Best High capacity HDD

jnmbhj

Today I saw a few really good deals on HDDs 

I saw that the 4TB WD Green drive was on sale for $130 

And I also saw a 4TB Seagate Desktop HDD in sale for $99 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178338&ignorebbr=1

I plan on recording a whole lot of video and need tons of storage. 

But regardless I have heard that the Seagate hard drives are not very reliable. And many people claim they don't last over a year. So I am not sure what I should get. And if there are other suggestions.  

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

WD RED and seagate NAS drives, also seagates barracudas ive never had a problem with but your mileage my vary

WD RED and seagate NAS drives, also seagates barracudas ive never had a problem with but your mileage my vary

I ended up buying a seagate NAS HDD 4 TB instead because it was also on sale from newegg for $120

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

~snip~

Hey there jnmbhj,

NAS drives don't really differ from regular ones of used in regular desktops since their extra features are not utilized at all (TLER, etc.). If yo are planning on recording video and playing a game or another application from that drive you might need to get a performance drive such as WD Black: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=GW4PXB otherwise you could easily go with a drive with less vibrations, noise and pwoer consumption such as the WD Green: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=FgwdAH
WD Red, as @Skeletonfish suggested, should work fine but as I said NAS drives' features won't be utilized and it would work pretty much like a WD Green drive. :)

Feel free to ask if you have any questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hgst deskstar nas drives are my recommendation. Not because they are nas, but because they are top of the line reliability, much faster than all but the wd black and barracuda lineup for consumpers while being quieter than the aforementioned drives.

Also they tend to be extremely cost competitive.

@Captain_WD start recommending the better drives that WD produces for less under the hgst moniker lol.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Hey there jnmbhj,

NAS drives don't really differ from regular ones of used in regular desktops since their extra features are not utilized at all (TLER, etc.). If yo are planning on recording video and playing a game or another application from that drive you might need to get a performance drive such as WD Black: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=GW4PXB otherwise you could easily go with a drive with less vibrations, noise and pwoer consumption such as the WD Green: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=FgwdAH
WD Red, as @Skeletonfish suggested, should work fine but as I said NAS drives' features won't be utilized and it would work pretty much like a WD Green drive. :)

Feel free to ask if you have any questions :)

Captain_WD.

I was always a fan of WD drives but at the moment they are much more expensive. For the price, $120 the seagate drive is cheaper than the WD Green drive $130 Faster, and has a higher manufacture estimate rating. The WD red drive is better in almost all aspects except in the price department costing $150. 

I was planning on using the drive for primary recordings and for long time storage. Maybe 2-3 years and storing. The reason why i choose the NAS drives was because it was rated for a much longer life span. I knew i wasn't going to need to use a faster drive because i would be recording at about 50-100Mb/s (bits)and even when the seagate drive is almost at max capacity it still returns 640 Mb/s (bits)