CPU Running Constantly at 100% frequency

Go to solution Solved by Fulgrim,

Change the power saving settings in windows. (just bring up the start menu, type "edit power plan" then hit enter. Click "Change advanced power settings", then under "Processor power management", change the "minimum processor state" to 5%.

So today I decided to do my first overclocking on my new 6600k, went to 4.5 Ghz with 1.325 volts 

did 4 hour long stress test everything was perfect, after i stopped the stress test CPU speed went to idle ~0.6 GHz (around there)

rebooted my PC and then noticed that CPU speed wont go to idle neither the volt.

went to bios setting, set everything as default, CPU speed went back to 3.9 GHz (though it should be 3.5 Ghz) restarted PC 

volt went normal but CPU speed is still stuck at 3.9 GHz both on task manager and CPU-ID 

post-290428-0-97100400-1448994871.jpg

however CPU temperature is still normal ~29 degree Celsius 

post-290428-0-43380800-1448995097_thumb.

so my question is, is this something to worry about? (since originally it wasn't like this)

should i try to take out the C-mos battery to fix it 

is there any other way to fix it?

a little background about my PC 

CPU : i5 6600k 

CPU cooler: H110i GTX corsair 

MOBO: Z170 pro gaming 

RAM: corsair vengeance lpx 3000 MHz (xmp off running at 2133 MHz) DDR4

SSD: samsung 840 evo 

PSU: HX850i

no gpu installed yet 

Check your power settings and make sure the CPU power isn't set to minimum of 100%.

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

Change the power saving settings in windows. (just bring up the start menu, type "edit power plan" then hit enter. Click "Change advanced power settings", then under "Processor power management", change the "minimum processor state" to 5%.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

use task manager to see what task use cpu soo much

Thats not his issue.

Frequency issues, not USAGE issues.

OP - there is NO harm by resetting the bios and starting over.

If you installed Windows to a drive in AHCI mode, thats all you need to change back from the reset.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Thats not his issue.

Frequency issues, not USAGE issues.

looks like i misunderstood

looks like i misunderstood

I initially thought the same... depending what time it is where you are and how tired you may be, its an easy oversight.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

god i am so silly, 

totally forgot about it 

thanks guys,

solved my problem