so i was playing portal 2 max setting and my pc decide to not shut down but freeze the screen and then the fans went full blast this also happens with csgo so what could i do to avoid this i had no trouble with this before and i played killing floor 2 maxed out for a good ammount of time yesterday btw i have a msi gtx 980

Have you checked your temperatures?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Have you checked your temperatures?

no how can i check them while playing

Get HWMonitor, run it, play for a while, and check max temps.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

You can use HWMonitor as @Statik suggested or you can use MSI Afterburner and have it display temperatures on the screen while you're in-game.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

You can use HWMonitor as @Statik suggested or you can use MSI Afterburner and have it display temperatures on the screen while you're in-game.

so how do i get msi afterburner to display it in game i have the side graph but i cant find out how to get it in game

so how do i get msi afterburner to display it in game i have the side graph but i cant find out how to get it in game

I will go through it step by step.

1.) Open the Afterburner interface.

2.) Open up Settings.

3.)Navigate to Monitoring

You should see a list of all the things in your graph. From here, you may take things off the side graph or make other changes, which we will be making for our purposes.

4.) Select something you wish to have displayed in-game.

5.)Down at the bottom, you should see a check-box that says "Show in On-Screen Display." Check that off.

6.) Rinse and repeat for everything else you wish to monitor.

Might I suggest monitoring GPU temperatures and CPU temperatures. You can find CPU Temperatures at the bottom of the Active Hardware Monitoring Graphs. Let me know if you have any problems.

I will go through it step by step.

1.) Open the Afterburner interface.

2.) Open up Settings.

3.)Navigate to Monitoring

You should see a list of all the things in your graph. From here, you may take things off the side graph or make other changes, which we will be making for our purposes.

4.) Select something you wish to have displayed in-game.

5.)Down at the bottom, you should see a check-box that says "Show in On-Screen Display." Check that off.

6.) Rinse and repeat for everything else you wish to monitor.

Might I suggest monitoring GPU temperatures and CPU temperatures. You can find CPU Temperatures at the bottom of the Active Hardware Monitoring Graphs. Let me know if you have any problems.

i clicked on show in logitech key board lcd display and nothing happened

click the one above that, the one that says show in on-screen display.

EDIT: you also need to set up a keyboard shortcut. in the on-screen display tab, in the show on-screen display box, type ctrl+alt+o. then, in game, type ctrl+alt+o.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

You need to click the option for On-Screen, not the Logitech LCD display option.

Edited by Godlygamer23

You need to click the option for On-Screen, not the Logitech LCD display option.

be confused

for earth is made of stars

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

This sounds more like driver crashing than temp issue. I'd suggest using HWmonitor or OpenHardwareMonitor and running GPU and CPU benchmarks. They will stress bit more than game and you can monitor temps while test is running.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

This sounds more like driver crashing than temp issue. I'd suggest using HWmonitor or OpenHardwareMonitor and running GPU and CPU benchmarks. They will stress bit more than game and you can monitor temps while test is running.

dont think its driver unless the new drivers are unstable but it happens after a while of playing as if it where heat it even happened on goat simulator today but i guess ill see if the old drivers i had which had no problems could be the fix almost forgot it could be drivers

be confused

for earth is made of stars

Get HWMonitor, run it, play for a while, and check max temps.

Good news it was bad driver i was reading of other people crashing on 359.00 so i reverted to my old ones no freezes yet so i think i fixed it

Good news it was bad driver i was reading of other people crashing on 359.00 so i reverted to my old ones no freezes yet so i think i fixed it

Congrats! Let us know if it doesn't work.

Congrats! Let us know if it doesn't work.

*sigh thought i had fixed it completely but nope i crashed playing lfd2 now kf2, goat sim i optimised my disk defragmented my drive hdd of course cleaned registry cleaned errors ran test in norton looked at temps not raising above 55c on anything im clueless the only thing i can think of doing is trying a old psu i have from a prebuilt pc which i dont even know the rating for i have a evga 600win currently and with ware on it i think maybe it could not support my pc anymore but if that doesnt work i dont know what else to do

hey guys i started a new topic on this and someone recomeneded a os reset and it worked like a charm :)