Overkill Black/White X99 Beast

TsundereShark

Hi all,

Finally got around to ordering my PC, and I need a name for it! My mates suggested "The Compensator", but Linus already took that name for his beast. Figured I'd do a build log while I'm here, too.

With any luck, everything should arrive sometime this week, so I'll start uploading photos then.

PARTS:
CPU: Intel Core i7 5930K
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming 6GB
MOBO: ASUS X99-Deluxe/U3.1
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4A2666C15 4x4 16GB
SSD: Intel 750 Series PCI-E 400GB
PSU: Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX
CASE: CoolerMaster Cosmos II (yes, I'm one of THOSE people)
Temporary Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX (swapping to a full water-cooling system in the after-Christmas sales)

If anyone's interested, I'm using a Corsair M65 RGB and Corsair K95 RGB too.

-Edit- I should probably mention this is going to get an overhaul soon, with a twin GPU in SLI, and double the RAM. I bought a lot of the components from a computer store in Aus that was closing down - got the RAM for $100AUD, etc.

anyone using the dark theme trying to read this? you know my pain

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

snip

1. You dont need a 5930K unless you need the extra PCI-E lanes for 3-way SLI or something. The 5820K is the same but cheaper

2. Might want to consider a HDD for bulk storage

3. PSU is complete overkill, something like a EVGA G2 750W would be better (While still having epic headroom)

4. Get some cheaper temporary cooling, unless you have another build that culd use the H110

5. Dominator Platinums are overpriced, you can find similar ram for far cheaper

6. Use the saved money to get a Titan X or something like that

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

1. You dont need a 5930K unless you need the extra PCI-E lanes for 3-way SLI or something. The 5820K is the same but cheaper

3. PSU is complete overkill, something like a EVGA G2 750W would be better (While still having epic headroom)

4. Get some cheaper temporary cooling, unless you have another build that culd use the H110

Edited original post in regards to points 1 and 5, I already had the cooler laying around from an old build, and I got $300 off the PSU so I figured it's more than I need, but it gives me plenty of head room for upgrades.

Edited original post in regards to points 1 and 5, I already had the cooler laying around from an old build, and I got $300 off the PSU so I figured it's more than I need, but it gives me plenty of head room for upgrades.

But why do you need a 5930K if you are only going 2 way SLI?

But why do you need a 5930K if you are only going 2 way SLI?

So I can have both cards running with x16 and the SSD with x8, rather than x8 on everything?

So I can have both cards running with x16 and the SSD with x8, rather than x8 on everything?

I will give you 100$ if you make the 750 run at x8. It only has x4 connector. The GPU's are neither going to be slowed down by gen3 x8.

the grill is real

And yes I forgot to quote. #dealwithit