Can i run 1 monitor off of MOBO (VGA) and 1 off of GPU (DVI)?

Hi,

So i've found this rather old BenQ monitor, a 1080p 60Hz monitor. BenQ G2411HDA to be exact. Unfortunatly it only has 1 VGA input and thats it. My R9 390 GPU does not have one of those but my 

MSI Z97S krait edition motherboard does. My question is : Can i run dual monitors with the BenQ g2411hda plugged into my motherboard , while my samsung SyncMaster 2333 is plugged into my GPU? 

I'm buying new monitors soon, not sure when. Dual monitors would be great, i read some posts about this and it seems to work for a bunch of people.

I plugged in the benq into my mobo but it says 'no signal' ; what should i turn on/off in my bios settings? 

One last thing: the benq is analog (vga) , while the samsung is digital. Is this an issue? 

Thanks and have a good one lads!

Hi,

So i've found this rather old BenQ monitor, a 1080p 60Hz monitor. BenQ G2411HDA to be exact. Unfortunatly it only has 1 VGA input and thats it. My R9 390 GPU does not have one of those but my 

MSI Z97S krait edition motherboard does. My question is : Can i run dual monitors with the BenQ g2411hda plugged into my motherboard , while my samsung SyncMaster 2333 is plugged into my GPU? 

I'm buying new monitors soon, not sure when. Dual monitors would be great, i read some posts about this and it seems to work for a bunch of people.

I plugged in the benq into my mobo but it says 'no signal' ; what should i turn on/off in my bios settings? 

One last thing: the benq is analog (vga) , while the samsung is digital. Is this an issue? 

Thanks and have a good one lads!

Yes, you can do that no problem.

you can but it's a bad idea - some people have a lot of stuttering occurring. Best buy an active VGA to DVI adapter

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

you can but it's a bad idea - some people have a lot of stuttering occurring. Best buy an active VGA to DVI adapter

I've installed the vga drivers for my mobo, And this is just temporary. I have alot of schoolwork where i write an assignment while reading something and i think it will be handy to have my browser with info on one monitor and word on the other. Anyway its working :) Thanks for quick response! For now i dont think i'll mind the stuttering

A passive DP-VGA adapter would do the trick too and be a fraction of the price. 

I've installed the vga drivers for my mobo, And this is just temporary. I have alot of schoolwork where i write an assignment while reading something and i think it will be handy to have my browser with info on one monitor and word on the other. Anyway its working :) Thanks for quick response! For now i dont think i'll mind the stuttering

it makes gaming a bit painful. Adapters are cheap. Look into it :)

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

A passive DP-VGA adapter would do the trick too and be a fraction of the price. 

ive only found dvi-d to vga adapters, literally no dvi-i to vga.. and my gpu only has 2 dvi-i aswell as hdmi and DP

ive only found dvi-d to vga adapters, literally no dvi-i to vga.. and my gpu only has 2 dvi-i aswell as hdmi and DP

You mind checking again? I'd love to know which model you have if it really has DVI-I. I thought they dropped the DVI-I altogether from 390 and 390X and the lower tiers have only one. At least the reference design 390 only has two DVI-Ds and I've yet to come across one with DVI-I in it. 

You're mixing up DVI-I and DVI-D. DVI-D is the one without the four extra pins on the side, DVI-I is the one with the extra pins.

The R9 390 has no VGA support and so cannot have DVI-I connectors. The only way to get VGA is through a DisplayPort to VGA adapter, fortunately they are quite inexpensive.

You mind checking again? I'd love to know which model you have if it really has DVI-I. I thought they dropped the DVI-I altogether from 390 and 390X and the lower tiers have only one. At least the reference design 390 only has two DVI-Ds and I've yet to come across one with DVI-I in it. 

I bought a sapphire R9 390 wich has hdmi , displayport, mini displayport and a dvi-D port, excuse me for that lol i get confused at times.. not really a computer guy either i just built one with the help of some of the members on this forum :D Sorry!!!

You're mixing up DVI-I and DVI-D. DVI-D is the one without the four extra pins on the side, DVI-I is the one with the extra pins.

The R9 390 has no VGA support and so cannot have DVI-I connectors. The only way to get VGA is through a DisplayPort to VGA adapter, fortunately they are quite inexpensive.

yeah thanks for pointing that out. Well im good for now, it works off of my mobo, i had to install VGA drivers. probably not buying any adapters since im not gonna do dual monitor gaming.. Haven't experienced stuttering or anything with browsing the internet and editing wich is what im gonna be utelizing the 2nd monitor for. Also little side question , when i lock my pc the 2nd monitor goes black, any idea on how to have it on with a lockscreen wallpaper ? Microsoft disabled this in win10 sadly so any 3rd party software that you know of that can solve this issue?

I bought a sapphire R9 390 wich has hdmi , displayport, mini displayport and a dvi-D port, excuse me for that lol i get confused at times.. not really a computer guy either i just built one with the help of some of the members on this forum :D Sorry!!!

Oh, it's fine! :D Those damn things are a huge pain because they're so similar.