In Game Settings

Ophidio

What's the best way to find the most ideal settings to use in game? Generally I just use Geforce Experience to optimize games but I feel like it diminishes quality in some parts. Would I be better off just letting the game set it's own settings based off my hardware like most games tend to do or should I just try and figure out my own setting by messing around for like an hour?

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

Trial and error

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

What's the best way to find the most ideal settings to use in game? Generally I just use Geforce Experience to optimize games but I feel like it diminishes quality in some parts. Would I be better off just letting the game set it's own settings based off my hardware like most games tend to do or should I just try and figure out my own setting by messing around for like an hour?

Figure it out :)

set it all as high as possible and reduce things you dont need, you soon get used to what settings do what

now it takes me 5 mins to get my settings done for most games

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I usually go off what nvidia recommend with the geforce experience then I change the settings accordingly to get the required FPS that I want, usually 60FPS and above constant. With a 760 I would probably start at around medium settings for most newer games and turn off AA or use a lower 2x MSAA or FXAA, some say that they prefer no AA over FXAA but that's up to you.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Keep AA at 2X, then max out everything, then lower the things which takes the most performance out of your card, for example using a 2GB VRAM card on GTA 5 and having textures at ultra will not work with a steady framerate

If the VRAM is okay, you could begin by lowering shadows (personal preference)

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

I run medium as a baseline with my 860M (750 Ti) - if 60 fps isn't achieved I lower further. if usage is bellow 80% i increase.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Keep AA at 2X, then max out everything, then lower the things which takes the most performance out of your card, for example using a 2GB VRAM card on GTA 5 and having textures at ultra will not work with a steady framerate

If the VRAM is okay, you could begin by lowering shadows (personal preference)

AO is demanding

AA is VERY demanding on both VRAM and GPU

Shadows and Shaders for me a constantly at medium

Textures are maxed (4GB of glory)

Gimpworks is off

Tress FX on (Cause it runs fine even on Nvidia ^_^)

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

AO is demanding

AA is VERY demanding on both VRAM and GPU

Shadows and Shaders for me a constantly at medium

Textures are maxed (4GB of glory)

Gimpworks is off

Tress FX on (Cause it runs fine even on Nvidia ^_^)

I always try to keep all the gimpworks settings on, because it does more than just giving me a clearer and sharper image, it adds shit like nicer looking destruction, nice water physics, and best of all, hair simulations (hah)

To tell the truth i get hard off of physics simulations in real games, which is why im really looking forward to FLEX being implomented into real games, i would rather play a game with low texture/model settings but with cool gimmicky physics

I always try to keep all the gimpworks settings on, because it does more than just giving me a clearer and sharper image, it adds shit like nicer looking destruction, nice water physics, and best of all, hair simulations (hah)

To tell the truth i get hard off of physics simulations in real games, not just in tech demos, which is why im really looking forward to FLEX being implomented into real games, i would rather play a game with low texture settings but with cool gimmicky physics

I'm the opposite - I prefer crisp textures and nice effects more than Physics - I don't mind not having the most realistic smoke if that gives me 10fps more :D

I usually start with what Geforce experience gives me , then i remove retarded settings like motion blur and DOF . then i check my fps and if it's above 100 i increase settings till it's about at 80-90 . If i have less than 80 i remove fancy AA ( replace it with FXAA ) and fancy shadows ..

I'm the opposite - I prefer crisp textures and nice effects more than Physics - I don't mind not having the most realistic smoke if that gives me 10fps more :D

I played killingfloor 2 with 40 FPS, just so that i could have all the gameworks settings at max

I played killingfloor 2 with 40 FPS, just so that i could have all the gameworks settings at max

HERETIC! :D - I played Witcher 3 on Low-Medium just to have higher fps ^_^

I usually start with what Geforce experience gives me , then i remove retarded settings like motion blur and DOF . then i check my fps and if it's above 100 i increase settings till it's about at 80-90 . If i have less than 80 i remove fancy AA ( replace it with FXAA ) and fancy shadows ..

Show some love to DOF, it looks pretty sweet sometimes, although it takes like 20 FPS off of skyrim using realvision ENB

HERETIC! :D - I played Witcher 3 on Low-Medium just to have higher fps ^_^

It didnt look all that good either, but, atleast i knew in my heart, that i was getting the full experience