amazon explains how their drone service will work

pixeldensity

So amazon put out a video on how their upcoming drone delivery system (Amazon Prime Air) will work.

looking at the video, It looks like it will determine the landing area by scanning for a clear area and more importantly where the user puts the landing pad at.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

I could see this going down... Get it? Down? 

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

I sometimes wonder if Amazon *really* knows what they're getting into...

If it does takeoff, so many people are going to lose their jobs... If I had stock in UPS or something, I'd bail-out now since Amazon is going to be taking the wind right out from underneath your wings.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

What about the hillbillies that might shoot them down because they think its an alien or something? 

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

What about the hillbillies that might shoot them down because they think its an alien or something? 

the bot will engage "fracas" mode.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

the bot will engage "fracas" mode.

Guess we'll be seeing a lot more hillbilly monster sightings then...

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

If it does takeoff, so many people are going to lose their jobs... If I had stock in UPS or something, I'd bail-out now since Amazon is going to be taking the wind right out from underneath your wings.

That's economics. Fields lose their usefullness and others grow. Think of all the jobs created for people to design, test, maintain, and build the Amazon drones.

I'm sure when the automobile was getting big farriers (someone who trims horse hooves) were worried about their jobs. 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

this can only do very short trips and would require a drone launching warehouse in every town to put regular services out of business.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

didn't expect clarkson there. how goes top gear with amazon at the moment? 

first thing i thought of. 

drones, drones everywhere

that's when skynet becomes self aware and fights back

I happen to work for UPS and I don't see this completely destroying my job. This air service is a premium service. Requires prime and extra charge for this delivery. In the short term, there is little threat to my job. If they expanded this and made it really cheap, then it could eat up about 5 or 10% of our market share.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

I sure hope these things fly very high​, otherwise we're going to hear endless stories on the news about stolen packages. One could easily shoot it down.

That's economics. Fields lose their usefullness and others grow. Think of all the jobs created for people to design, test, maintain, and build the Amazon drones.

I'm sure when the automobile was getting big farriers (someone who trims horse hooves) were worried about their jobs. 

that's when skynet becomes self aware and fights back

I happen to work for UPS and I don't see this completely destroying my job. This air service is a premium service. Requires prime and extra charge for this delivery. In the short term, there is little threat to my job. If they expanded this and made it really cheap, then it could eat up about 5 or 10% of our market share.

Not going to lie, my statement was just so I could make bad puns.

Seriously though, I doubt it'll be very damaging to UPS, but it will take a chunk of business from shipping companies.

As for what Snickerzz said, 'Progress' at work as always.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Welp, guess people can go christmas shopping with a sniper rifle then.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

I don't see this working in highly populated area like big cities. Great for smaller density city/village.

It won't be in cities. It's already really efficient to deliver packages to densely populated areas, because of the existing transportation. The drone program is their anticipated most cost-effective way to cover the "last mile" in rural or suburban areas.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Now we need a video of May explaining the way the drone works.

And Hammond riding one /s.

Best comment ever 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Exciting future :) Im not gonna witness any drones flying around my area because closest Amazon warehouse is way too far away.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I called this months ago when they first announced the drone delivery, you were going to place a mark where you want the drone to land.  

Although I said that it was going to be a QR code.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Haha. Barnacules commented on the YouTube video.

I hope Amazon is prepared to lose each and every one of these. They are all going to be shot down with subsonic .22 LR or BB guns and this new design is a very visible and large target that is easy to hit. I think what Amazon is trying to do is really cool but the criminal element is going to make short work of this.

He's joking right? I hear this argument all the time when Drone delivery is mentioned. As a civilized society, we've managed to get along pretty well allowing parcels to be delivered. We don't see many postmen being robbed at gunpoint, we don't see many delivery drivers being mugged. Why do people think if drones are involved everybody is gonna lose their shit and start shooting them? Haha.

He's joking right? I hear this argument all the time when Drone delivery is mentioned. As a civilized society, we've managed to get along pretty well allowing parcels to be delivered. We don't see many postmen being robbed at gunpoint, we don't see many delivery drivers being mugged. Why do people think if drones are involved everybody is gonna lose their shit and start shooting them? Haha.

Because you're shooting down a drone, not a person. This'll just make it incredibly easy, especially if you don't live in a dense populated area with no one around to watch. Just comes down to how desperate people are.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

Civilized or not, there are plenty of buffoons on this planet that would not hesitate to commit such an act. 

And also, you're comparing a drone to human beings? 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Let's just hope the landing pad is clear of toddlers.

Toddlers are the landing pad. Gotta land safely, ya know?

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M