First gaming PC for a friend of mine

Go to solution Solved by thenotoriousone,

There is nothing wrong with this Cooler Master PSU.

Just swap 960 for 380 and you are golden. 

Hi everyone! (this is my first post, I´m sorry if I had done something wrong)

A Good friend of mine just bought Starwars battlefront and noticed, it doesn´t run on the Laptop wich he shares with his parents.

So he asked me what PC he should buy. If he should go with a DELL optiplex or a Alienware and so on.

I told him that we can just build one for him.

The build is for 1080p, singlescreen gaming, but he wants to get started with some editing too.

The Budget is about 950.- and should cover a CPU,MoBO,RAM,GPU,PSU,SSD,HDD, Peripherals and Windows 10.

I made a basic configuration. Is this build reasonable?

Please notice, I live in switzerland, wich means that Prices are really akward. Nvidia Cards are way cheaper than AMD ones here.Also: the hardware list to chose from is very limited

- intel core I5 4460 (NON-K) (will be running with boxed cooler)

- Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V rev.1

- Patriot Viper 8gb Kit (Basically the cheapest 8gb kit available here)

- Geforce GTX 960 Windforce 2x OC (2gb gddr5), (basically the cheapest 960 available here)

- Samsung EVO 850 Basic, 120gb (the cheapest SSD available here)

- 500W Coolermaster B500 V2 (I want to give him some expandability options for the future, but still the cheapest 500w PSU)

- 1tb Seagate HDD (once again, the cheapest I found)

- Coolermaster gaming Devastator Bundle (The best bang for the buck peripherals here)

- Windows 10 home (obvious)

- free case (my old PC case, thermaltake commander MS-i)

- free Screen (my old 1080p panel)

in switzerland, this tops out at about 960.- total (934 Dollars)

Would you consider this a good gaming PC? 

Like I said before, it should run battlefront without hickups, should completely dominate minecraft and support my dear friend for the next few years. (once he´s out of school and is working, he can just sell the 960 to me and upgrade his graphics to whatever he can afford)

I thank you for your response :)

Hi everyone! (this is my first post, I´m sorry if I had done something wrong)

A Good friend of mine just bought Starwars battlefront and noticed, it doesn´t run on the Laptop wich he shares with his parents.

So he asked me what PC he should buy. If he should go with a DELL optiplex or a Alienware and so on.

I told him that we can just build one for him.

The build is for 1080p, singlescreen gaming, but he wants to get started with some editing too.

The Budget is about 950.- and should cover a CPU,MoBO,RAM,GPU,PSU,SSD,HDD, Peripherals and Windows 10.

I made a basic configuration. Is this build reasonable?

Please notice, I live in switzerland, wich means that Prices are really akward. Nvidia Cards are way cheaper than AMD ones here.Also: the hardware list to chose from is very limited

- intel core I5 4460 (NON-K) (will be running with boxed cooler)

- Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V rev.1

- Patriot Viper 8gb Kit (Basically the cheapest 8gb kit available here)

- Geforce GTX 960 Windforce 2x OC (2gb gddr5), (basically the cheapest 960 available here)

- Samsung EVO 850 Basic, 120gb (the cheapest SSD available here)

- 500W Coolermaster B500 V2 (I want to give him some expandability options for the future, but still the cheapest 500w PSU)

- 1tb Seagate HDD (once again, the cheapest I found)

- Coolermaster gaming Devastator Bundle (The best bang for the buck peripherals here)

- Windows 10 home (obvious)

- free case (my old PC case, thermaltake commander MS-i)

- free Screen (my old 1080p panel)

in switzerland, this tops out at about 960.- total (934 Dollars)

Would you consider this a good gaming PC? 

Like I said before, it should run battlefront without hickups, should completely dominate minecraft and support my dear friend for the next few years. (once he´s out of school and is working, he can just sell the 960 to me and upgrade his graphics to whatever he can afford)

I thank you for your response :)

Couple of things, 

1. Get an r9 380 

2. GET A BETTER POWER SUPPLY. An xfx 550w or a seasonic 520 or 620 watt. Even if you have to drop the SSD, its not worth your pc exploding  

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Couple of things, 

1. Get an r9 380 

2. GET A BETTER POWER SUPPLY. An xfx 550w or a seasonic 520 or 620 watt. Even if you have to drop the SSD, its not worth your pc exploding

Uhm, it's a Cooler Master B500. We're not talking about a cheap no-name brand.

Uhm, it's a Cooler Master B500. We're not talking about a cheap no-name brand.

What is the b500? i cant even find it anywhere online...

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Everything here looks fine. Except check for an R9 380 in you area instead of the 960. if you can find a lower priced one.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

There is nothing wrong with this Cooler Master PSU.

Just swap 960 for 380 and you are golden. 

Give me a boost. 

Couple of things, 

1. Get an r9 380 

The r9 380 is like 50.- more expensive than the 960 here.

It´s weird to live here O.o

To everyone suggesting me a r9 380:

it´s like 50.- more expensive here O.o

What is the b500? i cant even find it anywhere online...

You probably cannot find it, because afaik its only available in Europe.

The first rev. is from 03/2013 and the second rev. is from 09/2014.

I think a lot of people aren't interested in it because it doesn't use the 80Plus certification that most other PSUs use and that's why you also won't find any reviews about it. It uses the ecoPSU standard, which is newer. You can read about it here: http://ecopsu.eu/?lang=en

To everyone suggesting me a r9 380:

it´s like 50.- more expensive here O.o

Do you only buy from shops in Switzerland or also from shops in Germany? I think you can get your rig a lot cheaper there.