What is Information Technology ( IT ) exactly?

SImoHayha

So this is my new career am looking at. Originally I wanted to be an Engineer, however that proved to be math heavy which am not exactly a master of. 

I actually signed up for a class in my High-School, which offered a Microsoft Fundamental Class. This class is currently teaching us how; to use a computer, change computer settings, set up storage pools/spaces, how different file systems work, cloud, and data servers. Now we are on device security currently.

Now of course I have somewhat of a idea of what an IT does. They usually fix computers, and set up servers. However mostly in movies and what people say to me from time to time they work with computers, which I love. Ever since I was extremely young many people called me the IT kid because I would solve problems involving technology all the time. 

Now am looking at colleges and many of them involve being able to use multiple OS's ( Like Linux, OS and Windows ) Networking ( Which am assuming are servers )  Security and of course programming. Lastly of course people skills, can't be an IT if your lacking in the people skills.

So yea am just wondering if am understanding IT correctly and if any IT's that are out there and on this forum can also help me get pushed into the right direction. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Information Technology is a super broad field and contains most technology related careers, it's when you get more in-depth that you discover the actual names for careers, like server architect, electronic engineer, etc.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Information Technology is a super broad field and contains most technology related careers, it's when you get more in-depth that you discover the actual names for careers, like server architect, electronic engineer, etc.

Electrical Engineers are not IT related, IT has a software focus in fields like UI and networking protocols they rarely deal with hardware at all.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

IT vs CS vs CE? What are the similarities and differences? What can one get you that another can't?

Also, @OP check out the YouTube channel EliTheComputerGuy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4EOyXKjfDUhCI6jlOZZYQ

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

Software engineers don't actually use that much math in real world scenarios unless you wanted to get into graphics programming or something similar. 

Sorry I cant exactly answer your question but i too am going into IT related studies next year after a seemingly failed stint at going to university to become a computer engineer. Math aint for me. Or any of my other classes for that matter. 

Most of it is computer related. I.E. dealing with networking, data structures etc. as far as I know

The Real Guy. The Best Guy.

At my current job I'm just a System Operator. But I'm considered as part of the IT team. I'm the guy that posts transactions for the bank overnight. You may notice that your transactions are pending until a certain time, and then they become posted and balanced. That's my job! Our IT team consists of myself, my boss and one co-worker in a small private bank. We all kind of just wait for people to have issues with their computers and help them out to keep the day going smoothly without technology becoming more of inconvenient than efficient. 

This includes but is not limited to: General computer maintenance/upgrades, Printer Maintenance, Networking of any kind, setting up presentations for corporate, Security is a big one, and much more.

I consider IT to be basically any person or group of people dedicated to working with technology to help others whom of which may or may not have practice in it to help themselves. In other-words, unless you know what you're clicking, you're not going to get admin privileges, and the worst you can do is limited by the person who does know what you could do. 

Spoiler

Currently doing year 11 computing and it's a bunch of networking stuff such as LANS and WANS as well as the implications of technology on society, but most of this is written work. As for actual work you look a pseudo code, Visual basic, IPO (input->processing->output) and other thing like excel and word. I live in Australia so it may be different for you assuming you live in the US or Canada, but it shouldn't change to much. As for careers there's a bunch of fields you can go into from Programmer which creates a solution to a info tech problem by making a program(s) to computer sciences which looks at things like robotics and real world applications of computers as well as more business orientated jobs such as I.T consultant or server manager.  sorry for the wall of text hope this helps  :)