Does power saver and battery saver actually result in better battery life?

I recently bought an MSI laptop. While I am happy with its performance, I am extremely upset with its battery life. I was not expecting anything spectacular seeing how it has an i7 and a 970m inside (at least while gaming), but my battery performance is still crap even when battery saver and the power saving profile is on. I was expecting more than 3 1/2 hours when not gaming,when gaming its a lot worse.

Isn't battery saver and power saver mode supposed to increase battery life, otherwise how can I increase battery life on this MSI notebook?

Model is MSI GE62 2QF running Windows 10.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Battery saver does a few things in the background, or rather stops things in the background. Things like your Mail app checking automatically, or automatic downloading of new tweets in Windows 10 apps.

It may adjust the profile of your Intel CPU slightly, putting it in a 'less aggressive' turbo mode, but that's all it really does.

Your laptop contains a 970M - it can't really be turned off since that's probably what's being used to drive the display even when on the desktop. The running power of that will be higher just to keep the chip turned on, compared to the Intel integrated graphics.

Not to mention, the designers probably had to make the battery smaller to make room for all that hardware without making the laptop too huge.

TL;DR

Battery saver can make a difference, but not as big as you might expect.

| CPU: Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.26v | GPU: AMD R9 290X @ 1090MHz |

| RAM: 2x4GB Samsung Green @ 2133MHz OC |

| PSU: Corsair RM850 | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | 

Battery saver does a few things in the background, or rather stops things in the background. Things like your Mail app checking automatically, or automatic downloading of new tweets in Windows 10 apps.

It may adjust the profile of your Intel CPU slightly, putting it in a 'less aggressive' turbo mode, but that's all it really does.

Your laptop contains a 970M - it can't really be turned off since that's probably what's being used to drive the display even when on the desktop. The running power of that will be higher just to keep the chip turned on, compared to the Intel integrated graphics.

Not to mention, the designers probably had to make the battery smaller to make room for all that hardware without making the laptop too huge.

TL;DR

Battery saver can make a difference, but not as big as you might expect.

Makes sense. Maybe I was expecting too much when not gaming.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14