Fake Amazon black Friday sennheisers HD 598 SE

Nexxus

Alot of people are complaining that the sennheisers HD 598 SEthey picked up off of Amazon on black Friday are fake units. It is highly recommended to look into it when you get them. Alot of them are failing sennheisers authentication check.

To make matters even more complicated though the alleged fakes don't seem to follow known patterns of the old fakes.

Some say the units they get are fake.

Some say real

Some say sennheisers authentication databases isn't up to date

Its been recommended if your headset does fail to contact sennheiser and apparently they can walk you through figuring out if your units are real. So do that before disputing with your CC/PayPal or contacting amazon.

Some links about the subject

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1WMOITSCKW6GH/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0126HISOO

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/3ux8bf/meta_users_reporting_fake_sennheiser_hd_598s_from/cxiirxh

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3uu6ks/anyone_who_has_bought_the_hd_598se_please_check/

Check your headphones (apparently notoriously undependable though, if you fail to pass dont panic, contact sennheiser directly)

http://qr-sennheiser.com/index.php?id=5&L=1&id=5

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080TI | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

well shit thanks for posting this I would have never known

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

well shit thanks for posting this I would have never known

Ya my buddy pointed it out cause I bought a pair after Linus mentioned the sale. I've tweeted sennheiser but haven't heard back from them hopefully its an error on sennheisers end and we arent stuck with BS units

Edited with links by the way if you wanna look more into this, if you are looking for this thread im reporting it to be moved to audio so more potentially effected people will see it rather then it getting buried in general

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080TI | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Ya my buddy pointed it out cause I bought a pair after Linus mentioned the sale. I've tweeted sennheiser but haven't heard back from them hopefully its an error on sennheisers end and we arent stuck with BS units

Edited with links by the way if you wanna look more into this, if you are looking for this thread im reporting it to be moved to audio so more potentially effected people will see it rather then it getting buried in general

Yeah I think I will be fine. I'm getting mine tomorrow so I won't know tell then.

ps. the reddit links are the same

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Yeah I think I will be fine. I'm getting mine tomorrow so I won't know tell then.

ya I cant check til friday and fixed thanks

System Specs

Something else to note, found on linus video on the headphones

Kato Boii 12 hours ago

What's up with this talk about HD 598 SE not checking as genuine on Sennheiser website's authenticity check page? I just read a few posts by some people who received their Black Friday purchase from Amazon.

Reply · 26

LinusTechTips 12 hours ago

+Kato Boii If you buy the SE from Amazon directly, it is legit. I've personally spoken to Sennheiser about it.

I got my link directly from linus so I think im okay but rather be safe and sorry and spread the word.

System Specs

Edited with link to authenticity verification

System Specs

Something else to note, found on linus video on the headphones

Kato Boii 12 hours ago

What's up with this talk about HD 598 SE not checking as genuine on Sennheiser website's authenticity check page? I just read a few posts by some people who received their Black Friday purchase from Amazon.

Reply · 26

LinusTechTips 12 hours ago

+Kato Boii If you buy the SE from Amazon directly, it is legit. I've personally spoken to Sennheiser about it.

I got my link directly from linus so I think im okay but rather be safe and sorry and spread the word.

yeah I think it might just be a bug with the authentication process

yeah I think it might just be a bug with the authentication process

Lets hope, it probably is but better safe then sorry.

System Specs

Mine came up as "fake" but they look and sound good. I did request an exchange that will be here today. I'm curious to do a side by side, but I assume it's a database error.

That said if your going to put an authentication code on the outside of a box and it doesn't work... your asking for people to return/exchange until they get a valid pair. I expect someone at sennheiser is freaking out!

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

Amazon probably commissioned a bunch of units for black friday and sennheiser haven't update all their authentication. It's highly unlikely to have convincing fakes on a month old product of such high quality and sold by Amazon.

Amazon probably commissioned a bunch of units for black friday and sennheiser haven't update all their authentication. It's highly unlikely to have convincing fakes on a month old product of such high quality and sold by Amazon.

This.

The only fakes I'd worry about being sold direct from Amazon.com would have to be perfume and cologne due to how large that market is, particularly higher end such as Creed.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

I have both pairs sitting in front of me!!!   One pair passes the Sennheiser Authentication the other does not!  Side by side EVERYTHING IS EXACTLY THE SAME!  

Box- every sticker is in the correct location, every sticker is a sticker

Packaging- Same exact plastic, with white foam pads

Instructions/Manual- Neither had any

Cords-Same texture, length, and feel

Phones- same feel wieght, slide, sound, everything

Basically Sennheisers authentication is not perfect, I thought that from the beginning but it cost me nothing to prove it.  I will post some side by side photos later, but really its the same so there is not much point!

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

System Specs