G1 Gaming or Sapphire R9 390?

Yo whats up lads,

Im about to build a computer for Christmas and i was debating between a GTX 970 or R9 390, I eventually when with the 390 and was set on getting the G1 Gaming from Gigabyte but i have had people tell me that it can overheat easily? is this true, i was also wondering if i went with the Sapphire Nitro Tri-x would that over heat, i have heard it is one of the best 390's 

Thanks any help would be much appreciated.

G1 Gaming .. To be honest, Gigabyte has the best fans out there. not gonna lie.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Thats good, 

have anyone of you guys experienced overheating with the g1?

I'm a whore for the G1 Gaming cooler however I believe Sapphire has the best GPU's when it comes to AMD cards, however on the NVIDIA side it's EVGA and Gigabyte all the way.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Thats good, 

I have two G1 Gaming GTX 960's while albeit are less hot cards generally in SLI right next to each other and the top card has never gone above 70c.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Thats good, 

The coolers are good on Nvidias cards but not on Amds. Sapphire is the way to go for a R9 390

[CPU] i5-650 [GPU] MSI GTX 750 OC [RAM] Generic 6GB [MOBO] MS-7613 [HDD] WD Blue 1TB [PSU] Silverstone Strider Essential 500W [Next build Q1 2016 http://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/Presmo/saved/ ]

Please follow your own topics.

G1 is supposedly the best 970 out there from what I'm hearing. I went with the Strix 970 just because of the price factor but if you can get the G1 do it.

PCPartPicker: z97 Gaming 5 | 750w Photon | 850 Series 250gb SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | LG25um56-P | Corsair K70 RGB | Asus Strix 970 4gb | WD Blue 1TB | Logitech G502 | i7-4790k | H100i GTX w/ (Noctua NF-F12's) | HyperX Fury Black 1x8gb 1866 | NZXT Hue+ |  ATR2500 | ATH-M50x |

Yo whats up lads,

Im about to build a computer for Christmas and i was debating between a GTX 970 or R9 390, I eventually when with the 390 and was set on getting the G1 Gaming from Gigabyte but i have had people tell me that it can overheat easily? is this true, i was also wondering if i went with the Sapphire Nitro Tri-x would that over heat, i have heard it is one of the best 390's

Thanks any help would be much appreciated.

Tthe gigabyte 390 is junk.

Tier list for 390 and 390x

S tier: MSI, Sapphire

A tier: XFX, PowerColor

Trash tier: Asus, Gigabyte

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Tthe gigabyte 390 is junk.

Tier list for 390 and 390x

S tier: MSI, Sapphire

A tier: XFX, PowerColor

Trash tier: Asus, Gigabyte

Sorry, but don't group Asus in with Gigabyte. The only trash cards are the Gigabyte cards. The Asus cards are fine except that they don't have any memory cooling. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Sorry, but don't group Asus in with Gigabyte. The only trash cards are the Gigabyte cards. The Asus cards are fine except that they don't have any memory cooling.

The asus cards are junk too and have been for a while for AMD cards. It's stock clock is lower than a reference 390 and it doesnt OC for shit. The fact that the memory also isnt cooled is a big deal since the thing that separates 390s from 290s that arent Vapor X, is better cooling. All it has going for it is looks, but I'll take function anyday.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

The asus cards are junk too and have been for a while for AMD cards. It's stock clock is lower than a reference 390 and it doesnt OC for shit. The fact that the memory also isnt cooled is a big deal since the thing that separates 390s from 290s that arent Vapor X, is better cooling. All it has going for it is looks, but I'll take function anyday.

No, not anymore. That used to be for the 290/x but the 390/x is fine now. Though there aren't any review out there for that card but here. https://youtu.be/AvuvFbgScOc?t=11m41s

Unlike Gigabyte, Asus doesn't volt lock the cards. And they use the exact same coolers from Nvidia. Gigabyte on the other hand uses an inferior cooler as compared to the Nvidia side. Overclocking on an asus card is vastly better than on Gigabyte. 

If anyone were to only choose only between either Asus or Gigabyte. Asus takes it by far. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

No, not anymore. That used to be for the 290/x but the 390/x is fine now. Though there aren't any review out there for that card but here. https://youtu.be/AvuvFbgScOc?t=11m41s

Unlike Gigabyte, Asus doesn't volt lock the cards. And they use the exact same coolers from Nvidia. Gigabyte on the other hand uses an inferior cooler as compared to the Nvidia side. Overclocking on an asus card is vastly better than on Gigabyte. 

If anyone were to only choose only between either Asus or Gigabyte. Asus takes it by far. 

Oh, I didn't even know DCU2 390 was a thing. I was talking about the Strix 390, which is definitely junk.

Oh, I didn't even know DCU2 390 was a thing. I was talking about the Strix 390, which is definitely junk.

Strix 390 definitely isn't junk. Its like the PCS+(not in terms of cooling performance) but with an opposite fan curve. The default fan curve is really weak as compared to the other cards. Not many reviewers noted that but HardOCP did http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/08/17/asus_r9_390x_strix_directcu_iii_8g_oc_review/9#.VlwAb3YrKUk Look at the temp when overclocked 

After applying our max overclock to the ASUS R9 390X STRIX DC3 8G, we also increased fan speed to 100%. With the fans operating at full speed heat dispersal was drastically improved, reducing the temperature to 78c.

It should also be noted that their max overclock here is 1185mhz on core with +75mv  going through the core, definitely not a shitty overclock. 

Strix 390 definitely isn't junk. Its like the PCS+(not in terms of cooling performance) but with an opposite fan curve. The default fan curve is really weak as compared to the other cards. Not many reviewers noted that but HardOCP did http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/08/17/asus_r9_390x_strix_directcu_iii_8g_oc_review/9#.VlwAb3YrKUk Look at the temp when overclocked 

It should also be noted that their max overclock here is with 1185mhz on core with +75mv  going through the core. 

Thanks for this. I still have an issue with it though seeing as your average customer is not going to be tinkering with things like fan curves. I'm seeing them in a better light nonetheless.

It should also be noted that their max overclock here is 1185mhz on core with +75mv  going through the core, definitely not a shitty overclock. 

Wait, I thought the 390 strix had bad VRM cooling.

Thanks for this. I still have an issue with it though seeing as your average customer is not going to be tinkering with things like fan curves. I'm seeing them in a better light nonetheless.

Not trying to say Asus is anything good but definitely not as bad as Gigabyte.

Wait, I thought the 390 strix had bad VRM cooling.

AS7V1905.jpg

Where'd you hear that from?

I've had 970 and 390 G1 Gaming in my case to help clients overclock their GPUs. 390 G1 Gaming was loud the first time.

While investigating, I dismantled the cooler and discovered that they apparently used far too much thermal paste. It was atrocious. Had to clean it all up, and I applied Coolaboratory Liquid Pro onto it. Works like a charm at 70 degrees later. Of course, be careful if you remove any stickers that voids warranty. Use a hair dryer or something to make it easily removable.