Gpu overheating?

katiekitsune

I'm running the latest beta drivers for amd's crimson utility with my Asus strix r9 390x oc and every time I run a benchmark or stress test it crashes after the core temp goes above 84℃. It's this normal overheating our a driver problem? (my oc'd settings are core 1150mhz, voltage 1250, mem 6480mhz, pwr trgt 150%)

wan

there was a hotfix released for the crimson driver

you need to update the driver again

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

150% power target? That on an AMD GPU will make it hotter than the core of the sun yea.

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Maybe he meant power limit? Also the Strix 390/xs don't have VRM cooling.

Isn't that still a bit high? I mean, I did 110% on my GPU and it went over 80°C. And that's on an Nvidia GPU. I can't imagine 150% 

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Isn't that still a bit high? I mean, I did 110% on my GPU and it went over 80°C. And that's on an Nvidia GPU. I can't imagine 150%

The power limit change did nothing to my temperatures.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

power limit only allows the GPU to get higher clocks using bigger power draw from the PSU

oh forget one thing what is your PSU?

The power limit change did nothing to my temperatures.

Yea I did set the limit as a target. So it always went that high... Might also be the reason why the OC was unstable :/

power limit only allows the GPU to get higher clocks using bigger power draw from the PSU

my psu is a corsair rm750i

wan

my psu is a corsair rm750i

ok download the updated version of the driver and report back

If the power target is an issue what is the optimal setting? (voltage same as factory profiles 150% is the max)

wan

ok download the updated version of the driver and report back

My gaming evolved drivers and crimson drivers read as being the beta they just released to fix the fan speed bug though when I try to install it the installer stops responding at 2% even with most programs closed (aside from gpu tweak running in the background)

wan

My gaming evolved drivers and crimson drivers read as being the beta they just released to fix the fan speed bug though when I try to install it the installer stops responding at 2% even with most programs closed (aside from gpu tweak running in the background)

use Display driver uninstall

boot to safe mode

then install the driver minus the Raptr and the Gaming Evolved program