Canon EOS 70D vs. EOS M3 EF-M

Which one is better for shooting video?

Explanation would be great too as I'm new to cameras. 

Which one is better for shooting video?

Just video image quality: about the same, no big difference.  However there are other differences that make one camera better than another and I'm not talking about video recording.

The 70D does offer IPB and ALL-I modes, which does make it better than the M3.  It is also a more serious camera than the M3, and is designed to take more beating.

You can read about some tips for shooting video with the 70D here

http://www.starkinsider.com/2013/11/shooting-video-new-canon-eos-70d-good.html

And an article on the M3 here

http://www.eoshd.com/2015/04/canon-eos-m3-review-new-sensor-new-video-quality/

Both cameras will produce more or less the same image quality to the naked eye.  It's when you start working with the files in post production that the differences become more visible.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

70d no competition. The new eos m3 can barely keep up with the older sony a6000 in terms of features and quality. The 70d is by far the better option in every way. Both for pictures and video.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

70d no competition. The new eos m3 can barely keep up with the older sony a6000 in terms of features and quality. The 70d is by far the better option in every way. Both for pictures and video.

Out of the camera, the image quality differences are hard to notice with the eye.  It's the internal features and capabilities that make the 70D a better choice.

The Canon M3 seems like the Nikon 1 line of mirrorless cameras, half heartedly done and not designed to really compete with either brand's prosumer+ level of cameras.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I would say get the 70D. I own the original EOS M (I got it cheap for Black Friday last year). It's better than a point and shoot, but the AF system is slower than my old powershot camera on average. I'm sure the M3 is a lot faster AF wise, but still, the DSLRs with phase detection will kill it for photography. Also, if you want to use the EF lineup of lenses, you'll need a EOS EF-M to EF adapater, which I had to buy. Video wise, I think the 70D would have better quality. I personally think a larger camera will be easier to hold in the hand as well.

A fun bit about the EOS M lineup is that you can claim it's a powershot and have people be floored by the pictures it takes. It's also made of magnesium. Before my cousins would hit my old powershot, and they hit my EOS M....Yeah, they got hurt more than the camera did. You can also hurt someone with the EF-M to EF adapater, it's also solid magnesium.

I have my heart set on the 7D Mark II as my next camera though and I'll probably get the EOS M4 as a back up camera when it's dirt cheap like the EOS M was.