PCI 2 x16 turns into x4?

Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

When I put my second graphics card on my Asus B85m-e/CSM board, AMD crimson says it is running on a x4 slot but on the website the motherboard is x16. SOMEONE PLS HELP!

It's not an x16 slot, it's an x4 slot. It just has an x16-sized plastic socket attached to it.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B85ME/specifications/

When I put my second graphics card on my Asus B85m-e/CSM board, AMD crimson says it is running on a x4 slot but on the website the motherboard is x16. SOMEONE PLS HELP!

Just because the physical size of it is 16x doesn't mean it is wired for 16x operation 

1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode) 

1 x PCIe 2.0 x1 

1 x PCI

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

It's not an x16 slot, it's an x4 slot. It just has an x16-sized plastic socket attached to it.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B85ME/specifications/

That's because it's wired for PCIe x4.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Do you know how much of a performance hit 2 r9 270x in crossfire will deduct? Or the results of it?

Plus having a second gpu won't allow running both cards at x16, it will always drop down to x8 and x8 at most. In OP's case it is x4 since the second slot is only wired for x4, so it drops down the slower of the two overall.