6 displays

Virgule

Hello,

I'm looking to find a budget way to run 6 displays off of one (preferably) or two GPUs, without having to get a W9100 (that has 6 mini DP connectors). I don't need graphical power as this is not for gaming purposes; only common desktop applications.

First of all, either with AMD's eyefinity or NVidia's equivalent, is it possible to connect displays on different GPUs in a Xfire/SLI configuration ? Ex : displays 1 to 3 on first GPU and displays 4 to 6 on second. That seems like an easy solution if it's possible. If so, what are low tier cards that support 3 displays ?

Secondly, I've heard of DP hubs. How much displays can I run out of this ? Can someone suggest a GPU/Hub combination that would support 6 displays ?

Thanks for the help.

Spoiler

Hello,

I'm looking to find a budget way to run 6 displays off of one (preferably) or two GPUs, without having to get a W9100 (that has 6 mini DP connectors). I don't need graphical power as this is not for gaming purposes; only common desktop applications.

First of all, either with AMD's eyefinity or NVidia's equivalent, is it possible to connect displays on different GPUs in a Xfire/SLI configuration ? Ex : displays 1 to 3 on first GPU and displays 4 to 6 on second. That seems like an easy solution if it's possible. If so, what are low tier cards that support 3 displays ?

Secondly, I've heard of DP hubs. How much displays can I run out of this ? Can someone suggest a GPU/Hub combination that would support 6 displays ?

Thanks for the help.

you can do like me and loo karound for old gpus. 

I picked up 2 660ti's for a 5 screen flight simulator yesterday (260$ total)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

AMD GPU's supports 6 screen Eyefinity and nVidia doesn't support 6 screen Surround. Buy a AMD GPU, check to see if it can support up to 6 monitors (natively off of one GPU). Also since your not gaming, you probably won't need two GPU's for using common desktop applications.

Most AMD current and last gen GPUs don't have 6 connectors though. So do I need a GPU with DP to use a DPU hub with, along with other connectors on the GPU ? What low GPU supports this ?

Spoiler

you can do like me and loo karound for old gpus. 

I picked up 2 660ti's for a 5 screen flight simulator yesterday (260$ total)

I need 6 displays.

Spoiler

3D Club sells these cool DP to 3x HDMI out for three monitors. Here buddy let me do some digging around and I'll report my findings to you.

Thanks.

Spoiler

I need 6 displays.

it can do 6. just don't turn sli on ! (or crossfire)

hell it could do 8

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Well here's something, it's a couple gen. old. But it natively has 6 mini-displayports out. Also is pretty cheap and should easily get the job done.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C7EPSVS/ref=psdcmw_284822_t1_B0085O90SQ

Let me know if you need anymore help.

A R7 360 has so much more performance and costs way less. If I can have 6 displays with a R7 360 and a DP hub, I'd rather get that instead of a 4 year old GPU that doesn't support DX12 and may have driver issues.

Spoiler

Well I think you answered your own question. Get that.

I still don't know what GPU supports how many displays. I can't find the info on AMD.com. I'm sure I couldn't use DP hubs off of like 3 DP connectors in order to have 15 displays.

Spoiler

A R7 360 has so much more performance and costs way less. If I can have 6 displays with a R7 360 and a DP hub, I'd rather get that instead of a 4 year old GPU that doesn't support DX12 and may have driver issues.

well have fun with your hub then :rolleyes:

Get monitors with daisy-chaining capabilities, and you'll only need 2-3 DP outputs on the card (depending on the resolutions you want). This will open up some more options. There are some older AMD cards that had 2 Mini DisplayPort outputs.

Get monitors with daisy-chaining capabilities, and you'll only need 2-3 DP outputs on the card (depending on the resolutions you want). This will open up some more options. There are some older AMD cards that had 2 Mini DisplayPort outputs.

Can you recommend a particular monitor ? Seems as though this is a more expensive option though. I could get an entry level GPU with DP hub or 2 of those entry level GPUs and be fine with pretty much any monitor or, as you suggest, get daisy-chaining capable monitors, with a higher end card that has 2-3 DP ports. Seems like the latter is the more expensive option, is it not ?

Spoiler

Can you recommend a particular monitor ? Seems as though this is a more expensive option though. I could get an entry level GPU with DP hub or 2 of those entry level GPUs and be fine with pretty much any monitor or, as you suggest, get daisy-chaining capable monitors, with a higher end card that has 2-3 DP ports. Seems like the latter is the more expensive option, is it not ?

DP hubs have limits, you won't get 6 monitors unless you have 2 hubs and DP outputs. Daisy-chainable monitors basically have DP hubs built-in, so there's no difference in what GPUs you need to get it working. Any setup that will work with hubs will work with daisy-chaining.

If you want 1080p then the Dell U2414H or U2415 (1920x1200) are good choices, or for 1440p the U2515H or U2715H.

With 1080p you can get up to 4 monitors from a single DP on your graphics card, whether you use a hub or daisy chain. With 1440p you can get up to 2 on each port.

DP hubs have limits, you won't get 6 monitors unless you have 2 hubs and DP outputs. Daisy-chainable monitors basically have DP hubs built-in, so there's no difference in what GPUs you need to get it working. Any setup that will work with hubs will work with daisy-chaining.

If you want 1080p then the Dell U2414H or U2415 (1920x1200) are good choices, or for 1440p the U2515H or U2715H.

With 1080p you can get up to 4 monitors from a single DP on your graphics card, whether you use a hub or daisy chain. With 1440p you can get up to 2 on each port.

Thanks for the help.

Spoiler

Pretty much any Gigabyte G1 card has 6 outputs, 4 DP and 2 DVI, I run 4 monitors on mine, I'm not sure exactly but I'm sure you could run most of them off it. If it won't run all 6 you could use a hub or daisy chain for the last 2 monitor outputs you need.