Short-stroking SSHD

GameWizard

Hello, i have recently bought a Seagate SSHD 2TB and i was wondering if i should short-stroke it.

is there any difference when short-stroking a SSHD than HDD?

There shouldn't be any difference. The SSHD still functions like a HDD, the only difference is that they have (usually) 8GB of SSD storage that act as a super sized cache so that if you are running a program on the disk it can offload more of the functions into the SSD portion so that you get a little faster performance.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

There shouldn't be any difference. The SSHD still functions like a HDD, the only difference is that they have (usually) 8GB of SSD storage that act as a super sized cache so that if you are running a program on the disk it can offload more of the functions into the SSD portion so that you get a little faster performance.

thank you

~snip~

Hey there GameWizard :)

Generally you should be able to proceed the same way as you would with a regular HDD. As @DevilishBooster explained the only difference would be the SSD portion that is used for caching. :)
However, you should know that short stroking probably won't have any major effect on the drive's performance. You would be cutting off a pretty large portion of the drive's capacity for a little gain in performance. Here's a topic that could be useful for you: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/491739-hdd-short-stroke-help/

Feel free to ask if you happen to have any additional questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/