fiio e10k for iPod?

XOpalmtrees
Go to solution Solved by Guest Kloaked,

Its the iPod classic 7th generation 160gb

The headphones I'm using are Sennheiser HD 555

That iPod should be fine on producing proper audio unless you're into the whole audiophile movement who swear on dedicated .flac players or whatever.

I'd look into some better headphones and see what that yields for your ears.

I was wondering about the opinions of using a fiio e10k for my iPod? I know that it needs constant power from the USB connection, I would have it plugged into a wall outlet the entire time (this is for instances while I'm laying in bed). I don't want to spring for the "mobile" options because they are more than double the price of the e10k, and I'm not going to be taking it on the go with me, I just want something that can sit on my bedside. The headphones I'll be using are sennheiser hd 555. 

Thank you!

why would you recommend the a3?

Bigger battery mainly, if you decide to take it somewhere.

are the sound qualities in the same area, and the only major difference is having the battery?

are the sound qualities in the same area, and the only major difference is having the battery?

Your sound quality is going to be coming from the iPod and the files on it. All the amps are doing is amplifying the signal and they do just that.

Your sound quality is going to be coming from the iPod and the files on it. All the amps are doing is amplifying the signal and they do just that.

the files I'm going to be running from my iPod are AIFF running at a 48 kHz sample rate, 16 bit sample size, and 1536kbps bit rate. Is the amplifier going to give me better sound with these files, or is it meant for amplifying lower quality mp3 files to make them sound better? I had to go in and change all the audio profiles of my songs to get to those rates and such, and was hoping to take it a step further with an external sound solution.

Has a batter at all, more like. The E10k isn't mobile friendly.

the files I'm going to be running from my iPod are AIFF running at a 48 kHz sample rate, 16 bit sample size, and 1536kbps bit rate. Is the amplifier going to give me better sound with these files, or is it meant for amplifying lower quality mp3 files to make them sound better? I had to go in and change all the audio profiles of my songs to get to those rates and such, and was hoping to take it a step further with an external sound solution.

In my experience nothing Fiio makes is much better than what ships with an iPod or iPhone. Any reason your music is at 48kHz? Seems like a strange sample rate.

Don't think so, as all it's doing is amplifying a signal to make it louder but not distort it or anything like that. So if your volume is fine with the iPod then you don't need an amp.

I thought he just meant in comparison to the E6 is all since I linked two devices.

In my experience nothing Fiio makes is much better than what ships with an iPod or iPhone. Any reason your music is at 48kHz? Seems like a strange sample rate.

I was trying to make a selection of albums on my iPod the highest quality that iTunes and iPod would allow, since I couldn't get FLAC to go directly, I played around with the settings on AIFF and those were the highest that would load into my iTunes and iPod (for reference its an iPod Classic 160gb).

Don't think so, as all it's doing is amplifying a signal to make it louder but not distort it or anything like that. So if your volume is fine with the iPod then you don't need an amp.

I thought he just meant in comparison to the E6 is all since I linked two devices.

Volume isn't a problem. Is there a solution that will increase overall sound quality with the file types that I have?

Better headphones maybe?

Which iPod is it?

Better headphones maybe?

Which iPod is it?

That iPod should be fine on producing proper audio unless you're into the whole audiophile movement who swear on dedicated .flac players or whatever.

I was just trying to see if there was a way to make the experience better on a smaller scale. looks like an headphone upgrade is the way to go in my situation.

Thanks for all the help!

I was trying to make a selection of albums on my iPod the highest quality that iTunes and iPod would allow, since I couldn't get FLAC to go directly, I played around with the settings on AIFF and those were the highest that would load into my iTunes and iPod (for reference its an iPod Classic 160gb).

You do know that upsampling to a non-integer multiple (2x, 4x, etc) is not optimal for sound quality, right? And that upsampling doesn't really improve sound quality?

Not trying to be mean, here. I just think you're severely over-thinking this. For starters, AIFF is usually an uncompressed archival format, analagous to WAV. Not at all an optimal use of space as it does not improve sound quality over losslessly compressed formats at all. I would recommend re-encoding your original FLAC files (which it sounds like you have) to 320kbps CBR mp3, or ALAC at the very least. And leave the music at it's native sample rate.