need help in my ethernet speed

We_Master

I wanted to ask why I only get transfer speeds on ym Ethernet connections at only 25mbps? coz I have 1000mbps (Ethernet nic's (network interfrance cards ) ) and I have cat5 cables but still I only get 25 mbps is that supposed to be normal?

I think your cable is broken

very broken

or its not cat 5

or your ISP's lied to you

and you need a cat6 cable

or the machine that you are testing it on is SO SLOW it cant write faster than 25 megabits per second

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Your WAN transfer speeds are likely limited by your ISP, not by the cable you are using. If they limit you to 10Mb/s, even if you have a 10Gb/s NIC in your computer, you'll still only get 10Mb/s when downloading files off the internet.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Are you using HDDs?

Is this local network transfers only or over the internet?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What is the speed of your internet connection? use something like Speedtest.net, and if it is coming up as 25mbs down / up then your problem is that you just have slow internet.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

my internet is 75up and 25down and i am talking about my NAS server it has 500 GB samsung 128 Gb SSD's and the transfer speeds are really low

i am talking about the transfer speeds on my local NAS server my internet is all good and working

do i need to upgrade to cat6? or better transfer speeds?

cat5 will only give u a 100Mbs connection, so transfer speeds of around  10-11mbs. You would need either cat 5e or cat6 for 1000Mbs connections.

PC: EVGA SR2, 2x Xeon X5690 @ 4.5, 48gb GSkill Trident @ 1810, 2x Evga gtx 980 TI Classy, 6x 850 evo 250gb RAID 0, 2x WD 4tb, Corsair 900D, Custom Loop with Cpus And mobo, 3x Asus VN279q

OTher : EVGA x58 Classified3, Xeon x5679 @ 4.2, 12gb kingston HyperX fury, 2x Evga GTX 670, Adata sp550 120gb, 2x WD 2tb, Corsair Graphite Series 230T, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asus VG236H

Cat 5e is rated for gigabit speeds over a certain length and that is assuming the cables have no kinks, faults, or wear on the insulation. If the cable is below spec in any way the speed will drop to the next level down. There may also be other problems in your setup that cause this speed drop.

Check to following:

1. Ensure your cable is in good condition and is short enough to meet the length limitations.
  2. Check to make sure your cable is cat 5e and not cat 5 (there is a difference)
  3. Check to make sure your connections are snug and secure.
  4. Check your connectors for corrosion. Removing and re-inserting the Ethernet cables several times may help remove any corrosion that has built up 
  5. Check drivers to ensure it is not an issue with outdated or broken drivers.
  6. Check that the NIC in your NAS is compatible with whatever you use as an OS for it (provided it is built custom and not pre-made)
  7. See if the processor in your NAS is powerful enough for the transfer rate of your SSDs

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).