Nice Peripherals or 144Hz Monitor for gaming

zXUnReliableXz

Hey guys so christmas is around the corner and I'm  having trouble deciding what I want this year. I play CSGO a lot (it's my main game). I do play like other shooters and rpgs too but I spend the bulk of my time on CSGO. now my setup is kind of bland, my pc is nice but my monitor is a 60hz 1080p panel, and my keyboard mouse and headset probably collectively cost 50 dollars. So that's where I'm gathering opinions. Should I get a nice 144hz 1ms gaming monitor or proper gaming gear like a mechanical keyboard, optical mouse, and a wireless headset. I know in csgo 144hz makes a huge difference, but this membrane keyboard I have sucks and my mouse's tracking is inconsistent at best.

Also didn't know if I should post this in monitors or peripherals so I just guessed :)

I would recommend the ASUS ROG Swift (278 not 279) for the monitor. It is pretty expensive but it has everything you want along with gsync.

As for peripherals, my knowledge there is minimal.

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

Monitor imo, you can a mouse and a keyboard at a later date. The 144hz is supposed to be great for FPS also

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

If you absolutly hate your kayboard etc. you should go for peripherals.

If you think your hardware isnt holding you back in any sense you can go for the monitor

+ Peripherals are usually cheaper than a monitor so you might have an easier time saving money for them in the next year without christmas etc.

120-144Hz (with or without G-Sync) would be nice, but I'd rather get a new mouse and keyboard.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

If you absolutly hate your kayboard etc. you should go for peripherals.

If you think your hardware isnt holding you back in any sense you can go for the monitor

+ Peripherals are usually cheaper than a monitor so you might have an easier time saving money for them in the next year without christmas etc.

good point

As a mechanical keyboard enthusiast myself, you haven't typed until you've typed on mechanical switches. Fortunately, mechanical keyboards have become more and more popular as pc gaming continues to grow, so naturally lots of people eventually want to upgrade, or try out new switches all the time. With that in mind, you can purchase second hand mechanical keyboards really cheap on reddit and eBay, saving you 20-50% on the boards. However, even if you wanted to purchase brand new, you can get something like the coolermaster Quickfire TK for less than $90 usually. 

Although, if you do decide to get the monitor for Christmas this year instead, I'd recommend the Asus VGxxxx (forgot the exact model) 144hz monitor. Three of my friends have it that I play with frequently and they love it. Now, if you do decide to go this route and have your monitor be your Christmas present, then take a look at the CM Storm Devastator KBaM combo. I wrote a review on it not too long ago here, and for the money it is a fantastic setup. It runs around $30, so maybe you can convince whoever buys your christmas presents to pick one up for you with the Asus :)

Good luck!

//ccap

If you're buying: Get the peripherals, top of the line stuff is far cheaper than a monitor.

If someone buys it for you as a present: Shoot for a monitor and pray to all the things that they won't think paying like 700$ for a monitor is too much.

Though if you're just looking for 144hz and TN, it won't matter much, monitors like that are cheap nowadays.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

Monitor for sure, thats where you notice the biggest difference. It is also the most expensive item and cant be bought at any time unlike other peripherals u mentioned.

The cheapest you should go is this monitor: http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2430T-Gaming-Monitor-Response/dp/B00M8E0K06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449026152&sr=8-1&keywords=benq+xl2430t

Here is Linus's Opinion from 2 years ago:

Cheaper ones have shitty washed out colours compared to this one. Of course there are more expensive options with G-Sync but thats too much atm imo.

If this is too expensive then I would get peripherals :k70 (non rgb), mouse is complicated choice so do your research, Hyper X cloud 2 for headset.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Go for a 144hz monitor AND a precise optical mouse. Those are the two main tools you need for CS:GO and you should save up until you can get them. Everything else comes second.

I'd say you should get a new 144Hz monitor and a good optical gaming mouse (if you manage to have enough money) :D

Spoiler

It depends on the budget:

Realistically, you could get the peripherals and a monitor at the same time if you budget correctly and do proper research. There are quite a few less expensive mice such as the G100s, Abyssus, Kinzu, IME 3.0, and WMO that aren't stupidly overpriced like some other mice (scouring eBay is a good idea). And keyboards as well like the Ducky Mini/One, KBParadise V60/V80, CMStorm Quickfire TKL, Leopold FC750/FC900, Keycool 87/104, and many more. This could save you up to ~$100 (depending on what you get) to fund your monitor.  

I would get a mouse and a monitor first. Having a higher refresh rate isn't going to make up for a trash mouse. And to be completely honest with you, while switching from rubber dome to Cherry MX (or Matias, Kailh, ALPS, or, especially, Topre if you have any decent taste in keyboard products) may be more comfortable, it's not going to give you any advantage that getting a better mouse or monitor.

If that isn't an option, you can always lower your Windows resolution for 75hz. 

G100s (1000 CPI, 500 hz) | Povohat QL mFilter (Post-Scale X/Y at 0.4) | HHKB Pro 2 | Corepad 4XL (cut in half for 60x60 cm pad)

Ye: YouTube  Twitch Steam