Seagate NAS drive vs regular drive for storage

Coolioalert

Hey guys, just wondering what would be better as an everyday storage drive in my PC for movies, music, pictures between the Seagate NAS drive and the regular 4TB drive. The NAS drive has a 3 year warranty vs the 2 year for the regular drive.

Regular:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_1086_210_212&item_id=057970

NAS:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_1086_210_212&item_id=061511

Regular is all you need unless you have mission critical stuff, as well as 2-6 other HDD's nearby all vibrating and causing potential damage to everything, then go NAS.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Regular is all you need unless you have mission critical stuff, as well as 2-6 other HDD's nearby all vibrating and causing potential damage to everything, then go NAS.

I have 3 other drives in my computer, older ones at that, I just wonder if there is any downside to going with the NAS that I am unaware of?

the regular one. nas drives functions with different algorithm.i think it has better warranty because its expected to be used less.also the spin up time is lower on the nas drive. for normal use get a regular hdd or enterprise(if you want longer warranty).avoid nas/surveillance etc hdds

the regular one. nas drives functions with different algorithm.i think it has better warranty because its expected to be used less.also the spin up time is lower on the nas drive. for normal use get a regular hdd or enterprise(if you want longer warranty).avoid nas/surveillance etc hdds

They use the same algorithms; NAS (like WD Red drives) and surveillance (like WD Purple drives) are rated for longer duty cycles. Enterprise drives can be considered NAS drives, like certain Seagate Barracuda drives and WD SE, RE, and other -E series of drives. If you're going to be pushing your drives in a hot server room environment with other drives all around it spinning and causing vibration all day and all night, seven days a week, 365 days of the year, then you use high end WD SE, RE or other -E series drives. If you're going to be pushing it in one server, then midrange drives like the WD Red and Purple are suitable. If you're only going to be using your desktop in the day, where the drive will not be spinning at night, and you don't push your drive hard, then a WD Blue drive is suitable. If you are going to be pushing your drive balls to the wall and want performance, then get a WD Black. If you want efficient low wattage, then get a WD Green.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

I think NAS drives are more geared towards typican NAS use, which means sitting idle most of the time, but also with several of them in the same drive cage. They need to produce less vibration and be more resilient to it. The bearing is probably slightly different too.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Why would a NAS be used less?  If anything, a desktop HDD for storage will be used less as there's only 1 person using the PC whereas a typical NAS has a whole family accessing it at any time they want to.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Why would a NAS be used less?  If anything, a desktop HDD for storage will be used less as there's only 1 person using the PC whereas a typical NAS has a whole family accessing it at any time they want to.

because they turn off a lot. and stay like that