin faster than the original SP120s and produce more noise when doing it.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

may i recommend an scythe mugen with custom fans on it?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Linus did a video about this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8HsjgtMzEg

An Air cooler is better than a 120 single radiator. 

what does that have to do with anything?

the video uses a 360mm radiator,and a rather thick one at that.

and Linus talks about AIO's

as tot he Noctua's noise,it could be that the noise being caught on the camera would not have been perceived by a person in the same room,there's also the differente in noise between a computer on a test bench and a computer inside of a case.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

If you want the best quiet fans for a rad/heat sink then get Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2 fans. Those will be even quieter than the F12s while providing almost the same performance. The F12s are good but they shouldn't be used in a pull configuration, just push. Akasa fans are okay but a little loud. If I were in your shoes I would get a Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2 fan.

Funnily enough I actually have 2 of those fans as intakes and they are amazingly quiet. Havent tried them as heatsink fans yet - didnt think they would perform as well on a heatsink compared to something like a noctua but maybe the difference isnt that big. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not a fan of big bulky air coolers as I don't like the aesthetics/clearance issues and weight on the motherboard so this is why I'm looking at AIOs. I'm also a student so my PC does get lugged around a fair bit when going home for christmas/summer etc. I see your point though. Can anyone who has an H80i/H100i describe the pump noise - is it audible?

Funnily enough I actually have 2 of those fans as intakes and they are amazingly quiet. Havent tried them as heatsink fans yet - didnt think they would perform as well on a heatsink compared to something like a noctua but maybe the difference isnt that big. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not a fan of big bulky air coolers as I don't like the aesthetics/clearance issues and weight on the motherboard so this is why I'm looking at AIOs. I'm also a student so my PC does get lugged around a fair bit when going home for christmas/summer etc. I see your point though. Can anyone who has an H80i/H100i describe the pump noise - is it audible?

They are great for heat sinks and radiators, just great in general for restricted places. I haven't heard of a pump noise issue for the H80i so far.