Confused with that software do I use for stress testing?

nivra552

So I have Overclocked my I7-6700k @ 4.6ghz with 1.280v Using the kraken x61 water cooler  and when I used the stability test of aida64 it hovers around 60-70c but when I use Intelburntest It goes over 70c...what do you guys use??and also I tried playing wither 3 for an hour it was on 55-65c....what do you think??is it safe?what do you recommend?Thanks!

AIDA64 for a good few hours.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I use aida64. Test it for a few hours and then try to play the games you usually play. (But don't go into a comp CS:GO game right after you overclocked your CPU and GPU. That's not a smart thing to do... :P )

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

I use aida64. Test it for a few hours and then try to play the games you usually play. (But don't go into a comp CS:GO game right after you overclocked your CPU and GPU. That's not a smart thing to do... :P )

is 2 hours enough?

Aida 64 or intel tuning utilities works as good tests

Is intel burn test not good?

is 2 hours enough?

if I really want to check for stability I would be leaving it for 24h.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

if I really want to check for stability I would be leaving it for 24h.

how about the temps?what temps should I stop if ever it reaches that

It's what that is, as far as I know, aka intel's test is fine

why does it run hotter compared to aida64?

how about the temps?what temps should I stop if ever it reaches that

90 is not a good number to hit so over 85 is what I usually set as a limit

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

is 2 hours enough?

If you want to be 105% sure that your overclock is 24/7-stable then you should let it run for 24 hours. But I mean, if you have decent cooling and it's not a beast overclock, an hour or 4-5 should be enough.

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

90 is not a good number to hit so over 85 is what I usually set as a limit

85 is bad for long term stability.

why does it run hotter compared to aida64?

Maybe we are talking about different tests? Intel has a couple different ones, just use aida as I know that one is fine

85 is bad for long term stability.

That's why it's my limit, aka the test fails if it hits that, also temp =/= to stability

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

if you wana do a really thorough stress test to ensure stability just use them all Prime 95 / Aida 64 / Intel burn... and any others you can find... the only thing is though... most ppl are really lazy and dont normally do that... including myself lol

No Excuses, Play Like A Champion!!!  

if you wana do a really thorough stress test to ensure stability just use them all Prime 95 / Aida 64 / Intel burn... and any others you can find... the only thing is though... most ppl are really lazy and dont normally do that...

I wouldn't use Prime 95 (or at least not the newer versions) because it overvolts the cpu making the test kinda pointless, as it doesn't show how the system will run at max load normally, and overvolting can kill hardware if it gets out of hand, but multiple tests are good

intel XTU

or aida

just dont touch prime95 and you will be safe :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

That's why it's my limit, aka the test fails if it hits that, also temp =/= to stability

I mean if you are at 85 its bad for long term lifespan for the CPU.

I use Intel XTU myself.

Prime95 and LinPack (Intel Burn Test) are known to cause problems.

really? i've never had any problems with them... although i could just be lucky i guess...

No Excuses, Play Like A Champion!!!  

My personal plan of attack is usually 10 passes of IBT and some Cinebench runs while keeping an eye on temps. Cinebench will usually crash or freeze up if your OC isn't very stable, after that its real world testing, you might find sometimes you need to go ahead and bump up the voltage just a tad more after some real world testing, if you get something in the ballpark be sure you always have a profile saved in BIOS.

I mean if you are at 85 its bad for long term lifespan for the CPU.

That is true, it will affect the life span, but keep in mind there really isn't any consumer software besides stress tests that will push a cpu that hard, so if your stress test temps stay below 85, you likely won't see any real use temps above 70-75 assuming the limiting factor is your cooling method, basically stress test are a worst case senario, for instance I use a stock cooler with my 4790k, when stressed it will get to 85 degrees with 4.4Ghz clock speed using intel XTU, but the highest temp I've recorded while doing anything else (I've got the cpu to 100% load without a stress test) is 75 degrees, so really 85 is a good max to follow imo

It does depend on what platform/generation you use.

Aida 64 or intel tuning utilities work as good tests, just run them for a while (2-4 hours more if you want to be certain)

intel XTU

or aida

just dont touch prime95 and you will be safe :)

2vxomf9.jpg

So I just finished stress testing for about 7 hours...what do you guts think?? do you see any problems?my max temp was about 74...but when I turned on my AC cause I was going to sleep already it reduced to 68...and maybe I should replace my radiator fans to noctua...I am using a cougar cfd 140mm right now do you think I would get lower temps if I use the NF-A14?..thanks guys 

So I just finished stress testing for about 7 hours...what do you guts think?? do you see any problems?my max temp was about 74...but when I turned on my AC cause I was going to sleep already it reduced to 68...and maybe I should replace my radiator fans to noctua...I am using a cougar cfd 140mm right now do you think I would get lower temps if I use the NF-A14?..thanks guys 

very good OC :)

you could even try 4.8, you have quite a bit of temp headroom from 74 to 85

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

very good OC :)

you could even try 4.8, you have quite a bit of temp headroom from 74 to 85

2anhba.jpg

so this is my score in cinebench,,,is it right??I have no idea ahaha....

974 is

Like someone else said as long as you are in Intels recommended max voltage and temps are fine I would keep pushing it and see how high you can get, if it has another hundred or two in it go for it. You can always save multiple profiles and run the lower one for everyday use.