dvi

David_comet

Why is there a dvi port on the back off my pc but its not connected to the graphics card so it cant be used for a monitor.

Sorry if its a dumb question.

Why is there a dvi port on the back off my pc but its not connected to the graphics card so it cant be used for a monitor.

Sorry if its a dumb question.

You can use that port if you dont have a GPU, so your are using the integrated graphics of your CPU. Some people use it to connect to another display (that they can't connect to their GPU for some reason)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Is it on the motherboard back panel like shown on the picture below? If so, that will be part of your on-board graphics.

post-81453-0-13447100-1448988158.jpg

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

You can use that port if you dont have a GPU, so your are using the integrated graphics of your CPU. Some people use it to connect to another display (that they can't connect to their GPU for some reason)

Does that mean i can plug a monitor into it and use it as a second screen.

Is it on the motherboard back panel like shown on the picture below? If so, that will be part of your on-board graphics.

It is ya. Does that mean i can plug a monitor into it and use it as a second screeen.

Does that mean i can plug a monitor into it and use it as a second screen.

You will have to turn on intergrated GPU ON inside of your BIOS if you are using a dedicated graphics card as well. But any reason you dont just use your GPU for both screens?

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You will have to turn on intergrated GPU ON inside of your BIOS if you are using a dedicated graphics card as well. But any reason you dont just use your GPU for both screens?

There is only a dvi and hdmi on the GPU. I have a monitor plugged into the HDMI and the monitor only has vga and hdmi

Is it hard to turn the intergrated gpu on (keep in mind im a complete noob to all things pc as im only new to the pc world)

There is only a dvi and hdmi on the GPU. I have a monitor plugged into the HDMI and the monitor only has vga and hdmi

Is it hard to turn the intergrated gpu on (keep in mind im a complete noob to all things pc as im only new to the pc world)

51PdaaTE3UL._SX355_.jpg

It is not very difficult to do it, but you could do this:

51PdaaTE3UL._SX355_.jpg

Get a DVI to HDMI adapter which will work very well.

It's nor hard to turn on the iGPU.

I use it for addition screen.

Go into the bios and enable the iGPU. Make your dedicated GPU the main GPU, enable split screen or dual screen what ever it's called for it.

Save and reset.

Go into Windows and download your iGPU drivers and anything else regarding Intel that you think you'll need. Install and restart.

You're good for lift off!

It's not a race to the bottom.