Spray Painting whole GPU?

AllHokage
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

Awesome guide, was thinking about Plasti dipping it instead of  spray painting (no voiding warranty). Would it also work on the metal backplate? 

New to this whole plastidipping/modding scheme ^_^

Thanks, hope it was helpful, and yes you can plasti-dip the backplate, similar to the shroud removing it before doing any work on it is a good idea.

Here's a bit more detail on removing the shroud portion:

https://imgur.com/a/9JCmd

So my whole PC is color coded black/red, apart from my GPU what is a limited edition "Gold" (find it really ugly). So I was wondering can I spray paint the heat pipes/rad/logo (and anything else "gold" to black/red).

I heard people saying it will effect my temperatures, but this model has 15% better cooling then the stock msi. So my guess is it will only drop 1-2 degrees if anything.

So is it safe to do and what will be the outcomes?

GPU: MSI GTX970 Golden edition

51e.jpg

THANKS!

Might add this later...

I would not spray the heat pipes.. It is not a good idea to cover them in a coat of paint as they will become extremely hot and will effect the heat distribution. If you were to however you would need to find spray paint that is sutible at being heated to high temperatures and cooled again..

I recommend just painting the outer case of it and painting the gold bits red..

snip

Put a water block on it and make a custom loop? 

Kinda hard to spray a heatsink and maintain its thermal transfer properties. I would consider an exchange with a friend for an G1 Gaming or water cool that shit

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Put a water block on it and make a custom loop? 

Kinda hard to spray a heatsink and maintain its thermal transfer properties. I would consider an exchange with a friend for an G1 Gaming or water cool that shit

No point, as going to be build my "best" gaming pc in a couple of years and need to start saving. I'm just modding this one up, with cheap things.

Might add this later...

I would not spray the heat pipes.. It is not a good idea to cover them in a coat of paint as they will become extremely hot and will effect the heat distribution. If you were to however you would need to find spray paint that is sutible at being heated to high temperatures and cooled again..

I recommend just painting the outer case of it and painting the gold bits red..

Jay2cent or whatever said that it would effect anything (but that could of been the cpu rad)

Might add this later...

in that case just spray the cover, make sure you separate it from the heatsink/fans first

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Dont try spraying the heatsink, as it will reduce the thermal performance (how much depends on the thinness and type of paint), but the heat pipes/ shroud are fair game.

Since the fans are black, you dont have to worry about them (painting fans is usually a bad idea)

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

in that case just spray the cover, make sure you separate it from the heatsink/fans first

Guess I could get a custom back plate and get the replacement cover (original) to go on this... or would the budget be better to just spray paint it, but getting that precise will be a hard job.

Or do I just leave it (could make it even uglier) 

Times are tough  

Might add this later...

Guess I could get a custom back plate and get the replacement cover (original) to go on this... or would the budget be better to just spray paint it, but getting that precise will be a hard job.

Or do I just leave it (could make it even uglier) 

Times are tough  

Haha check my signature, I did a shit load of spray for my project, its quite easy, just gotta take your time

Ryzen Ram Guide

Haha check my signature, I did a shit load of spray for my project, its quite easy, just gotta take your time

I see aha, Might make a build log... That way people can help me on the way and stuff. 

Also what type of paint?

Might add this later...

I see aha, Might make a build log... That way people can help me on the way and stuff. 

Also what type of paint?

Here I have a guide that goes over GPU painting, as for paint though regular spray paint will work, as others have suggest it's not a good idea to spray the heatsink since it can affect temps very heavily. From what I remember a user that did this on their GPU saw idle temps raise about 10C.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407754-modding-faq-common-mods/

Here I have a guide that goes over GPU painting, as for paint though regular spray paint will work, as others have suggest it's not a good idea to spray the heatsink since it can affect temps very heavily. From what I remember a user that did this on their GPU saw idle temps raise about 10C.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407754-modding-faq-common-mods/

Awesome guide, was thinking about Plasti dipping it instead of  spray painting (no voiding warranty). Would it also work on the metal backplate? 

Might add this later...

Thanks, hope it was helpful, and yes you can plasti-dip the backplate, similar to the shroud removing it before doing any work on it is a good idea.

Easier than I thought, with the red part poping off :D 

Now It's the backplate, tracing around that dragon and fine text :/

Might add this later...

Easier than I thought, with the red part poping off :D

Now It's the backplate, tracing around that dragon and fine text :/

You can mask it off but plasti-dip is a bit tricky since you need to make cut lines along the masking before removing it, since it can peel up the surround dip being a removal coating.